4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Super High Mileage 4th Gen. - What would keep it from going forever?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 08:07 AM

Super High Mileage 4th Gen. - What would keep it from going forever?

My '98 Maxima SE has just ~65k on it. Unfortunately it's an auto, although that is nice in town, but I plan on keeping it until it just totally wears itself out -- which I'm thinking could take quite some time if I take good care of it.

My question is: What would prevent my Maxima from lasting basically forever? What's going to go first that will force me to give it up? Will the tranny blow-up at 250k and induce me to put that money to another car? The crankcase disintegrate? Any ideas?

I know there are at least a few higher mileage 4th gen owners here. Any input/thoughts? I'm curious to see if the 4th gen is like those Toyota pickups you see in Africa -- they just never die.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:15 AM

As the car depreciates and the repairs become more major you will reach a point where you have to decide if you wish to spend more to repair the car than what it will be worth after the repair. This is the point where most people trade up.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:39 AM
HallKemar

What would prevent my Maxima from lasting basically forever?
Not keeping up the maintenance(changing oil, timing belt, etc.)

What's going to go first that will force me to give it up?
(transmision slipping)

Will the tranny blow-up at 250k and induce me to put that money to another car?
Theres Maxima's that have over 250k on them that drive better then 06 Amercican Cars.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:47 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by HallKemar
Theres Maxima's that have over 250k on them that drive better then 06 Amercican Cars.
And new Altima's and Sentra's too....
Old 05-09-2006, 08:49 AM

Proper care and maintance will keep the car going and going.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:55 AM
this place is dead

I will say this though, if you car runs well and you do the maintenance you might be better off sinking money into it if the alternative is a car payment. My 97 has 156k and the only costly repair (aside from two accidents) was the starter I had replaced ($250).
I replaced the valve cover gasket and spark plug seals ($30). Changed the front rotors/pads and the rear pads. I am going to have to replace the axle on the driver's side ($100). I've had my car since 99, and I occasionally auto-x it.

It's not so much how long will it last, but what you can handle. The older the car is the electronics start screwing up, ie the power antenae won't go up or down, the stupid crappy bose head unit won't work right, the interior light will refuse to work, the trunk latch won't unlatch correctly, or something like the emergency brake will not work right in the cold.

There are a lot of cars that, if they run right, sinking a few grand or so into them over 10-15 years isn't that bad.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:10 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

I figure that spending a couple hundred bucks in repairs a couple of times a year is much better of a deal than a few hundred dollars a month every month for a newer car...
Old 05-09-2006, 09:14 AM

For the engine, it's basically indestructable, just take care of maintaince items. Also the 4th Gen does not have a timing belt.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:18 AM

well i personaly think that worst thing to do to a car is to buy it used. now i dont care what anybody says but cars get used to the way that people drive them. If you get a car from an old grandma who barely drove it and you are 16 you might have problems with it because 16 year old beat the crap out of cars especialy when their parents buy it for them. I for example had this happen to me, i bought a 93 t-bird form an old lady, 73k miles never had a problem with it. i know that because she is a friend of the family. anywayz the second month i got it $hit was falling apart.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by HallKemar
What would prevent my Maxima from lasting basically forever?
Not keeping up the maintenance(changing oil, timing belt, etc.)

What's going to go first that will force me to give it up?
(transmision slipping)

Will the tranny blow-up at 250k and induce me to put that money to another car?
no belt, timing chain
Old 05-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have two 96's:

-my SE - 193,000, 5 spd (runs flawless, interior plastic is just starting to show signs of brittleness, 2nd clutch/flywheel)

wifes GXE - 211,000 - auto, no problems whatsoever mechanically.

short of the interior wearing out, i am expecting one or both of these to go 300K.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:19 AM

Wear and tear will keep it from lasting forever. It's a machine made of metal. Like a paper clip if you heat it, cool it, and pound on it over and over again, it will eventually break if you even blow on it.

The most common cause of VG failure is main bearing failure. This can be prevented by frequent oil changes and using the proper viscosity oil for the climate you are in to ensure that the oil isnt so heavy that it cakes, and so light that it simply runs off metal parts.

There are also things you can do to ensure longevity. Add an oil cooler and a transmission cooler. Keep the RPMs as low as you can when you drive, and regularly maintain the car.

