4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

air bag light blinking

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 09:08 AM

air bag light blinking

I have a 99 maxima and the red air bag light in the middle of my speedometer is blinking. Does anyone know what this means, and how i can stop it? Please help, thanks in advance!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by h2yun
I have a 99 maxima and the red air bag light in the middle of my speedometer is blinking. Does anyone know what this means, and how i can stop it? Please help, thanks in advance!
it means ur airbag is not functioning correctly, mines been doing it for the last 2 months but i dont worry about i just threw my girlfriends pic up in front of it. Theres some simple procedure you can do to turn it off, it might be turn ignition on, then hit ur door sensor 7 times within 5 seconds, turn ignition off and then start car and it should reset the light. But i forget if thats the exact procedure so dont take my word on it. :P
Old 04-29-2006, 09:26 AM

Thanks surfman. I may not be able to ignore it however the way you do, safety is pretty important to me. Does anyone know to what extent this means the airbag is not functioning properly? Will it still engage in a crash? Anyone actually get the problem fixed, rather than the usual sensor tricks? Cost alot?
Old 04-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

this happen to my frontier
it was still under warranty so i dont need to pay anything
they said the air-bag computer is dead and they told me if repleace will cost almost a thousand without the warranty
on the invoice it say repleace sensor and diagnostic unit
Old 05-01-2006, 06:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

h2yun, my air bag light began blinking and it cost me $2700.The thing is that NO ONE can fix air bags except for NISSAN. I had to a code for module open. they replaced the actual air bag which is in the middle of you steerting wheel, the diagnostic unit behind it and the harness. They can reset the light but it will just come backon a few days later because they reset mine twice.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is a procedure in the stickies to reset the airbag light. Through a bit of luck I discovered that procedure is incorrect.
Do this:
1. Get in the car and leave the driver's door open.
2. Put the key in the ignition and turn the car to ON (not start)
3. As soon as you turn the key to "on", press the button in the door frame that turns the courtesy lights on 6 times within 7 seconds.
4. Without turning the key off go straight to starting the car.
5. The air bag light should still blink, but much slower.
6. Turn the car off and restart the car.

The airbag light should stay off. If you really do have problem it will come back in a few minutes or even hours or days. You might try rearranging the wires under the passenger seat. Sometimes that is all that is wrong.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:53 AM

thanks guys for all the info!

so i guess what im hearing is that i can reset the airbag light by the procedures you gave, and if the light comes back on later, then there is really somethign wrong with the airbag, in which case i should have it looked at and possibly fixed for the outrageous sums of money im hearing...

someone correct me if ive misinterpreted please, thanks!
Old 05-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

N, your right. I wish I had been a member of this website before my airbag situation. However, itis better to be safe than sorry. Air bags are a life or death situation. Don't be cheap when it comes to your safety.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

N, your right. I wish I had been a member of this website before my airbag situation. However, itis better to be safe than sorry. Air bags are a life or death situation. Don't be cheap when it comes to your safety.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:12 PM

How old is your battery? If your voltage drops below 9 volts it will trigger your Air Bag Light. Mine did the same thing. I had the factory battery till 3 months ago. I had it tested at Autozone and it failed. I got a new one and reset the light and no more problem.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:39 PM

My airbag light was on for a 3 to 4 years before I found this website to reset the computer and cut it off. I had shop diagnose the problem a few years back and they reset, but if it comes on again, then the airbag sensor is bag and needs to be replaced. It did come on and I didn't worry about it. I just stuck a picture of my daughter in front of it and I didn't see the light and thought the problem was gone. Nowadays after reseting the Airbag light, I don 't think the airbag will actually engage in a real front end collision. I had a couple of front fender wrecks and one head on hitting a wall in a shop. No injuries everytime but the airbag did not engage. With the car having 270,000 miles on it, I'm not gonn put the money into it.