4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

holy torn cv boot!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 03:18 PM

holy torn cv boot!

I bought a new car this year, but in some weird way I like my Maxima more than I used to? Does that make any sense? So I've really been driving my Maxima daily and leaving the new car in the garage. I even toasted someone driving my new car on the way home and got some sort of evil satisfaction from it! $3700 car beats one 13 times its cost, win for the underdog!

But as I was unloading groceries with my wheels turned fully to the left, I was holy ripped boot with grease all over the inside of the rim......I believe this is the culprit to a whining sound that I hear when changing gears, i.e. letting off the accelerator especially, and also just running through the gears 1-4. That's where the sound's coming from I guess???!! I know it's been for months...ouch. When I looked at Nissan's prices online, even with 30% off list I'm not happy about the expense. I don't think I have the time nor expertise to replace the axle, even though a guy in our mailroom said he did it and could not believe how easy......looks like I'll be taking one for the team tomorrow am!!! heehe
Old 06-09-2006, 04:00 PM
日産

I don't know how many 4th Gen. owners have replaced axles but I guess we need to deal with it sooner or later as our cars age. Good luck.

It sort of makes sense to me liking Maxima more than before. I replaced both axles, engine, O2s, knock sensors, seats, and others and still like my 96 GXE better than 00 I30....
Old 06-09-2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by hasei
I don't know how many 4th Gen. owners have replaced axles but I guess we need to deal with it sooner or later as our cars age. Good luck.

It sort of makes sense to me liking Maxima more than before. I replaced both axles, engine, O2s, knock sensors, seats, and others and still like my 96 GXE better than 00 I30....
It's one of those things, the grass is always greener......but once you get to taste the other side of the fence, the marginal concept kicks in. I had a real itch to "own" what I consider to be a high-performance car. People say you're a snob, an elitist, show-off, whatever. Only we ourselves know why we have that need, and how it feels once we've satisfied it. In my case, I like cars and feel satisfaction in having a nice car, and even knowing that I bought it with my own earnings after 8-9 years out in the working world. But with that being taken care of, all of a sudden I realize that the Maxima is not that bad and very practical. Something major on the Maxima breaks, you may have to pay some $$$, but it's never going to be anything totally unreasonable (ok sometimes we feel it's not reasonable, but try doing the same work on a German car). It's a mental thing for me...I think you know what I mean because you like your '96 over the '00....
Old 06-09-2006, 04:32 PM

I can understand likeing it more now that you have a new car. You're not afraid to really drive and push your Max now, knowing that if you screw it up, you got a brand new one waiting for you at home. So theres nothing holding you back from enjoying it. My roomate did the same thing. HE had a old Ford ranger with a ton of problems. He bought a new S-10 last year, drove it for a year, and a month ago, decided to put 1 grand into his $1500.00 Ranger to get it back up and running, and he's been driving it lately 75% of the time. Go figure. For the record, I need to replace both my CV axles, which I've been putting off for a year now.

Whats the new car BTW?
Old 06-10-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by triumphD6
I can understand likeing it more now that you have a new car. You're not afraid to really drive and push your Max now, knowing that if you screw it up, you got a brand new one waiting for you at home. So theres nothing holding you back from enjoying it. My roomate did the same thing. HE had a old Ford ranger with a ton of problems. He bought a new S-10 last year, drove it for a year, and a month ago, decided to put 1 grand into his $1500.00 Ranger to get it back up and running, and he's been driving it lately 75% of the time. Go figure. For the record, I need to replace both my CV axles, which I've been putting off for a year now.

Whats the new car BTW?
With all due respect, I don't like to talk about it or make foolish comparisons, bragging, etc. I got an E90 330i with sport package and active steering. It's what I always wanted and buyer's remorse set in quickly...human nature.

I'm paying to have the axles done and it's like $239 each side. Not great but not the end of the world...and they passed it for state inspection so the Maxima is good to go!