Gasoline also kills engines because it's very volatile and has little to no lubrication properties. Which is why diesel engines last much longer. Diesel not only acts as a fuel but also an internal lubricant.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:30 AM
SimStones

My '96 had 233K
take care of it like everybody else says general maint (oil, belts, brakes, etc)

My interior is start to look a lil worn, bose crapped out on me (no matter was gonna replace anyway), my sunroof shade broke(now have a temp moonroof), but mechanically, nothing bad has ever happened to the car. Done some minor work myself replaced axels and the starter, but thats about it
Old 05-09-2006, 10:43 AM

Keep up with your routine maintenance, and don't abuse it. If you just take good care of it, it will take good care of you.
Old 05-09-2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by PAREDLINE
Wear and tear will keep it from lasting forever. It's a machine made of metal. Like a paper clip if you heat it, cool it, and pound on it over and over again, it will eventually break if you even blow on it.

The most common cause of VG failure is main bearing failure. This can be prevented by frequent oil changes and using the proper viscosity oil for the climate you are in to ensure that the oil isnt so heavy that it cakes, and so light that it simply runs off metal parts.

There are also things you can do to ensure longevity. Add an oil cooler and a transmission cooler. Keep the RPMs as low as you can when you drive, and regularly maintain the car.

Gasoline also kills engines because it's very volatile and has little to no lubrication properties. Which is why diesel engines last much longer. Diesel not only acts as a fuel but also an internal lubricant.
i disagree, moderate rpms and low load ex. 3000rpms, is easiest on the engine... we also have the VQ, not the VG
Old 05-09-2006, 12:51 PM
SHIFT_up

Originally Posted by 99grnmaxgxe
For the engine, it's basically indestructable, just take care of maintaince items. Also the 4th Gen does not have a timing belt.
The 4th gen does have a timing belt. Not really a belt but more of a chain. I just found out about this so don't flame me.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:52 PM

My 97 Maxima just turned 121,000 and it runs as good as the day I purchased it. Friends and family ride in my car and swear it is brand new. The interior has held up very well. No tears in the leather, all electronics work fine, nothing to complain about. It starts up every morning with no problem. Still kicks butt on the highways - not afraid to race every now and then. This car is nothing short of amazing!

I hope to have my Maxima for some years to come.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:58 PM
Old Maxima Legend

was at walmart years ago, and saw this magic tonic stuff. been using it for years. says i dont even need to change the oil. so i just put the magic tonic in and its like... hmmm ... magic ! now you can find this stuff at most performance shops online
Old 05-09-2006, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by 99se5speed
The 4th gen does have a timing belt. Not really a belt but more of a chain. I just found out about this so don't flame me.
Yeah that's what I meant.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:36 PM

It just depends if you got lucky or not. Some people get really lucky and only change their oil, filter, air filter, belts, fuel filter, tires and brakes and that's it. While others have some kind of **** happen and have to replace their axles, trannies, pinion&rack, engines and etc.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:48 PM

My max has 270,000kms on it and runs great, with the interior also in great shape. Body needs repair every once in a while but that is because i live in the rust belt known as canada. I don't think that there is any magic way to make the car last forever. Just do all the regular maintenance, dont abuse it too often and expect to drop some money here and there for repairs.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:26 PM
bds

My '99 Max gle Auto has 170k. It runs great and looks great inside and out. I'v changed plugs, brakes, tires, batteries and fluids including PS fluid. I just changed the knock sensor and one ingition coil at about $70 each. Without a doubt this is the best car i'v ever owned. I hate to get a new one, I want to see how far she'll go. The AC is even still ice cold.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:30 PM
dot dot dot ...

234k here... Ahhh... Only time will tell
Old 05-09-2006, 05:37 PM
This ORG has saved me $$$$$$$$

Regular oil changes, transmission fluid change and flush, radiator fluid change and flush. The timing chain is supposed to last the life of the car. The water pump, not so sure although I have 96K on my 98 and haven't needed any major work except for a new starter and that is the easiest thing to replace, even for noobs.

Check your radiator mount thing that other people have been taking about on the ORG also.

My wives 93 Max has 136K on it and we've never had to replace anything. We did a major tune up on it last year as maintance and I just replaced a fuel injector but that's it.

