4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Window Swipe Sticks

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 05:15 AM

Window Swipe Sticks

Hi All
It's a 99, driver's window, when you power it down it sucks in the inside rubber swipe. Any experience (solutions)?
Thanks-
John
Old 09-04-2015, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by maximusrising
Hi All
It's a 99, driver's window, when you power it down it sucks in the inside rubber swipe. Any experience (solutions)?
Thanks-
John
Same here...probably the age of the swipe or seal...I have to grab my door panel and hold it out or the window won't roll down...but it doesn't do it all the time...usually only on humid days
Old 09-04-2015, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by maximusrising
Hi All
Thanks-
John
Yes, recently happened at the bank drive through on my '96--also driver's door:

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...-up-fixed.html

Originally Posted by Junebug1701
Just recently got this '96 Maxima with 90K miles. Today I lowered the driver's window at the bank drive through, and it would only go back up half way and jam. My first thought was bad regulator, and despite having no experience with power window repair, I decided to jump into it.

Removed the door panel, and the first thing I noticed was a rubber strip blocking the forward window channel. Peeled back the plastic sheet and removed the speaker to gain access to the channel. From the looks of it, the front edge of the glass must have stuck to the u-shaped rubber strip that sits in the metal channel. The glass pulled the strip up to where it buckled and jammed the glass. After struggling to pull the rubber strip down to no avail, I removed the 2 screws holding the bottom of the glass to the regulator. This allowed me to tilt the glass back and away from the front channel.

At this point I pulled the rubber channel out with only the very top part still attached. I lubricated the back of the rubber with a soapy water solution, then proceeded to push it back into the metal channel until it was fully seated. Looking down from the window slot with a flashlight, I could see that the rubber strip was even all the way down. Then I sprayed a little silicone lubricant into the top of the strip and it dripped all the way down. At this point, I tilted the glass back into position and set it into the channel, replaced the 2 regulator screws, and tested the window by plugging in the switch panel. The window went up and down smooth as silk.

Replaced the speaker, door panel, and made sure all the connectors were plugged back in. Almost forgot the 2 screws at the bottom of the door panel. I wish I had taken pictures, but I was in a rush because the rain was coming and I was using a borrowed carport to do the work. After looking at the clock I was surprised to see the whole job only took 1 hour! Guess I got lucky this time. I did try several searches and didn't find this exact problem, so I'm posting it here for future reference.

James

Last edited by Junebug1701; 09-04-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:31 PM

Window Swipe Sticks

Spray window silicone in the rubber seal grooves. Call it a daeee!!!