4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP!!! CELs ON, CODE "1105"

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 05:08 PM

HELP!!! CELs ON, CODE "1105"

this is the second time i got the code 1105(p0733), it says something about the third gear ratio. IS there any way to fix this problem. Read the stickies and got the following;

Since DTCs 1103 to 1106 deal with the transmission, there is info on the 1106 DTC. Everywhere you see "4th gear", simply substitute "1st gear".

Diagnostic Trouble Code 1106 means "Automatic Transmission 4th gear malfunction."

This malfunction is detected when the automatic transmission does not shift into fourth gear or the torque converter clutch does not lock up as instructed by the Transmission Control Unit. The factory service manual lists these possible
causes...

- Shift solenoid A
- Shift solenoid B
- Overrun clutch solenoid valve
- Line pressure solenoid valve
- Each clutch
- Hydraulic control circuit
- Torque converter clutch solenoid valve

You can do some troubleshooting without opening the automatic transmission. Find the harnesses which emanate from the transaxle. One of them terminates in a brown plastic connector with eight pins. This is connector F42, located (approximately) above the transaxle case and below the black plastic engine air intake ductwork. With the engine off, disconnect F42. You want to measure the transmission side of F42. Hold the connector such that the plastic latch is at the top. You should now see two rows of four terminals. These are numbered (top row, left to right) 1 - 4, and (bottom row, left to right) 5 - 8. Make resistance measurements between a clean ground and the following terminals:

#1, Shift solenoid B, 20 - 40 ohms.
#2, Shift solenoid A, 20 - 40 ohms.
#3, Overrun clutch solenoid valve, 20 - 40 ohms.
#4, Line pressure solenoid valve, 2.5 - 5 ohms.
#5, Torque converter clutch solenoid valve, 10 - 20 ohms.

There is also a "bench test" procedure for testing these solenoids with a 12 volt supply such as a car battery. However, this requires removal of the shift solenoid valve assembly. I don't know if you want to get involved with that.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:06 PM

Ok, here's what I've gathered from my 1998 NISSAN MAXIMA SERVICE MANUAL, Edition June 1997, Pub. No. SM6E-0A32U0.

P0733, A/T 3rd Gear, Page AT-106:

"This is an OBD-II self-diagnostic item and not available in TCM self-diagnosis."

This malfunction is detected when the A.T does not shift into third gear position as instructed by the TCM. This is not caused by electrical malfunction (circuits open or shorted) but by mechanical malfunction such as control valve sticking, improper solenoid valve operation, malfunctioning servo piston or brake band, etc. "This malfunction will be caused when shift solenoid valve A is stuck closed,"

According to p.AT-111 of my FSM A/t 4th Gear Function is DTC (code) P0734.

"This is an OBD-II self-diagnostic item and not available in TCM self-diagnostics"

"This malfunction is detected when the A/T does not shift into fourth gear position or the torque converter clutch does not lock up as instructed by the TCM. This is not caused by electrical malfunction (circuits open or shorted) but by mechanical malfunction such as control valve sticking, improper solenoid valve operation, malfunctioning oil pump or torque converter clutch, etc." "This malfunction will be caused when shift solenoid valve B is stuck closed."

The solenoids are all lined up four in a row. The order from left to right is:
-Shift solenoid valve B
-Shift solenoid valve A
-Overrun (probably overdrive) clutch solenoid valve
-Torque converter clutch solenoid valve.

There ya go...
Old 05-19-2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by 90EightSE
Ok, here's what I've gathered from my 1998 NISSAN MAXIMA SERVICE MANUAL, Edition June 1997, Pub. No. SM6E-0A32U0.

P0733, A/T 3rd Gear, Page AT-106:

"This is an OBD-II self-diagnostic item and not available in TCM self-diagnosis."

This malfunction is detected when the A.T does not shift into third gear position as instructed by the TCM. This is not caused by electrical malfunction (circuits open or shorted) but by mechanical malfunction such as control valve sticking, improper solenoid valve operation, malfunctioning servo piston or brake band, etc. "This malfunction will be caused when shift solenoid valve A is stuck closed,"

According to p.AT-111 of my FSM A/t 4th Gear Function is DTC (code) P0734.

"This is an OBD-II self-diagnostic item and not available in TCM self-diagnostics"

"This malfunction is detected when the A/T does not shift into fourth gear position or the torque converter clutch does not lock up as instructed by the TCM. This is not caused by electrical malfunction (circuits open or shorted) but by mechanical malfunction such as control valve sticking, improper solenoid valve operation, malfunctioning oil pump or torque converter clutch, etc." "This malfunction will be caused when shift solenoid valve B is stuck closed."

The solenoids are all lined up four in a row. The order from left to right is:
-Shift solenoid valve B
-Shift solenoid valve A
-Overrun (probably overdrive) clutch solenoid valve
-Torque converter clutch solenoid valve.

There ya go...

Dude you really went out of your way for this guy. LOL
GOOD MAN!!
Old 05-19-2006, 10:12 PM

1105 could also be your MAP/BORO sensor is failing.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I thank you for the research you did for this thread's author. I just saw this code for the first time on my 96 GLE Max. I have over 375k miles on it and it has been a dream for the most part. I love it.

In case someone reviews this post, I have a question about this code: Will it return? Does this mean the tranny is failing or was it just an isolated circumstance?

These were all the codes that I got with this one:
0201-Ignition circuit
0304-Knock sensor
0401-IAT sensor (I read this should not cause a driving/idling problem)
1105-The above mentioned issue.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a similar problem with a 96 maxima and the transmission wont shift out of first gear at all! The CEL was on and I took it to the parts store around the corner to find out the codes. It had initiallly had an 1105 code and after reading a bunch of threads on 4th gens I thought I needed to replace the vss. I read someones post that there was two vss's next to each other but I only saw one. I went and bought one, put it in and there was no difference. It still wont shift and I'm getting very frustrated. I am new to this site and it seems like there is alot of good information so if anyone has an idea where to go to next it would be great to hear.