4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

my cars whining like its supercharged wtf..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Ichiban King

my cars whining like its supercharged wtf..

okay so I get back from riding in my friends new S14 that he bought and I go to start the max and the thing is whining like crazy, exactly like a supercharger and I'm def. not F/I, anyways so I know its not power steering but it has to be something else.

It is a '98 though, do you think its that faulty alternator?..

Keep in mind the whine gets louder as you step on the gas to a certain extent then the engine gets louder than the whine so it seems to disappear. Also I drove around and shut off the car and restarted to try to see if it was just something weird out of the blue for no reason, but it's not. Still there..

please advice..
Old 07-19-2006, 06:21 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Had the same problem, ended up being the altenator! So, get yours checked out.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Geo T
Had the same problem, ended up being the altenator! So, get yours checked out.
thank F*%^$%& god! I wanted it to be that, I'm like it's that damn faulty '98 alternator going at around 100,000.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:36 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Mine was making that whining sound for a while, then went away. Over the weekend with it being so hot & the a/c on it decided to go south! I replaced it with a Bosch alt., & all works good!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Geo T
Mine was making that whining sound for a while, then went away. Over the weekend with it being so hot & the a/c on it decided to go south! I replaced it with a Bosch alt., & all works good!
you know Nissan would've replaced that for free on your '98.. It's an officially recalled item.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:51 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

I checked with Nissan, ran the vin. #, it was a recall on certain 98's.
Not mine!
Old 07-19-2006, 07:41 PM

The supercharger / turbo spool sound I had came from the massive hole in the flexisection of my factory Y

Old 07-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Ichiban King

right on sucks Geo T that it didn't fall in that year.. as for killerVQ haha its not a spooling sound its a pulley whine sound.

Oh and how do you know if your VIN falls in the timeframe that the alternators were faulty?
Old 07-19-2006, 07:51 PM
The Golden One

I have the same sound from my amp. I already posted about this but people only suggested grounds. Could my alternator also be the culprit (it's been replaced already under recall - lit my engine bay on fire a couple years ago)? I want to get rid of it (the noise). I heard something about some sort of filter? Anyone know of anything I can try? Thanks. And sorry for stealing the thread so to speak.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Ichiban King

hey I looked and it was manufactured 12/97 so I get a new alternator, yeah!!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Wild for Width

Yeah, I had mine changed for giggles.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
Yeah, I had mine changed for giggles.
Right on, but.. I'm not the original owner.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:28 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

i should check mine and get it done before the problems start (if it hasnt alrdy been done)
Old 07-19-2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by IlyaK
I have the same sound from my amp. I already posted about this but people only suggested grounds. Could my alternator also be the culprit (it's been replaced already under recall - lit my engine bay on fire a couple years ago)? I want to get rid of it (the noise). I heard something about some sort of filter? Anyone know of anything I can try? Thanks. And sorry for stealing the thread so to speak.
Same boat here. Guess these cars seem to have very consistent issues, kinda irritating for 1998 technology. They didn't have stuff like GPS and satellite radio at the time, but there was every chance to build a reliable car especially given the 29k+ list prices. Nissan uses marginal parts if you ask me--that's why I think it'd be a bad move to get a GT 350Z or something. May look nice, but the parts that make it up s***. Just look at its muffler, that's tacky and fake.

Anyway, my alternator was replaced under recall and I have the same sound. I'm going to venture a guess it's not the alternator, because it'd be hard to hear anything from the driver's seat. If it's that just lift the hood and have someone step on the accelerator while standing in front of the vehicle and listen for the sound.

My hunch is the sound is related to the drivetrain--I hear it when accelerating and it disappears momentarily when changing gears. And it's definitely a whining sound.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Same boat here. Guess these cars seem to have very consistent issues, kinda irritating for 1998 technology. They didn't have stuff like GPS and satellite radio at the time, but there was every chance to build a reliable car especially given the 29k+ list prices. Nissan uses marginal parts if you ask me--that's why I think it'd be a bad move to get a GT 350Z or something. May look nice, but the parts that make it up s***. Just look at its muffler, that's tacky and fake.

Anyway, my alternator was replaced under recall and I have the same sound. I'm going to venture a guess it's not the alternator, because it'd be hard to hear anything from the driver's seat. If it's that just lift the hood and have someone step on the accelerator while standing in front of the vehicle and listen for the sound.

My hunch is the sound is related to the drivetrain--I hear it when accelerating and it disappears momentarily when changing gears. And it's definitely a whining sound.
yeah I just don't know wtf it is, I honestly hope to god its the alternator. I'm not hard on the drivetrain at all. Plus this once again is heard whether in Neutral or any of the gears so I'm almost def. on it being either the water pump or the alternator. Plus to add to that the sound, sounds like its coming from the left side of the engine so -1 on the drivetrain and +1 on something pulley driven.. and I get a faint vibration in the pedals.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by Apparition
Right on, but.. I'm not the original owner.
I bought the car with 110K on it

They can run the VIN to see if it has ever been done.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
I bought the car with 110K on it

They can run the VIN to see if it has ever been done.
whoa I bought mine with 95K on it in Jan, alright glad to hear about that VIN deal as well, thanks.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:57 PM

I installed a blower while you were out drifting in the 240.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
I installed a blower while you were out drifting in the 240.
1 - How did you know I was drifting, damn spy, btw the KA is nothing compared to the SR haha, but thats obvious and always has been.. but he jus got the car after he wrecked his S13 so I'm going to be doing an SR swap on top of things haha. what do I get? A free 350z exhaust, not that that does much for a maxima haha.

