4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Binding door hinges no more!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2001, 11:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok. Received my part today. For all of you who are interested it's the link-door part # 80430-51u01. I paid $17.57 each with discount from courtesy nissan. Please keep in mind that these are the front door units only. I have not yet done the rear doors. Ok, first of all, when you receive the parts, look to see which one says FL and which one says FR on it since they are for right and left doors. For install you will need a 10mm (i think) socket, a philips and a flat screwdriver and a damp towel. Begin by removing your door panel. There are two screws on the bottom and clips all around. After that you need to remove the closing door handle (in the middle of the door) which is held by a small screw. Once the screws are out, you will need to carefully remove the trim around the door handle (the one used to open the door) by pulling it first up, with a flat screwdriver, then down and finally to the left and it should slide right out. Once that is off, undo all the door clips with a flat screwdriver, be careful and gentle so you won't break anything. Once all the clips are popped off (there are 4) you can slowly lift the door panel off. Make sure you first clear the part near the sail right under the rearview mirrors. Pull the door panel up and remove it.

Ok. Now for the easy part. Open the door all the way and using the socket remove 3 bolts that hold the door-stopp-link. This is the unit between the actual door hinges and is used to prevent sudden fast door movement and to also stop the door. The older metal units had a manufacturing problem which would cause the doors to be very hard to open/close and to possibly cause squeaks during movement.

Once you remove the bolts, wipe them with the damp towel and do the same around the entire area as it might have some grease around it. Last thing you want is to get your car dirty. With the bolts removed, you will be able to simply push the old unit back into the door and it will fall to the bottom of the door. Once you have removed the plastic moisture cover from the door, take out the old unit and simply insert the old unit and bolt it back with the same screws. Then use some white grease to make it move smoother. Notice the huge improvement it immediately makes. Reinstall everything back the way it was and youre done. Enjoy, sip a beer.

The actual procedure took me 15 minutes this morning since i already had my door panels removed for other purposes so it should be a piece of cake for any of you.

Shumax, i'm terribly sorry you unnecessarily had to take your doors off and then try to realign them
You DO NOT need to remove the doors for this install.

If you want me to answer any of your questions or clarify anything, just email me. Hopefully someone can make this a stickie for everyone to see.

Thanks

Anton
Old 06-16-2001, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
Ok. Received my part today. For all of you who are interested it's the link-door part # 80430-51u01. I paid $17.57 each with discount from courtesy nissan. Please keep in mind that these are the front door units only. I have not yet done the rear doors. Ok, first of all, when you receive the parts, look to see which one says FL and which one says FR on it since they are for right and left doors. For install you will need a 10mm (i think) socket, a philips and a flat screwdriver and a damp towel. Begin by removing your door panel. There are two screws on the bottom and clips all around. After that you need to remove the closing door handle (in the middle of the door) which is held by a small screw. Once the screws are out, you will need to carefully remove the trim around the door handle (the one used to open the door) by pulling it first up, with a flat screwdriver, then down and finally to the left and it should slide right out. Once that is off, undo all the door clips with a flat screwdriver, be careful and gentle so you won't break anything. Once all the clips are popped off (there are 4) you can slowly lift the door panel off. Make sure you first clear the part near the sail right under the rearview mirrors. Pull the door panel up and remove it.

Ok. Now for the easy part. Open the door all the way and using the socket remove 3 bolts that hold the door-stopp-link. This is the unit between the actual door hinges and is used to prevent sudden fast door movement and to also stop the door. The older metal units had a manufacturing problem which would cause the doors to be very hard to open/close and to possibly cause squeaks during movement.

Once you remove the bolts, wipe them with the damp towel and do the same around the entire area as it might have some grease around it. Last thing you want is to get your car dirty. With the bolts removed, you will be able to simply push the old unit back into the door and it will fall to the bottom of the door. Once you have removed the plastic moisture cover from the door, take out the old unit and simply insert the old unit and bolt it back with the same screws. Then use some white grease to make it move smoother. Notice the huge improvement it immediately makes. Reinstall everything back the way it was and youre done. Enjoy, sip a beer.

The actual procedure took me 15 minutes this morning since i already had my door panels removed for other purposes so it should be a piece of cake for any of you.

Shumax, i'm terribly sorry you unnecessarily had to take your doors off and then try to realign them
You DO NOT need to remove the doors for this install.

If you want me to answer any of your questions or clarify anything, just email me. Hopefully someone can make this a stickie for everyone to see.

Thanks

Anton

Thanks for the info Anton,
Just curious about the grease, am I supposed to grease up the entire part ?? I'm really not sure what to grease and what not to grease other then that I think I will be able to do the rest of the procedure. Let me know. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2001, 02:20 PM

whats this do?
Old 08-31-2004, 12:32 PM
ChristheNite

Has anyone done the back doors? Mine are soooo sticky - just trying to get an idea how involved this job is.

Old 08-31-2004, 01:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My doors were so bad you had to literally push them the entire way closed and if you tried to slam them, it would stop the door before it closed.

I removed the limiter and it didn't make a bit of difference, so I cleaned my hinges with WD-40 and a rag, moving the door back and forth - over and over again - then I packed the hinges with grease. Open and close like new now.

I have plastic limiters though, so I don't know. I'd unbolt the limiter to figure out whether it is the hinges or the limiter before I would buy a part. Just an FYI.