These cars last forever man. I don't think I'll ever NOT buy a Nissan. Sure the parts are expensive compared to Ford or whatever but they last longer.

Also use better grade gas. I've only just realized it's importance after changing the fuel injector. The filter on that bad boy was terrible!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:04 PM

Ive got about 150k miles on mine, and ive been taking pretty good care of it. So far, ive had to replace my altenator, and it seems that my tranny might be going soon. Personally i think its more than worth the repair if you love the car like i do.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:24 PM

Im going to disagree with the keep it at low RPMS thing, for most of your driving thats fine, but if you dont get out there and beat on it every now and again, you are going to have more problems than if you did, not to mention less fun. just be sure and keep em low when its cold, and no when your temp gauge is at the middle, your oil is not at temp, give it 15 or 20 mins of running then it is.

Also change all fluids reguarlly and use good ones, esspescially oil and tranny

honestly if i was a betting man id bet before you had any real real big problems that out priced the car, it would end up in an accident and be totaled, this obvioulsy isnt always the case but for a lot of cars it is, and the more miles the more likely....we had an allante hit 432k when it was killed by a drunk driver, luckily for its owner its digital dash rolls over at 399,999 miles, so insurance took it down as a 32,000 mile car...nice feature
Old 05-09-2006, 06:56 PM

my SE - 193,000, 5 spd (runs flawless, interior plastic is just starting to show signs of brittleness, 2nd clutch/flywheel)
I use Armor All on the dash etc. about once a year to hopefully prevent that.

Regular oil changes, transmission fluid change and flush, radiator fluid change and flush.
What is the oil, tranny, and radiator fluids of choice here for the Maxima?

Oil wise, I've heard some good things about Castrol GTX (not sure if that was standard GTX or High Mileage though). I ask since until this point I've just been letting a shop do my oil etc. Now I figure I can make my car last longer if I do some stuff myself using materials I know to be superior and perhaps save a few dollars as well.

Originally Posted by kcryan
luckily for its owner its digital dash rolls over at 399,999 miles, so insurance took it down as a 32,000 mile car...nice feature
lol That's really funny.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I gotcha all beat

My wife has a 99 Max. And let me tell you- she DRIVES it. She is in outside sales, so the thing goes eveywhere-everyday and somtimes not in a nice way (my wife can be a "agressive" driver. I change the oil every 2000, flush the rad once every 2 years, and have the trans fluid changed every 40,000. This car is amazing. 155,000 and still going. I am chasing a 302 code on it as I type (I put in a new EGR), and stil there, anyways other then the previous mentioned problem the car has proved bulletproof. No axles, ant works, stereo even works.......just lots of brakes and lots of oil changes. One thing that has helped I think is, everynight the trusty steed gets parked inside the garage.

Jim
Old 05-09-2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by DanMaxima
I use Armor All on the dash etc. about once a year to hopefully prevent that.

What is the oil, tranny, and radiator fluids of choice here for the Maxima?

Oil wise, I've heard some good things about Castrol GTX (not sure if that was standard GTX or High Mileage though). I ask since until this point I've just been letting a shop do my oil etc. Now I figure I can make my car last longer if I do some stuff myself using materials I know to be superior and perhaps save a few dollars as well.

lol That's really funny.

NO NO NO ARMOR ALL, sounds good, looks good at first, but it wicks the moisture out of the vinyl (or leather) and is bad overall, but good for tires, actually not good, but not bad as long as you dont want them to last forever as well

As for fluids here are my reccomendations:

Oil: Mobil one if you can afford it, Castrol GTX if you cant, Mobil one changed every 5k, GTX every 3k.

Oil filter: Mobil MobilOne, Purolator PureOne, K&N, Purolator Premium plus, recomended in that order, also some others like WIX aernt bad, whatever you pick NO FRAMS!

Coolant: Prestone, anything non Dex-cool really, I use Zerex GO-5, good stuff but you have to clean out all of the old stuff if you want to use it, as long as its changed every 30k or 3 years, its no real problem.

Tranny: Every 30k Mobil One synthetic Dexron III, its worthe the extra $$ here trust me.

And every so often either Techron or FuelPower (google that last one its made by a company called "Lubecontrol") added to the gas to keep the fuel system nice and clean.