2 - I thought maybe someone snuck one under there, now I know. I'm thinking Vortech running at least 42.5 lbs of boost.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:38 AM
B!tch We Got a Problem

right on sucks Geo T that it didn't fall in that year.. as for killerVQ haha its not a spooling sound its a pulley whine sound.

Oh and how do you know if your VIN falls in the timeframe that the alternators were faulty?

Checked with dealer, ran VIN #, &
Old 07-20-2006, 05:16 AM

yeah I just don't know wtf it is, I honestly hope to god its the alternator. I'm not hard on the drivetrain at all. Plus this once again is heard whether in Neutral or any of the gears so I'm almost def. on it being either the water pump or the alternator. Plus to add to that the sound, sounds like its coming from the left side of the engine so -1 on the drivetrain and +1 on something pulley driven.. and I get a faint vibration in the pedals.
find a s***hoscope that mechanics use and listen to the bearings in the alternator. don't know why that word is censored?
Old 07-20-2006, 05:42 AM
B!tch We Got a Problem

No need to call the dealer-just type in Nissan Maxima Recalls & it will say if your vehicle is in that category!

It says, If your vehicle falls into the category, it still may not affect your vehicle
Old 07-20-2006, 05:52 AM

Could driving thru high water cause the bearings to go bad and therefore make this noise? Because I also get a whining noise that gets louder as the RPMs rise and is present in all gears plus neutral. It is also coming from the side where all the pulleys are.
Thanks,
Ian
Old 07-20-2006, 06:08 AM

it could just be the bearings in the belt tensioner pulley
Old 07-20-2006, 10:45 AM

how could i go about finding out if it's the alternator or the belt tensioner?
Old 07-20-2006, 10:47 AM
VIP Maxima

its your alternator, samething happend to me. replace it before it starts to smoke

one way you would know for sure is to turn on your lights and rev it to see if the lights get brighter when u get on the gas.

& stay away from autozone/pepboys alternators.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:16 PM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Quote:

I wasn't refering to the engine sound...my speakers make the same type of noise and I was wondering if anyone had any clue as to what I could do to eliminate it. Someone said it was my Pyramid amp while someone else said it was my ground (which I changed due to their recommendation)...anyone else have any input on this noise?
Old 07-20-2006, 01:30 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

my older pyramid amp used to do it. they are junk IMO
Old 07-20-2006, 01:40 PM
The Golden One

Okay...I'll look into another amp. THey aren't too expensive.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:14 PM

I had the same problem and it does seem to be audio. I had it a while back and I never had an actual promblem with the car. It seemed to only happen when my ipod was plugged in. As weird as that sounds. But I did look intot he alternator at the time and such but the were no problems elsewhere.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:42 PM

It could also be the bearings in the a/c compressor. I know that was the case with me and everyone thought I was supercharged. To test it get a loooong flat head screwdriver and place it flat at the side of the a/c compressor pulley and place your ear on the handle and listen....you should be able to hear if its bad bearings. Hope that helps
Old 07-20-2006, 06:53 PM

I have the same whining sound, just replaced the alternator and still the same sound! man that pissed me off.

Im pretty sure its the a/c compressor, is there a belt that I can bypass it so I dont worry about changing it. I only use the a/c maybe for a few hours every summer at the most, rather have fresh air blow in my face.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by grandmastr
I have the same whining sound, just replaced the alternator and still the same sound! man that pissed me off.

Im pretty sure its the a/c compressor, is there a belt that I can bypass it so I dont worry about changing it. I only use the a/c maybe for a few hours every summer at the most, rather have fresh air blow in my face.
Im curently experiencing the same problem. Changed the alternator and still making that noise. I looked around and the cheapest compressor i found was 260 including the clutch assembly.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:07 AM

Do you know of a belt that can just skip the compressor completely?
Old 07-21-2006, 05:50 AM

I wasn't refering to the engine sound...my speakers make the same type of noise and I was wondering if anyone had any clue as to what I could do to eliminate it. Someone said it was my Pyramid amp while someone else said it was my ground (which I changed due to their recommendation)...anyone else have any input on this noise?
improve your grounds(car and amp[s]), if no go, get better amps.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by badcooliebwoy
It could also be the bearings in the a/c compressor. I know that was the case with me and everyone thought I was supercharged. To test it get a loooong flat head screwdriver and place it flat at the side of the a/c compressor pulley and place your ear on the handle and listen....you should be able to hear if its bad bearings. Hope that helps
yes,yes or read post #21. very effective tool. my replacement alt. has sounded like supercharger since day-one and that tool EASILY confirmed it was the alt.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by grandmastr
Do you know of a belt that can just skip the compressor completely?
i can give you the # of a kelly belt that fits PERFECTLY for bypassing the comp. been doing it for 3+ years. however can't til after work. that will be 6:30ish AZ time. sorry
Old 07-21-2006, 09:05 AM

I got my a/c compressor off ebay for $100 shipped with 50 k . Good luck with by passing it. I personally wouldn't do that.
Old 07-21-2006, 01:02 PM

Does the noise go away after a few mintues of driving? I'm experiencing the same thing and it goes away after 3 or 4 mintues. I'm assuming its my alternator, since it goes away after i drive? anyone?
Old 07-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Ichiban King

On mine it does not go away.. and its really no second guessing its the alt. or the compressor. I really don't see the water pump going yet.

Quick Reply: my cars whining like its supercharged wtf..