4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Has anyone changed their valve cover gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 09:17 AM

Has anyone changed their valve cover gaskets?

My 4 cylinder spark plug is coated with oil. I called a mechanic and he said my valve cover gaskets need to be changed. He wants close on $200 to do it, and I know I can get it done cheaper if I do it myself. Has anyone done it?
Old 06-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by sharkulator
My 4 cylinder spark plug is coated with oil. I called a mechanic and he said my valve cover gaskets need to be changed. He wants close on $200 to do it, and I know I can get it done cheaper if I do it myself. Has anyone done it?
he is wrong. Its your spark plug seals. There is a rubber gasket that is inside of each spark plug hole that seals the spark plug off from the engine oil (this is a common problem in our cars). It is the same amount of work as changing the valve cover gaskets though. Since you said its cylinder 4, that is under the plenum. You will need to follow your service manual on how to take you plenum off. After you do that you can see the rear valve cover. Take that off and you will see the spark plug seals. You need to knock those out and put new ones in (remember everything is aluminum, to its easy to scar the surfaces so be careful when knocking the old one out. I recomend using a rubber mallet to tap the new ones in so you do not damage the valve cover. You need to knock them in so they are flush with the valve cover. Usually you can buy a kit that has all of the spark plug seals, two valve cover gaskets and all of the little rubber things that you put under the bolts that hold the valve covers down (~$50). Let me know if you have any questions. I have done this several times now.

Or if you don't feel confortable replacing the seals your self. I have valve covers for sale that have freshly replaced spark plug seals. I am selling them for $30 (plus shipping) each.

**I forgot to add if you are going to take the time to replace your plug seals you should go ahead and do the valve cover gaskets as well. Also pull codes from the ecu before you do this if your knock sensor is shot it would be a good time to change it. Once you have the plenum off its only a few bolts away under the Lower Intake Manifold (LIM).