4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Concerns with brake purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Has his VINs memorized

Concerns with brake purchase

Well, it's time for me to get new brakes and instead of just resurfacing my current rotors or getting new stock ones I am thinking about upgrading to Brembo blanks or possibly if anyone can talk me into it Brembo or equivilent(powerslot) slotted rotors. I'm just not sure if I need that much braking power? I was looking at EBC pads specifically greens or yellows. I'm a little nervous that the greens will cook from hard braking with the weight of the max as I drive with great spirit and brake very hard occasionally. The yellows say they are for track use but also good for hard street driving, but I'm concerned that they would need to heat up like most trackworthy pads. I'm not worried about how much dust they create at this point just their performance. Anyone have experience with these two rotor types with these two pad types, please chime in! Thanks!

Also, I need good solid cold bite as it gets freaking cold up here in Maine winters. I'm talking -20 worst case. I'm pretty much set to get EBC pads, but if someone puts enough solid info for a different pad I'll be interested.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have brembo blanks and they are worth the money, much better than stock, it takes quite a bit of work to induce brake fade, and they haven't warped yet, my oem rotors were warped before they actaully wore out
Old 06-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know much about the EBC pads, but I have the Hawk HPS pads and the squeel dries me crazy. You may want to check into that before buying. I've heard a number of people say to use stock pads or a metal matrix upgrade from stock. I think the coating on the brembro or powerslot alone is worth the money, seeing rust rings on the stock rotors sucks.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Has his VINs memorized

Yeah, that's the main reason for needing new rotors. I toasted mine last summer braking hard. They warped a good bit. I figured slotted would prevent this better than blanks but not sure if they would be worth the additional cost for initial purchase nor the more frequent pad changes, I guess only 10% is liveable though.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:01 AM

dude I have had extensive research (so to speak) with the ebc greens these are my findings the pads themselves are quite indestructable they have low dust which is great if have black wheels or dont like cleaning your wheels yet there is a small level of dust still to contend with and if your runnining anykind of crossdrill slott the dust is increased yet still less than o.e...the pads have for me had an extermely long wear life these pads have been on my car with racing and heavy braking almost 4 years now! the thing about the ebc line Ive found is properly bedding the brakes and properly braking in the new combo if you get rotors as well theses ebc green pads even after properly bedding them and doing everything right that you can,have warped 2 pair of of brembo crossdrill/slott rotors i'm now moving on too axxis and powerslot for my next venture the ebc green do provide excellent bite and are good in the cold long n.e. winters but are notoriously too harsh on rotors the backs can also be lightly sanded and painted and need no shims with the current 95-99 setup as I have run mine with no brake sqweel after appling an anti sqweel agent to the back of the pads ..would i recommend these yes and no but it seems there is a general consensus even here on the org that these break pads are efficient but hard once again on your rotors cold weather for the greens seems not even to be an issue.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:18 AM
Has his VINs memorized

ok, I saw on one of their descriptions on the greens that it's rated up to approx. a 200HP car, they seemed to be gearing it towards smaller/lighter sport compact cars. I really don't want to warp brakes again, especially not some big name brand expensive ones!
Old 06-13-2006, 11:09 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

i had a set of those greens and they dusted an insane amount. i do not know why. They also make a grinding noise when i braked semi hard. they did last awhile, i would not purcahse them ever again. i went with hawks and for me they dust much less, and i do not get that treiable noise
Old 06-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i also am looking at a rotor upgrade and would like some feedback on the
decision, currently looking at the brembo vs xd , slotted vs crossdrilled .
Old 06-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Has his VINs memorized

I've read that cross drilled will crack if heated up too much and they reduce too much surface braking area to be effective. That's why I've rulled them out of my decision. The Hawk HPS pads sound ok, but dust doesn't bother me, so I'm still leaning towards maybe the EBC yellows. Anyone have any experience with them? Still not sure about rotors(slotted VS. blanks) as I've started gearing up for ECU upgrade suddenly.