4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

just got off the phone with stillen.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 01:45 PM

i just contacted stillen because i am in the process of either getting and smx grill and front spoiler or a 99 nose conversion. so i speak to ruban who right away i can tell is there just to collect his hourly and really is not to into providing good customer service this guy was yahning and i when he ask me what i was looking for he said "ya i got a grill for that thing"...thing this guy just called my max a thing i am thinking, whatever this guys a puts i just want the best price he told list is 220.00 but he can give it to me for 190.00 really WOW thanks sport but avalonracing sells 119.00 + shipping so he said let me check ahh yes avaolon racing up in NH. he replies ya just get it from them.... now i am starting to understand why i see so many boycott stillen in some our your sigs...louis
Old 06-21-2001, 02:34 PM
Banned

They did the same thing with me with the Blitz BOV, except they gave it to me for 2 bills when I said that I could get it somewhere else. The thing that I didnt understand, is Avalon wanted $3750 for the SC, and I got it from Stillen for $3350 ... wtf?
Old 06-21-2001, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by loup1276
i just contacted stillen because i am in the process of either getting and smx grill and front spoiler or a 99 nose conversion. so i speak to ruban who right away i can tell is there just to collect his hourly and really is not to into providing good customer service this guy was yahning and i when he ask me what i was looking for he said "ya i got a grill for that thing"...thing this guy just called my max a thing i am thinking, whatever this guys a puts i just want the best price he told list is 220.00 but he can give it to me for 190.00 really WOW thanks sport but avalonracing sells 119.00 + shipping so he said let me check ahh yes avaolon racing up in NH. he replies ya just get it from them.... now i am starting to understand why i see so many boycott stillen in some our your sigs...louis

thats messed up man. funk that. im never getting anythign from them. i prob would never have anyway since they are so expensive but now i have another reason. haha. later.
Old 06-22-2001, 06:31 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

When you order with a place, saying 'I can get this from here for that much' is pretty annoying. Instead, ask if they 'price match.' Say you know that So & So sells it for this much. Will they match it? I find it annoying when people approach bargaining the first way.
Old 06-22-2001, 08:33 AM
Banned

Originally posted by NickStam
When you order with a place, saying 'I can get this from here for that much' is pretty annoying. Instead, ask if they 'price match.' Say you know that So & So sells it for this much. Will they match it? I find it annoying when people approach bargaining the first way.
I really wasnt trying to bargain with him, I was letting him know the reason that I wouldn't buy the BOV from them. He bargained with me.
Old 06-22-2001, 08:50 AM

Very well put. Usually if they can't match it, they'll say something like, "I can't match it but I can do _______(a lower price than originally quoted).
Old 06-22-2001, 09:00 AM

yes i will agree with you it is annoying i worked in sales for years and i would completly blow off the guy who would say oh i can get that cheaper at lechmere or tweeter.. you get that point what i am saying is i never aproached this *** like that right away i could tell that this guy could care less about helping me out, he was totally unprofessional from the beging if you read the post... price did not come out till the end of the converstion... but no big deal i'll get it from avalon if i decide too : > louis
Old 06-22-2001, 09:09 AM

yes i will agree with you it is annoying i worked in sales for years and i would completly blow off the guy who would say oh i can get that cheaper at lechmere or tweeter.. you get that point what i am saying is i never aproached this *** like that right away i could tell that this guy could care less about helping me out, he was totally unprofessional from the beging if you read the post... price did not come out till the end of the converstion... but no big deal i'll get it from avalon if i decide too : > louis
Yep. That's why I called Stillen once and never called them again. I have nothing Stillen in my car and never will. There are always better alternatives.
Old 06-22-2001, 09:22 AM

When you are negotiating with a salesperson you never show their price up like you did by spouting the 119 in his face.
From experience as a salesperson when a customer does this I do not want to do business or go out of my way. I will not be rude to them but I will walk them or kindly lead them away. The way to bargain is to ask if they could price match or beat a competitors price. Then the salesperson would be more willing to help you.
Old 06-22-2001, 09:40 AM
MAXDriver

That's messed up man.

Last time I was quoted over $200 for their intake and $500 for sway bar front strut bar combo.

Anyone cares to explain why you can get Stillen products cheaper through Avalon vs going direct ?

Old 06-22-2001, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by MAXDriver

Anyone cares to explain why you can get Stillen products cheaper through Avalon vs going direct ?
That's what I have been trying to figure out. Normally going factory direct is cheaper, are they not factory direct?