And last but not least, keep the car well waxed, helps keep rust off.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Nissan maniaco conpulsif

I sugest you read the sticky How to
and visit http://www.motorvate.ca
Get you car oil againt rust

mine have 287 000, KM tough
Done alternator starter ,clutch hose,shock moneroe, knock

Things to do : Pinion and rack , suspension bushing are my priorites
next better shocks, Tires, clutch, VQ35DE ,Greddy emanage U, Tint
Old 05-09-2006, 08:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
234k here
Originally Posted by =Jim Turner
I gotcha all beat
Not me
Old 05-09-2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by kcryan
NO NO NO ARMOR ALL...
Whoa, didn't realize that. So, should I not put anything on my dash, etc.?

Been looking over the how-tos. Thanks a ton for the insight. Fuel additive, how often is every so often? Yearly? 33k? Good point on the wax. This car has some "garage rash" and there are a few spots where I've noticed some rust.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Whoa, didn't realize that. So, should I not put anything on my dash, etc.?
You should only use water-based protectants on the interior parts. NOTHING with silicone.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:26 AM
100% chingon

Oil: Mobil one if you can afford it, Castrol GTX if you cant, Mobil one changed every 5k, GTX every 3k.
- Don't forget to change the OIL FILTER at 3000 even if you are using synthetic. Fill the new filter before putting it on to avoid oil starvation on start-up.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Not me
My '95 SE just turned 260K this morning. Only major work was the rear seal in the tranny had to be resealed when the 2nd clutch was replaced at 220K. On my 3rd set of brakes, 2nd radiator, 2nd water pump, 2nd alternator and 2nd starter.
I change the oil about every 10K and the Max still runs like a champ. I use to joke that at 300K, I would pull over and shoot it. But, the way it's running I figure I'll get at LEAST 340K out of it.
And I driver like Racer X too!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:52 PM

my 98 maxima se 5spd has 181,000 miles on it and it runs perfectly, ive done no major maintenance to it, the oil is always on the full line ive never added oil to it, the transmission is the only thing, it had a slight leak from the driver side output shaft from where the seal was knicked when it the driveshafts were installed awhile ago (2+ years ago) i just replaced both my driveshafts only cost me 250CAD, and im replacing my LCA bushings because i basically have most of the stuff off anyways. this car shows no almost no wear, when i tell people it has 291,000kms they dont believe me, its still fast too! the dash and interior shows maybe VERY little wear, only part is on the leather side bolster ont he drive side i think the leather is dirty there, but other then that the dash and everything looks new, the paint has some flaws (scratches etc) but other then that i have no doubts this car will easily make it to 250,000 miles if not 300,000. The most important thing is maintenence, maintain it well use good gas(92 is the gas thats been in this car) it should be fine. oh ya forgot to mention im on original clutch(181miles on it) and original engine!
Old 05-10-2006, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by clive
Don't forget to change the OIL FILTER at 3000 even if you are using synthetic...
Yeah, I plan to. I should use the ~$8 Nissan oil filter, correct? (Based on motorvate.ca, link)

Where do you guys usually get your oil and filters? Somewheres online?

Not sure what oil has been used in my max until this point at ~65k. I called the shop up and they said they used synthetic Camble/Kandle or something. No clue how good it is; couldn't find it online.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:01 PM

i find some use nissan oem oil filters, some use the mobil 1 filters but i just use oem nissan filter with mobil 1 synthetic.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:02 PM

Yeah, I plan to. I should use the ~$8 Nissan oil filter, correct? (Based on motorvate.ca, link)

Where do you guys usually get your oil and filters? Somewheres online?

Not sure what oil has been used in my max until this point at ~65k. I called the shop up and they said they used synthetic Camble/Kandle or something. No clue how good it is; couldn't find it online.
The M1 can go for 5k in good circumstances, the Purolator might be pushin it at that, but M1 is said to be good for 15k (along with their new EP oil) so 5 should be no problem. Also K&N can do 5k as well, the OEM is ok but for the extra $2 go for the M1, its worth it
Old 05-10-2006, 05:04 PM

If it was Kendall, its good oil, their GT-1 synthetic is pretty good, im more of a M1 fan, but its not bad, but their GT1 semi syn (or blend if you will) is one of the best blends around

Quick Reply: Super High Mileage 4th Gen. - What would keep it from going forever?