4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Urgent Help Needed - Crush Ring gaskets on used WSP Y, pics included

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 10:19 AM

Urgent Help Needed - Crush Ring gaskets on used WSP Y, pics included

Car needs to be functional in time for me to go to work today at 430...including time for a shower.
Basically - I bought 2 new crush ring gaskets from Napa in preparation for installing my (used) Warpspeed Y-pipe. On the stock Y, it's very clear where the crush rings go, as you can see in these pics. On the WSP Y, it's not clear. So basically my question is, are there crush ring gaskets already on the pipe? I assume double gaskets will cuase a leak, as well as having none, which is why I'm asking. Do WSP's need new crush rings? Please...help me out, I need it done.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:20 AM

Damn that stud looks bad...
Old 06-19-2006, 10:52 AM

u need new rings either way... theh problem is that the ones from napa arent the same size.... they fit but dont make a good enough seal... i found that out the hard way..
Old 06-19-2006, 11:55 AM

Well, I too found out the hardway - since no one replied before you, I just threw the pipe on hoping it would seal with the old rings, and it didn't. So tomorrow I have to rip the y down again, throw the napa ones on, and I guess I'm going to RTV the pipes as well.
But thanks for the reply man. Ridiculous that the F&F thread gets bumped all day long and this didn't get hardly any reads. I guess I should have labeled it F&F Ypipe thread.
I'm also getting a BITC noise, which I'm hoping is attributed to the leaky connection at the mani's.
QUESTION: Should I throw the napa rings OVER the existing crush ring gaskets, RTV that bish, and tighten down? The whole reason why this thread started is because the stock crush gaskets literally fell off the stock y, and the WSP's don't budge. I was thinking of taking a propane torch to it tomorrow, but if I can just throw the new crush gaskets on along with the existing crush rings, it would be great.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is a crush ring that was left in there from the old owner.....you need to pry out the old one, and install the new one crush rings.

-matt
Old 06-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Kevlo for President

Screw a small screw in the ring and pull it out.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm needing a caw

+1

Add: OEM crushies are cheaper from the dealer vs Napa

Originally Posted by matty
There is a crush ring that was left in there from the old owner.....you need to pry out the old one, and install the new one crush rings.

-matt
Old 06-19-2006, 12:26 PM
dko
duck and cover

i bought new ones from the dealer for all of like $5. they fit like a charm on my cattman, no problems even after 5 chicago winters

how are the AGX's doin?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Black Maxima

Yea, that Y-Pizzle has some rings in it already. Get those rings out. And use some new rings.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Jedi Knight

going to order some OEM crushies myself.....
Old 06-19-2006, 02:41 PM

I'm usually a DIY person however, when it came to exhaust stuff it's better left done by a muffler shop. Not to mention that on a +10 y/o car, it's hard to determine how troublesome it would be to remove the exhaust bolts on the old pipes. I just didn't want to run into any hassles so I paid someone to remove and install the new pipes and I'm glad I did.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:44 PM
dko
duck and cover

Originally Posted by DR-Max
I'm usually a DIY person however, when it came to exhaust stuff it's better left done by a muffler shop. Not to mention that on a +10 y/o car, it's hard to determine how troublesome it would be to remove the exhaust bolts on the old pipes. I just didn't want to run into any hassles so I paid someone to remove and install the new pipes and I'm glad I did.
it's soooooo easy, though. all you have to do is get the car up on wheel ramps, hose the bolts down with liquid wrench or PB Blaster then go have at it. doesn't take more than 30 mins
Old 06-19-2006, 03:18 PM

I know........

But what if the stud(s) that holds the bolt in snaps? Like I said, the car is over 10 years old and I can guarantee you that the studs wouldn't look so good. You can soak it for hours but it won't help it if the studs are greatly weakened by the rust. Luckily, mine came off easy. I didn't like the odds of getting into a big headache when trying to do it myself. Besides, I had him do a custom b-pipe for me anyway and since I was replacing the cat , I figured that why bother doing it myself. Everything could be done at his shop. Plus he tried to help me bend my traction bar but his bender isn't the right one for my application.

Originally Posted by dko
it's soooooo easy, though. all you have to do is get the car up on wheel ramps, hose the bolts down with liquid wrench or PB Blaster then go have at it. doesn't take more than 30 mins
Old 06-19-2006, 09:26 PM
dko
duck and cover

i'm just picking on you ever since that dynomax thread.....

j/k

if he was doing other stuff then ofcourse it makes sense. it takes like 2 minutes if the car is on a lift and you have airtools
Old 06-19-2006, 09:45 PM

THanks for the replies guys, I didn't think this would even be on the first page when I got out of work and hanging out with my friends.
Wow...so much to reply to.
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
+1

Add: OEM crushies are cheaper from the dealer vs Napa
I never thought I would get a better price on them from the dealer - and not only that, the closest dealership is a good 45 minutes away, and I'm sure that the shipping costs would at least even out the comparitive cost. Ah well...

Originally Posted by dko
how are the AGX's doin?
They're doing pretty well. I'm not sure if you caught any of the help threads from installing, but the suspension install as a whole gave me a hard time. Oh well, that's done with and I'm loving the ride. Thanks again. How's your new setup doing?

Originally Posted by DR-Max
I've previosly had the cat-y bolts cut (when doing my STS). And I have soaked these nuts (mani-y) in PB Blaster for a good couple of months (occassionally, and only because I didn't get ot finish the installation/got caught up doing something else, etc.)
Basically, I just went through a couple of days ago, and made sure all of them broke free cleanly. I got scared when the full stud came out, but soon realized it would be fine. Oh, and my comment before was about something I noticed when uploading the pics: I thought the nut had moved on the stud before the stud broke free - with the two studs in the picture, it seemed like the front one was smaller. When I went out, I realized it was fine. Oh well.

Air tools would be nice...Oh well, I guess I'll try these napa gaskets tomorrow when I don't have to be at work. Thanks again fellas, I appreciate it.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:49 PM
dko
duck and cover

my setup is riding well. i miss the look i had on sprints, though. and my strut mounts are noisy AGAIN. i swear to god if i replaced the suspension with stock everything tommorow and didn't drive the car for a month they'd start squeaking as soon as i pressed 'open doors' on my remote.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by dko
my setup is riding well. i miss the look i had on sprints, though. and my strut mounts are noisy AGAIN. i swear to god if i replaced the suspension with stock everything tommorow and didn't drive the car for a month they'd start squeaking as soon as i pressed 'open doors' on my remote.
Haha, that sounds like a whole lot of fun. GOod luck with it...hopefully you can take care of the noise. What springs are you on again?