4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Driver window sticks to inner weather stripping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 02:53 PM

Driver window sticks to inner weather stripping?

My driver side window is driving me crazy!?! when its humid out i go to roll down my window and the door panel weather stripping looking line that holds the glass gets stuck against the window and rolls inside with the glass, making the window get stuck with it!
I have no idea what to do, this is driving me crazy when i cant open the window to pay a toll!!

any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2006, 04:55 PM
NAS

spray the weather stripping where the window is sticking with 4way or some other light spray lube, I use to do auto glass and that would probably be the first thing we would have tried, or maybe use some mothers back to black trim care to see if it would prevent the sticking issue.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by NAS
spray the weather stripping where the window is sticking with 4way or some other light spray lube, I use to do auto glass and that would probably be the first thing we would have tried, or maybe use some mothers back to black trim care to see if it would prevent the sticking issue.
I tried WD40 and it helps, but smears all over my window and is a PITA to get off...
Old 06-22-2006, 03:43 PM
100% chingon

Well, replace with new! D'oh
Old 06-24-2006, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by clive
Well, replace with new! D'oh

Doh!

Replace what?? The whole door panel???

if you dont have any usefull advise, dont post.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by borka
Doh!

Replace what?? The whole door panel???

if you dont have any usefull advise, dont post.
its not rocket science, replace whats causing the problem... the rubber piece. you can even try to take it off and see if you can trim it down or something. i would remove the entire door panel after extensively checking it out from outside and try and track down exactly what is causing the issue. it could be numerous things from pieces shifting over times to something being loose to something warping into a different shape. take off both door panels and compare if it helps you figure out what is going on. no one can give you an exact answer without more details or pictures of some sort.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:23 PM

Thanks, ill try to take off the door panel and see if i can just take off that top piece. I thought that the weather strip is part of the door panel...
The reason i posted is because i thought that this would be a common problem with a simple solution from some one who went through this.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:29 PM

no its not common from what ive seen, but i have seen what you are talking about in other cars, i usually just rip it out though but i know many people on here are far less ghetto than me. that piece should not be attached to the door panel, if you pull the door panel off (i never have on the maxima but have done so on plenty of other cars) you should see that it rests inside some kind of groove/notch type thing at the top of the inside door panel. it may have just lost its grip over time and need to be reset, or maybe its melted and warped in shape, the only way to find out for sure is to check
Old 06-25-2006, 10:20 AM

I had that problem after I got my windows tinted. The guy who installed the tint told me to roll the windows all the way down after three days. I ignored him and did it halfway, and it got stuck. Just hold the button to roll it up, then use your finger to pry up (not off) the weather stripping untill the windows goes up. The pushed the stripping flush to the windows. Next, take your hands off and roll down the window all the way. Once its down, make sure that the stripping looks like your other doors. It was an easy fix for me, but yours might just be messed up or something. I had to open my door to talk to the school police officer at the entrance because I couldn't roll down my window, haha. But I fixed it, no problem!
Old 06-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by borka
i cant open the window to pay a toll!!

any thoughts?
Get EZPass