4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How low to go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 07:24 AM

How low to go?

I like this maxima stance and the rims so i was wondering how much of a drop is it? And any suggestions on a brand? Im Leaning towards Ground controls

Also should i lower with springs or get adjustable c/overs

Old 06-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Boss Chen Industries

That is too much of a drop in my opinion. That car has no wheel gap with 19's and low profile tires. Add a body kit and it will be a shovel/snow plow. I don't think you'll find many advanced suspension users with big heavy chrome rims during their track days.

I'm not sure if this thread is relevent to this forum, but the mods will decide on that
Old 06-19-2006, 10:44 AM

thats too much of a drop? Im not going to race its for looks and comfort
Old 06-19-2006, 10:48 AM
brotherhood of tq

Originally Posted by Larrio Motors
That is too much of a drop in my opinion. That car has no wheel gap with 19's and low profile tires. Add a body kit and it will be a shovel/snow plow. I don't think you'll find many advanced suspension users with big heavy chrome rims during their track days.

I'm not sure if this thread is relevent to this forum, but the mods will decide on that
i fail to see how ur answer gave anything positive to this thread, he didnt ask about the possible .01% or people that ever take their maximas onto any type of track, nor did he ask u about ur ideas on if ur views on how low the drop even matters to him. and how do u kno how much those rims weigh?

i personally like the drop, i've never understood when people drop only like an " when u can remove most if not all of this wheel gap issue. i think hes on some sort of coilover. i have ground controls and ive my exhaust wasnt so low and i didnt commute in that crappy of a place i would drop like that....and i go to the track with my 18's on all the time.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Driving is the next best thing

Originally Posted by JEXTEL
thats too much of a drop? Im not going to race its for looks and comfort
I haven't done the exact measurements, but from what I know, handling will get worse if you drop your car more than 2 - 2.2 inches in the front. (if you ganna use conventional springs, don't drop it any lower than 1.5", your suspension will not have enough travel.)

Heavy rims result in slower acceleration/deceleration and harsher ride.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if your not going to race it, then go very low, put it very low, then drive around your normal route and pick some other really bad roads/driveways and see if you scrape, if you do decide to either live with it, or raise it....with your giagantic rims though, I can't imagine even the lowest pro tire being able to clear the fender unless you dial in a lot of neg camber or flare 'em, but then you will be stuck with the strut (spring collar) clearance being very low...

but if you are racing it, lower it until your lca's are parallel with the ground and no lower than that...until we get some sort of correction link/bolt, our cars can't go that low in the front without putting the lca's at an angle...and as for liqidvenom, neither I nor larrio need to weigh those rims to know 100% that they are freakin' heavy as hell!
Old 06-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Boss Chen Industries

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
i fail to see how ur answer gave anything positive to this thread
I don't understand why every opinion has to be a positive one. I didn't say that he couldn't do it nor did I insult the man by pointing out what he wants to do is wrong.

he didnt ask about the possible.01% or people that ever take their maximas onto any type of track, nor did he ask u about ur ideas on if ur views on how low the drop even matters to him
I was under the impression that this forum was for advanced handling, which the purpose was to weed out threads like "how low can I go" or "which drop is best". Sure, any drop is nice once the wheel gap is gone. As I said previously, its not for me to decide on this matter. The .01% of people that track their cars is what this forum was created for.

and how do u kno how much those rims weigh?
Since when have you seen lightweight 18+ inch chrome rims?