K
Old 06-22-2001, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by DARTHSWAN

That's what I have been trying to figure out. Normally going factory direct is cheaper, are they not factory direct?

K
Not true. Getting parts factory direct isn't always cheaper. Try getting a Random Cat through Random or a Greddy cat back from Greddy; it's always more expensive. Their explanation is that they don't want to compete against resellers selling their product. If it was cheaper from the factory, then they won't need to distribute to resellers.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by JMAX95

Not true. Getting parts factory direct isn't always cheaper. Try getting a Random Cat through Random or a Greddy cat back from Greddy; it's always more expensive. Their explanation is that they don't want to compete against resellers selling their product. If it was cheaper from the factory, then they won't need to distribute to resellers.
I'm sorry, it's normally true for most things. I see not for car accessories. That's quite interesting. Oh well

K
Old 06-22-2001, 11:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MAXDriver
That's messed up man.

Last time I was quoted over $200 for their intake and $500 for sway bar front strut bar combo.

I got my addco rsb and ftsb both for $90 + shipping
Old 06-22-2001, 11:30 AM
i SeE what you did therE

that is why i buy all my $tealin products used...
Old 06-22-2001, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by JMAX95

Another reason is when it comes time for any warranties. A lot of manufacturers will make you go through the place where you bought it through. If the place goes out of business, your out of luck.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001

I got my addco rsb and ftsb both for $90 + shipping
sweetsound,

where did you by your rsb? if you don't mind me asking.
Old 06-22-2001, 01:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by roruiz

sweetsound,

where did you by your rsb? if you don't mind me asking.
I bought it used, so this deal is not attainable for you. However, if you are willing to wait, you can order one from shox.com for $110 + shipping. Expect to wait at least 1 month, maybe more. When you email them for a quote, just say your friend got one for $110 and tell them you are from maxima.org.

Anton
Old 06-22-2001, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by nismomaxse97

When you are negotiating with a salesperson you never show their price up like you did by spouting the 119 in his face.
From experience as a salesperson when a customer does this I do not want to do business or go out of my way. I will not be rude to them but I will walk them or kindly lead them away. The way to bargain is to ask if they could price match or beat a competitors price. Then the salesperson would be more willing to help you.
That's so true. I don't like playing the price games that some people try on me. I've told them my price and usually it's firm. I don't go into pricing wars and match XYZ's price even if it's $4 less.

If a customer wants to buy an item from me, that's great. I give them top-notch service and advice. I usually hook up my repeat buyers; since they're coming back and buying from me again, it shows that they value the service I provide so in return I scratch their back (or at least try to knock off a few bucks). Call me up and talk to me for 10 minutes and I guarantee that you'll learn a thing or two. If you've got questions, I've got answers .

If a person wants to save $3.87 from other shops I'm not stopping them. It's a free market for the customer to choose where they purchase their items from.
Old 06-22-2001, 04:35 PM
Disco Biscuit

I don't understand why so many peple have problems with Stillen. It must be the sales guy you get. I deal with Sean and have always recieved gret deals on my parts, and have never had a problem recieving it. In fact almost every part I have on my car was bought from them. Go figure. Luck of the draw I guess...........
Old 06-23-2001, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by got rice?

That's so true. I don't like playing the price games that some people try on me. I've told them my price and usually it's firm. I don't go into pricing wars and match XYZ's price even if it's $4 less.

If a customer wants to buy an item from me, that's great. I give them top-notch service and advice. I usually hook up my repeat buyers; since they're coming back and buying from me again, it shows that they value the service I provide so in return I scratch their back (or at least try to knock off a few bucks). Call me up and talk to me for 10 minutes and I guarantee that you'll learn a thing or two. If you've got questions, I've got answers .

If a person wants to save $3.87 from other shops I'm not stopping them. It's a free market for the customer to choose where they purchase their items from.
most of the members of this board strike me as very price concious hence all the group deals.. in reatail you should always take the business. when i was in sales i sometimes would sell a product below cost because of competitiors ad. i will definitly agree with you in some cases its worth it to pay the extra money for a sevice and good advice but Ruban did not offer any such thing , however a comapny that is as big as stillen should be all about matching prices. what happens next time i want to get something for my car... i am intrested in buying a y pipe and was considering stillen or cattman but after this experience i would not buy the stillen.. a large company like stillen should take the good with the bad because its al a wash in the end...just my 2 cents : )
Old 06-23-2001, 12:12 PM

Stillen Who??