4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Timing chain noise (New Question)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 08:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I asked everyone awhile ago about noise coming from a cold engine in a 95 Maxima. I was told it was the chain tensioners, Technical service bulletin NTB96086. I talked to two dealers, One said the bulletin was for a 94 Max and that replacing the chain might require me to covert to a belt system as part for the chain system are no longer available. The second dealer said he never heard of the problem and it would cost me over $1000.00 to replace the chain and misc. parts. Can anyone tell me what parts I need and approx. price I should expect for install? I'm capable of doing this myself but according to the shop manual it looks like alot of work. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2001, 06:33 PM
femax

I missed your last post

I had a similar (wrong) diagnosis of my 96 Maxima. Started as a knocking when the car was idling, but only after it had been running for about 2 minutes. I took the car to a Nissan Dealer and was told my timing chains were losing tension. I was told the tensioners, gears and the chains all needed to be replaced for a grand total of $2700. My brother-in-law (who is ford tech) told me of a similar problem they had with the Rangers. Said they solved the problem by draining a quart of oil and adding a quart of transmission fluid and driving the car for about an hour (then drain all oil and replace). I did this, and after driving about 45 miles, all noise ended. Almost 5,000 miles later my car is still purring like a kitten! (It may not be your problem, but it is a lot easier and alot cheaper!)

Old 06-22-2001, 06:44 PM
Disco Biscuit

Easiest fix is to run 20 weight oil, or Quaker State's High milege engine oil. My Nissan mechanic suggested I do that, and it corrected the problem.
Old 06-23-2001, 07:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Where can I find more information on this "Technical service bulletin NTB96086"?
Old 06-23-2001, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Brockster
Where can I find more information on this "Technical service bulletin NTB96086"?
You may inquire at your local friendly Nissan dealer or subscribe to a for-fee service such as AllData.
Old 06-23-2001, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by par1969
... One said the bulletin was for a 94 Max and that replacing the chain might require me to covert to a belt system as part for the chain system are no longer available. ...
This is preposterous.

... The second dealer said he never heard of the problem ...
Any dealer has complete access to the Technical Service Bulletins. A dealer who says he "never heard of the problem" is either dishonest or incompetent.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration maintains online databases of recalls and Technical Service Bulletins. Go to
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

You will find this:

Service Bulletin Number: NTB96086
Bulletin Sequence Number: 61
Date of Bulletin: 9609
NHTSA Item Number: SB049475
Make: NISSAN
Model: MAXIMA
Year: 1995
Component: ENGINE:TIMING GEAR AND CHAIN
Summary: ENGINE TIMING CHAIN NOISE. *TT

Unfortunately, the TSBs are only in summary form. To get the full text you have to use a for-fee service such as AllData. For more information visit your local friendly honest and competent Nissan dealer or call 1-800-NISSAN1.

... Can anyone tell me what parts I need and approx. price I should expect for install? I'm capable of doing this myself but according to the shop manual it looks like alot of work. ...
Replacing the three chains, seven sprockets, three guides, and three tensioners is a big job and a big parts cost. I'll tell you what I would do if it were my car. I'm relying on personal observation and technical intuition here, because I can't find this in any repair manual.

Look at the timing chain cover of your engine. It is aluminum and a dull silvery color. Look at the area just rearward of the engine mount and you will see a stamped steel metal plate fastened to the timing chain cover with four bolts. This is the timing chain tensioner cover. Remove that cover to gain access to the tensioner. Remove the tensioner. Probe the oil supply hole which is now exposed to verify that it is clear. Decide whether the tensioner should be replaced, or only cleaned. Install the new or cleaned tensioner. Install the cover.