EDIT: but to make everyone who has been offended feel a little better:
-It is probably a 4 inch drop given the stock 4th gen wheel gap and the low profile tires
-As for brands, JICs or Teins if you want to go coilovers. Tein S-tech springs if you want an extreme drop
-Lowering with springs can only do so much. You'll also lose quite a bit of suspension travel and run the risk of riding your bump stops
Old 06-19-2006, 02:27 PM
Lightly modded

Isn't this the kind of thing that we were trying to keep out of this section?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:17 PM
retired moderator

Error 404: thread not relevant to "Advanced Performance - Suspension and Brakes," since your question only seems to be asking about "how the drop looks." Take it to the general or generation forums, FTW....
Old 06-19-2006, 03:53 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by JEXTEL
I like this maxima stance and the rims so i was wondering how much of a drop is it? And any suggestions on a brand? Im Leaning towards Ground controls

Also should i lower with springs or get adjustable c/overs

Jersey in da houz!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2006, 04:13 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by irish44j
Error 404: thread not relevant to "Advanced Performance - Suspension and Brakes," since your question only seems to be asking about "how the drop looks." Take it to the general or generation forums, FTW....

Take it back to the ricerforums. This forum is for advanced and performance and everyone has already told you the performance drawbacks to slamming your car. since your decision is based on looks, take it back to the 4th gen forum where people who care about how low you are can add their input.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:50 PM

matt, did you get my last pm and e-mail regarding purchasing those relocating brackets from you?
Old 06-19-2006, 04:53 PM
STFU n00b!

prolly, but I've been too burned out/lazy to respond to anything BlehmCo lately.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:29 PM

i fail to see how ur answer gave anything positive to this thread, he didnt ask about the possible .01% or people that ever take their maximas onto any type of track, nor did he ask u about ur ideas on if ur views on how low the drop even matters to him.
Positive commentary, in this case, covers quite a bit more ground than the amount of drop and a part number or two.

That the Suspension/Brakes forum is intended to be an advanced chassis/suspension/brakes forum means that cold hard facts and an understanding of the applicable enginering principles carry far more weight than emotional preferences regarding appearance. So if a topic there has technical questions either stated or implied, be prepared to expect a technically-oriented response or two. Such replies might not always be what you want to hear, but at least you'll get a reason instead of just a different opinion that you might not like any better.

There's nothing wrong with discussing drop in "Suspension/Brakes" as long as we all stick to the technical side of things. It is not necessary to compete for it to make sense to do this [drop] thoughtfully, or at least conservatively.

While it's on my mind, allow me to suggest that the use of IM-speak for individual short words is in itself mildly insulting and does not present you in the best possible light for technical understanding. Don't be afraid to spend a few more seconds to create a positive impression instead.

To JEXTEL I'll suggest that as that picture sits, the car is well past the point where comfort starts being sacrificed for appearance. That said, it's at least theoretically possible to drop it that low without losing much ride comfort, and even to gain performance while doing so. But that would require relocating every single suspension pivot in the car, plus the rack, and that's just for starters.

Somehow, this thread moved while I was responding to it in the other forum. Edits in red.

Norm
Old 06-19-2006, 05:53 PM

NY is not a good place for me to drop it low, too many pot holes...
good luck
Old 06-19-2006, 06:46 PM

I like the drop. Trust me learn from my mistakes. Do it right the first time. TEIN COILOVER BASIC DAMPER KIT.I have 19's on my car and it rides fine. I can run 100 mph on the interstate like it sits. There is no such thing as too low.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:22 PM

Thanks for everyones input...Now where can i find the Tein CoilOver Basic kit because "maxima1380" maxima looks bada$$ but i want 20's.

One more thing will the tein kit be more then the ground controls kit?
Old 06-19-2006, 07:33 PM

www.redlinemax.com
Old 06-19-2006, 10:32 PM
brotherhood of tq

Originally Posted by Larrio Motors
I don't understand why every opinion has to be a positive one. I didn't say that he couldn't do it nor did I insult the man by pointing out what he wants to do is wrong.

I was under the impression that this forum was for advanced handling, which the purpose was to weed out threads like "how low can I go" or "which drop is best". Sure, any drop is nice once the wheel gap is gone. As I said previously, its not for me to decide on this matter. The .01% of people that track their cars is what this forum was created for.

Since when have you seen lightweight 18+ inch chrome rims?

