4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rear sway bar necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 08:33 AM

rear sway bar necessary?

Is a rear sway bar necessary. I'm going to get a front sway bar, but didn't know if rear sway bar is necessary.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Maxima Owner

u already have a front sway bar...rears arnt necessary...but helpful if u can drive
Old 06-20-2006, 08:49 AM

Wait, front sway bars come stock? I haven't bought the front sway bar yet. I usually drive pretty fast and take quick turns and stuff, so in that terms is a rear sway bar necessary? Basically what does a rear sway bar do that a front sway bar doesn't..
Also, does it matter which brand of sway bars I get? I find cheap ones for like 20 bux on ebay. Are those good?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:52 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Did you mean a front 'strut' bar and rear 'strut' bar? By chance?
Old 06-20-2006, 08:53 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
u already have a front sway bar...rears arnt necessary...but helpful if u can drive

Old 06-20-2006, 09:28 AM

yeah i meant strut bars. Does it matter what brand i get? They all look the same.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:37 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by kasemodz
yeah i meant strut bars. Does it matter what brand i get? They all look the same.
My opinion? Get the cheap ones. They're all basically the same except for bells and whistles. Just make sure they attach firmly to the strut housings and there is enough clearance. I hear the RSB aren't that noticeable. Just what I've heard.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

... the maxima has front sway bars. no need to replace them.

however.. you can add a STRUT bar. this goes in the trunk above the engine from one side to the other (where the wheels connect to the springs or whatever you want to think of it).

this will help, but the cheap ones will work just fine. adeco? is that the brand thats good and cheap? i forget the name but there is a link in the stickys about dyno.dns.maxmods or something simular to that, i forget the link, just look in the stickys for it. it will help loads!

also the rear STRUT is NOT needed and probably better if you DONT have it, its sometimes dangerous because you dont know if the back will slip out or not, its all dependent on the dryving style, wheels tires etc. so its really up to you.

the REAR doesnt have an ANTI-sway bar - but i tell ya what, the maxima without a rear anti-sway bar has alot of body roll, and when you add an ANIT-Sway bar, it does really well to eliminate it, and i recomend this part!!!!!!!! again in the stickys at the maxmods link there will be choices.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by mindlessoath

however.. you can add a STRUT bar. this goes in the trunk above the engine from one side to the other (where the wheels connect to the springs or whatever you want to think of it).

this will help, but the cheap ones will work just fine. adeco? is that the brand thats good and cheap? i forget the name but there is a link in the stickys about dyno.dns.maxmods or something simular to that, i forget the link, just look in the stickys for it. it will help loads!

also the rear STRUT is NOT needed and probably better if you DONT have it, its sometimes dangerous because you dont know if the back will slip out or not, its all dependent on the dryving style, wheels tires etc. so its really up to you.

the REAR doesnt have an ANTI-sway bar - but i tell ya what, the maxima without a rear anti-sway bar has alot of body roll, and when you add an ANIT-Sway bar, it does really well to eliminate it, and i recomend this part!!!!!!!! again in the stickys at the maxmods link there will be choices.

you want a front strut bar and a rear sway bar you can also add a rear strut bar on the rear shocks but you have to slice a hole in the grey covering in the trunk or remove them totally. sway bars are good but you have to be a careful driver cause they are more prone to oversteering . i have both on my car but my tires suck (all seasons) so i don't do the curves that fast cause the tires scream like my ex-girl but thats another story
Old 06-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Maxima Owner

TRACK DAYS FTW with RSB...but i like to think of my self as a skilled driver....and sways are differetn than strut braces so make sure u know what ur getting
Old 06-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Conecarver

Congrats mindlessoath
You win the 2006 .org contest for the most wrong information in a single thread.
Old 06-20-2006, 03:19 PM

^ true..
Old 06-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Maxima Owner

I LOVE THE MYTH OF MAGICAL FISH TAILS BECAUSE OF A REAR-SWAY BAR.....i guess my high speed 70mph turns at an actual roadcourse kill that theory
Old 06-21-2006, 01:42 PM

Cattman sells a lightweight Titanium fstb. Stronger and probably lighter than any ebay $10 one

Jae
Old 06-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Maximoneypit

this goes in the trunk above the engine
hmmmmm......
Old 06-21-2006, 01:54 PM
dot dot dot ...

this goes in the trunk above the engine
Rear engine front drive FTL.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

HAHAHAHAHA!!

