4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

injector project

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 08:35 AM

injector project

so i had a fun project last week that i thought i would post about since i used much information from the forum to do it. my 95 max gle had been ideling poorly and had weeker exceleration over the past 2 months or so. car would almost "putter" when ideling. i was hoping to have a local technical college do the labor for free and i would just buy parts, but they claimed that the work was "more advanced than the class could handle" so yeah...yeah! anyway, i work in 12volts, so i have some intuition, but i am not a mechanic by anymeans, and i really dont enjoy working on engines.

so first step, i pulled the spark plugs and found that the plug in cylinder #1 was all gummed up. put in a new plug and the problem didnt change, so i then got a new coil from a junk yard maxima and the problem still didnt change. at that point i assumed it was the injector. since i know maximas are notorious for injector problems i decide i want to get a NEW one instead of a junk yard one that might only last 1,000 miles and go bad on me.

so i call my buddy at the local nissan dealership. he hooks me up with the nissan injector, upper and lower O rings, and the intake manifold gasket for $103 i think it was. i price i was more than happy to pay.

so i read through a couple of write-ups on how to take off the intake manifold and proceded to do so. the project wasnt overly difficult or anything. some of the hoses are a pain to get off, but i managed to do so. to get the injector out, i had to remove the fuel rail and bring it over to the work bench, but that was only 2 extra hoses to get that out of the car. also, according to a local shop each injector should read between 10-14 ohms. all of mine read inside those specs except the faulty one which read open.

i also baught a can of 3M carb cleaner and cleaned out all of the carbon build up that had formed from me running on 5 cylinders for the past 2 months. the EGR system was all plugged up, the plenum was full of carbon and the throttle body was "carbed up" as well. all of which are easy to clean when your car is all torn apart already.

since i had the project going, i decided to put in new NGK platinum plugs as well, so i went out and baught 6 new ones of those and thew them in as well.

threw it back together (took me 4.5 hours each way roughly) and although i was rather nervous to start my car for the first time, it runs beautifully now.

i also assume that not only by putting in the injector and getting my car to actually run on all cylinders, the addition of new spark plugs and cleaning my throttle body, that i have helped improve my gas milage, which is a big bonus with gas inching closer and closer to $3/gallon.

thanks to everyone who has posted on these topics as they were greatly appreciated, and if anyone has any questions on this project, feel free to ask.

sodie

95 pearl white gle....with LOTS of stereo equipment
Old 04-18-2006, 07:10 PM

Got any pictures of the project in progress?
Old 04-18-2006, 07:20 PM
SHIFT_up

"that i have helped improve my gas milage, which is a big bonus with gas inching closer and closer to $3/gallon."

Filled up today at 3.18/g
Old 04-18-2006, 07:27 PM

mine idles poor like that studder your talking about. but its only sometimes. i have been BACK AND FORTH with whether to just buy 6 new coils or what, its driving me crazy.
in case i need injectors, is that the going rate, or just a deal you got from your friend?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:51 AM

most of the local shops around here were asking around $115 per injector. before spending that type of change on them, i would spend some time makeing sure your problem isnt something smaller...such as your MAF sensor or something along those lines.

sucks to pay $3.18/gallon....is that for premium or what? currently i only run 89 oct in my car....they say $3.50/gallon by the end of the summer....ill be running/bladeing/biking around town alot more if thats the case!

and sorry, i didnt take any pictures. i think that there are plenty of pictures on the actual project and i dont have a digital camera...yeah i know...i suck, but if i didnt have to buy injectors i coulda afforded one!
Old 04-19-2006, 09:58 AM

I don't think its the maf, for some reason