EDIT: but to make everyone who has been offended feel a little better:
-It is probably a 4 inch drop given the stock 4th gen wheel gap and the low profile tires
-As for brands, JICs or Teins if you want to go coilovers. Tein S-tech springs if you want an extreme drop
-Lowering with springs can only do so much. You'll also lose quite a bit of suspension travel and run the risk of riding your bump stops

im not sayin u need to be full of candy and kisses, but why give a response to a question that was not asked. all that does is make u come of as a smart azz. not saying that u are one but why come off as one if u dont have to.

and not to do wat i say you or other people shouldnt do, advanced handling in a maxima forum isnt a good but limited idea. minus the normal 3-4 upgrades every other so-called advanced handling part is all made by blemco. we should have a place where people can ask a question and it be answered once and we all move on. tossing it back in the 4th gen forum does nothing more then show that we dont care to cater to peoples questions. thats not how a board should be run if we wish for people to better have an understanding of their vehicles.

and i have seen lightweight chrome rims. chrome is nothing more then an exterior coating.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:34 PM
brotherhood of tq

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Positive commentary, in this case, covers quite a bit more ground than the amount of drop and a part number or two.

That the Suspension/Brakes forum is intended to be an advanced chassis/suspension/brakes forum means that cold hard facts and an understanding of the applicable enginering principles carry far more weight than emotional preferences regarding appearance. So if a topic there has technical questions either stated or implied, be prepared to expect a technically-oriented response or two. Such replies might not always be what you want to hear, but at least you'll get a reason instead of just a different opinion that you might not like any better.

There's nothing wrong with discussing drop in "Suspension/Brakes" as long as we all stick to the technical side of things. It is not necessary to compete for it to make sense to do this [drop] thoughtfully, or at least conservatively.

While it's on my mind, allow me to suggest that the use of IM-speak for individual short words is in itself mildly insulting and does not present you in the best possible light for technical understanding. Don't be afraid to spend a few more seconds to create a positive impression instead.

To JEXTEL I'll suggest that as that picture sits, the car is well past the point where comfort starts being sacrificed for appearance. That said, it's at least theoretically possible to drop it that low without losing much ride comfort, and even to gain performance while doing so. But that would require relocating every single suspension pivot in the car, plus the rack, and that's just for starters.

Somehow, this thread moved while I was responding to it in the other forum. Edits in red.

Norm
norm has the type of responses we need more of on this forum and the entire org for that matter
Old 06-20-2006, 12:03 AM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by maxima1380
I like the drop. Trust me learn from my mistakes. Do it right the first time. TEIN COILOVER BASIC DAMPER KIT.I have 19's on my car and it rides fine. I can run 100 mph on the interstate like it sits. There is no such thing as too low.
For looks perhaps, control arm angle and other factors will actually hurt handling. I also don't see what 100mph has to do with anything. You can run 140mph on blown stock struts with stock spring rates.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:00 AM
Boss Chen Industries

im not sayin u need to be full of candy and kisses, but why give a response to a question that was not asked. all that does is make u come of as a smart azz. not saying that u are one but why come off as one if u dont have to.

and not to do wat i say you or other people shouldnt do, advanced handling in a maxima forum isnt a good but limited idea. minus the normal 3-4 upgrades every other so-called advanced handling part is all made by blemco. we should have a place where people can ask a question and it be answered once and we all move on. tossing it back in the 4th gen forum does nothing more then show that we dont care to cater to peoples questions. thats not how a board should be run if we wish for people to better have an understanding of their vehicles.

and i have seen lightweight chrome rims. chrome is nothing more then an exterior coating.
What you may find unsuitable for this thread, others may find sufficient. To each his own. As the other members have already stated that these questions do not suite the forum originally posted in. Thank you sir.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:26 AM

Never heard of a maxima being to low
Old 06-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Black Maxima

Originally Posted by euromaxima
Never heard of a maxima being to low
NOPE

Old 06-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Maxima Owner

from a pereformance standpoint on a regualr strut/spring combo...its easy to go too low especially since most of the springs on the market for our cars that go lower than 2 inches are not stiff enought to compensate for the drop......