Bro..
get a FSTB, forget the RSTB, and save yer $ for a rear anti-sway bar!
FSTB = little help, RSTB benefits are unmeasurable, and anti-sway bar in the rear FTMFW. I have all 3. I'd sooner flip the car over than get any inch of body roll (dropped 2 inches too), but thats just me..
DJ
Old 06-21-2006, 11:00 PM

Well I'm basically tired of my car rolling on curves and want more precise steering. So I'll get the front strut bar and rear anti-sway bars. That should eliminate most of the body roll right? My plan is to drop my car about 1-1.5 inch after I get new 17 or 16 inch tires, haven't made my decision on rims.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Licensed to Spell

ANTI-Sway bar.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Offset Is Everything.

strut tower bars aid in chassis stiffness; anti-swaybars aid in body roll. its not that hard to understand. and please use the right terminology.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:53 PM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by Mr****s95SE
strut tower bars aid in chassis stiffness; anti-swaybars aid in body roll. its not that hard to understand. and please use the right terminology.
Thank you.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:29 PM
Shift_3.0

Originally Posted by kasemodz
Well I'm basically tired of my car rolling on curves and want more precise steering. So I'll get the front strut bar and rear anti-sway bars. That should eliminate most of the body roll right? My plan is to drop my car about 1-1.5 inch after I get new 17 or 16 inch tires, haven't made my decision on rims.
You will still have body roll and enough of it even with the Front Strut Brace and the Rear Sway Bar. However, that is not to say the RSB wont make a SIGNIFICANT difference. In my opinion our maximas should have come stock with them. If you want to eliminate body roll you would have to drop it, but it appears you plan on doing that anyways.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:29 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by devilz05
If you want to eliminate body roll you would have to drop it...
I would like to politely disagree. This statement is reaching just a tad.
This link was posted by another member, but I don't remember who. It's extremely informative. Research is always a great supplement to advice.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
I would like to politely disagree. This statement is reaching just a tad.
Lol... I'm lowerd 2" and no rsb. One time when I auto-x, I lifted a wheel mid-turn, and the strut expanded enuf so that the spring rotated and sat differently when I leveled out. So yeah, agreed, lowering isn't the only answer to body roll. (Well, maybe to people who don't drive 9/10, they wouldn't notice). And in my situation, my tires were probably sticky enuf, an RSB woulda allowed me to take the turn faster, but I probably still woulda lifted a wheel.

Jae
Old 06-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Offset Is Everything.

if you want to completely eliminate body roll, just weld a metal stud in place of your suspension. bam its gone! the ride wouild be stiff as hell and your car would probably fall apart from all the violent jarring lol.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:48 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
Lol... I'm lowerd 2" and no rsb. One time when I auto-x, I lifted a wheel mid-turn, and the strut expanded enuf so that the spring rotated and sat differently when I leveled out. Jae
If you're lifting an inside rear with no additional RSB, that might be fixed by stiffer front springs or less weight up front.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:21 AM
ChristheNite

Rear Anti Sway makes a HUGEEEEEEEE differenence.

I have a Rear Anti-sway bar amongst other things for sale in the FS forums - check it out!

Old 06-23-2006, 08:48 PM

I LOVE THE MYTH OF MAGICAL FISH TAILS BECAUSE OF A REAR-SWAY BAR.....i guess my high speed 70mph turns at an actual roadcourse kill that theory
Hahah me too, people seem to forget that the car is still FWD and nose-heavy... maybe it seems like oversteer from the under steer they're used to .. my guess is that oversteer can be remedied with a dab of throttle like understeer in a RWD
Old 06-24-2006, 12:27 AM

Agreed, it doesn't oversteer really, but it does snap oversteer when you go over bumps or temporarily slip over lane lines or cross walk paint (or parking lot stall markings if you're auto-x).
Jae
Old 06-24-2006, 12:44 AM

Eh, ive lost the end before in the slight wet. I do not blame it on the sway bar becuase, well i was turning to fast in the rain and i throttle lifted, it wasnt anything serious and it was brought back into control easily....but the back end wouldn't have slid without it. In the dry the thing is awsome and i have no fear of it sliding out. I used to powerslide all the time in the dry and it the rear sway bar did nothing but help me and the end didn't kick out more than 90 degree's....All in all, it is a great performance mod and is great for someone who knows how to drive, but if you are stupid enough it can be the reason why your back end slides out....
Old 06-24-2006, 08:28 AM

^ This probably means that your RSB is stiffer in than the FSB with respect to weight distribution.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by 96i30azn
^ This probably means that your RSB is stiffer in than the FSB with respect to weight distribution.

well i dunno the specs on the stock front sway bar, so wouldn't be able to answer that question....But taking weight into consideration it does make sense.....
Old 06-30-2006, 02:00 AM

the first day i put my stillen rsb on, i took a left hand turn pretty fast and the rear did try to come around but i had the settings wrong. i went home and made an adjustment and what a difference! the other guys are right, if you can drive, you will love the rsb. the rstb is basically to keep the geometry of the vehicle square, like sub-frame connectors. they do seem to tighten up the car. go with all three, you'll be happy!
Old 06-30-2006, 04:19 AM
Maxima Owner

major bumps i can see if ur running on the stiffer end of springs.....but man i hit bumps...auto-x and roadcourses...the back does feel way better...but no where near kicking out an losing control.....but i am also going to re-align my rear beam so my bushings arnt all binding
Old 06-30-2006, 05:25 AM
Ichiban King

I hate this thread.. lame as hell
Old 07-17-2006, 11:14 AM

I have the front and rear strut braces and the rear sway bar (all stillen I know I overpaid but they really look good). I would not take them off for the world. they make the car so much stiffer. they do make the car Feel like it wants to oversteer under real hard conering but minimal oversteer is a nice change from understeer.