4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 07:35 PM

A Few Questions

Hello all

I recently purchased my maxima. It is a 5sp 98 Maxima GXE. It has an aftermarket sunroof, and an RCA aftermarket security system, I believe a J2. I love the car, and it is such a huge step up from the 97 Saturn SL2 I had before it. There are, however, a few things that I would like to fix, and have some questions about.

1. The door lock on the driver's door. I believe that when you turn the key twice to unlock the door, all the doors are supposed to unlock. However, this does not work on my Max. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is? Anyone have a similar problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?

2. The turn signal. My turn signals work fine, but they do not shut themselves off consistently. I can turn it on, always, and they always work. However, when I turn the wheel back, most of the time I need to shut them off manually. However, sometimes they work fine, and shut themselves off. There seems to be no pattern to this I can see. If anyone has had a similar problem, it would be appreciated if you could tell me how to fix it. I think that one way would be to replace the entire turn signal switch. However, this would be rather costly and labor intensive, and I would appreciate alternative ideas.

3. The overhead light. This is a convenience issue. My overhead light never turns itself on, even when switched manually. When I pull off the cover over the bulb itself and touch the light at all, it starts to work fine. As soon as I close the door and the light turns itself off, it will not turn itself back on. Is this a bad light assembly, or something else? Again, any ideas would be appreciated.

I know this looks like I am searching for problems, but I just got the car, and want it to be like new. Despite the 123k miles, it drives like a dream, and aside from the issues I have asked about, it seems perfect. I hope to keep this car until the mileage is at least double what it is now, since I love driving it. I thank anyone who responds for their response, and also thank you for taking the time to read this ranting post.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

1. maybe the base model GXE doesn't have that option?
2. It might be your clock spring in the steering wheel. Someone else said that their steering rack was not aligned correctly and when aligned it was fixed.
3. ----
if you donate 20 bucks you can use the search function and find out anything you would ever want to know about maximas.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Difficult is NOT impossible!

Originally Posted by konak85
1. maybe the base model GXE doesn't have that option?

1 My 96 GXE will do it, but maybe its in that "Safety & Convenience Package" I have that, and it also gives me keyless entry... If you have lighted vanity mirrors then you have that package.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:13 AM

I know my car does have the door lock option, because it works on the passenger's door. I am sorry I forgot to mention that originally.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:10 PM

3 sure sounds like you've got a loose connection up in the light assembly. Take it off and see what you find.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:03 PM
eturnl

Originally Posted by DBear
3 sure sounds like you've got a loose connection up in the light assembly. Take it off and see what you find.
yeh, you did say it was an aftermarket sunroof, maybe the installer fudged something up.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:09 PM

You know for sure it's an aftermarket sunroof?