4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Belt Tensioner > can't put it back together (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 04:51 PM
THX
Hallelujah

Belt Tensioner > can't put it back together (pics)

Ok so here are some pics:

^ The bolt, small washer, the tension screw.

I put it in the order I think they should go in, problem is all that doesn't want to fit on what little space there is on the bolt. I was blindly unscrewing it of course, and most everything spilled to the ground in the process.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by THX
Ok so here are some pics:

^ The bolt, small washer, the tension screw.

I put it in the order I think they should go in, problem is all that doesn't want to fit on what little space there is on the bolt. I was blindly unscrewing it of course, and most everything spilled to the ground in the process.

Thanks for any help.
the(thin) washer is suppose to go in between the plate and the pole, theres suppose to be another washer much thicker(F) that goes on the other side of the pole, then the pulley, then the black cover then the nut. you didnt have to take the whoel thing apart to loosen the belt just loosen the nut.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:46 PM
THX
Hallelujah

k got it on, but item B was left off. the first pic already has a small washer between plate and the pole so i didn't know what to do with B.

thanks, and hopefully nothing breaks
Old 04-15-2006, 06:53 PM

NO! Take it all back off. I know it's a PITA working in that small space....but you left out that important little washer! Trust me, everything fits...I just had mine all apart recently. It goes in this order: small washer, adjusting bar, thick washer, pulley, small washer, big steel plate, nut. The small washer that you left out goes inbetween the steel plate and the pulley, and prevents them from rubbing really hard when you tighten the nut down. I'm not sure what will happen if you run it this way, but i can assure you, it isn't going to be good.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:30 PM
THX
Hallelujah

thanks man, u prolly saved me a ton of time in the end. i took off the a/c compressor and made sure all that stuff was in line.

the issue was item E according to the pic. if that tiny thin washer is not in the small groove of the pulley then it throws everything out of whack. it was a pita holding it steady on there while putting it on the bolt, but i got it.

let this be a lesson to anyone who turns up this thread after a search...

Never take off the tension pulley, just loosen the screw

the nut behind it is a square stabilzing nut for the alternator bolt, you don't need to remove that.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:25 PM

well, item E (according to your pic, the really thin wavy washer) goes between the tightening/loosening screw, and the bracket. It's just a little spring washer that keeps the two from hitting. This washer doesn't actually get bolted to that shaft. The real PITA is trying to get the back side of the shaft (with the square keyway) to line up in the bracket so that the shaft has enough room to bolt everything to.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by BlackMaxdout
NO! Take it all back off. I know it's a PITA working in that small space....but you left out that important little washer! Trust me, everything fits...I just had mine all apart recently. It goes in this order: small washer, adjusting bar, thick washer, pulley, small washer, big steel plate, nut. The small washer that you left out goes inbetween the steel plate and the pulley, and prevents them from rubbing really hard when you tighten the nut down. I'm not sure what will happen if you run it this way, but i can assure you, it isn't going to be good.
heh, he's right, i just did the same thing. I started the car and wow, screeching noises. Thought the belt was too loose to something. Played and played with it, then i looked over at the pulley and it wasn't moving. It was because i put the washer in the wrong place. but now the alternator is fine and got tons of other problems..-= )