4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Struts & lowering Springs... worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:57 AM

Struts & lowering Springs... worth it?

Finally I can post something! This is the second time I've had to register an account w/this forum because my last one was screwed up and couldn't fix it because of email problems, but anyhow... Back again for the first time.

I've been debating this for a while now - Getting my car lowered. I had the springs and struts already picked out- TEIN S.TECH's and the TOKICO HP's. After purchasing new rims and tires which were more expensive then first planned, I might not be able to afford to lower my ride. Here's why... $400 installation fee!!!!!

I can't find a place in the Omaha area that'll take struts and springs I bought and install them for cheaper. And to think if I did this and one of the springs or struts was bad ... another $400 to get them off!!!!

Is all this hassle even worth it? I won't see anything as far as resale that this will help ... except looks and my own personal pleasure.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:10 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

$400 is gross gross gross. Keep looking. It's really an easy job. The only reason a lot of shops charge a lot for it is that most people think it's a much bigger deal than it actually is.

BTW, why S-Techs and HPs? That sounds like a recipe for disaster...
Old 07-24-2006, 10:02 AM

Amen to that! $400 is ridiculous! The search is on, so far not so good.

The s-techs are the only suspension I like that will help even the front and rear's out. Right now the rear is .75" lower then the fronts ... might be because of the subs in the trunk, not sure.

The HP-blue's were recommended because of the price and the fact (I was told) luminas weren't much of an upgrade...and too expensive for me.

If you can recommend a better (same price if not cheaper) strut then by all means do so... I'm a total noob when it comes to suspensions. I just know what I want it to look like.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:13 AM
What was that?

Originally Posted by Realtight
Amen to that! $400 is ridiculous! The search is on, so far not so good.

The s-techs are the only suspension I like that will help even the front and rear's out. Right now the rear is .75" lower then the fronts ... might be because of the subs in the trunk, not sure.

The HP-blue's were recommended because of the price and the fact (I was told) luminas weren't much of an upgrade...and too expensive for me.

If you can recommend a better (same price if not cheaper) strut then by all means do so... I'm a total noob when it comes to suspensions. I just know what I want it to look like.
Illuminas are much better. You can opt for KYB shocks. They are cheaper than the illuminas and are also adjustable. I'de save my money and do it right the first time.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:19 AM
scoobystoned...

i have the tokico HP struts with tein h-tech springs. i love this setup, it has a nice drop, great handling, not too expensive, and great ride still. i think that HPs with s-techs would suck though, it would ride rough, and the shocks might blow sooner than they would if you used h-techs. you cant drop too low unless you have adjustable struts. i think hp's with h-techs are perfectly suited.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:41 AM

yeah, I looked at those springs as well... do any of you have a 100lb+ subwoofer setup in the trunk with your new suspension? The only REAL reason I'd like my ride lowered is to fix the .75" lower rear and most of the springs out there have a near even drop... no good for me.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:17 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

progress springs have a nice rake when installed, so with your sub you will be even. i had them with KYB AGX and the ride was choppy because there was almost no travel in the suspension (especially in the front). maxima's suspension doesnt have a lot of travel by design, and lowering more than an inch starts to compromise things greatly. not an issue if the roads are very smooth, but i didnt like it on the streets on NY.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Maxima Owner

Spend the cash and get KONI yellows for struts......I love my progress springs with my KONIs....i wish they were a tad stiffer but they are still great
Old 07-24-2006, 12:30 PM

yeah, right now still lookin' grim...

I managed to get a lower rate... $300 for install/labor, the cheapest I've found so far... this sucks. I'm down right bumbed
Old 07-24-2006, 12:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Realtight... I lowered my 99maxi about 3 years ago, and I regret it... Even though she looks AWESOME, However over time, I've noticed that it wears on the bodyframe... going over bumps, you hear more things rattle, etc..
Old 07-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Real check your pm box
Old 07-24-2006, 01:48 PM

S-Techs are okay springs, but they kill most of your suspension travel and aren't quite as stiff as they need to be to keep your car from smacking the bumpstops all the time.

HPs are good on stock springs and mild lowering springs, but S-Techs are too low. You'll be running a high risk of blowing the shocks out prematurely.

If you're looking for an even drop with subs in the trunk, just find a spring kit that drops the front lower than the rear. S-Techs are definitely NOT the only ones that do that.

Don't cheap out on lowering your car. You need springs that are stiff enough to match their drop and shocks/struts that are good enough to keep the ride under control. If you cheap out, you could end up bouncing like a clown car, riding the bumpstops all day, and blowing your struts out really prematurely. The cheapest option worth considering is the Tokico HP spring-and-strut kit, which is $450: this should be the BARE MINIMUM. In all honesty, the best option in your case would most likely be Progress/Illumina for ~$600 and change.

Another option is a full coilover kit. That will run you upwards of $700, but it should be cheaper to install if the shop is being honest with you. It will ride rougher than most suspension combinations, but it will allow ride height adjustment and ELIMINATE hitting the bumpstops (except in very extreme cases).
Old 07-24-2006, 01:48 PM
scoobystoned...

yeah, I looked at those springs as well... do any of you have a 100lb+ subwoofer setup in the trunk with your new suspension? The only REAL reason I'd like my ride lowered is to fix the .75" lower rear and most of the springs out there have a near even drop... no good for me.
i have 2 ten inch MTX thunder subs in a ported box with a 1440 watt amp and cap. my drop is still even, actually lower in the front with the h-techs
Old 07-24-2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by aih98max
i have 2 ten inch MTX thunder subs in a ported box with a 1440 watt amp and cap. my drop is still even, actually lower in the front with the h-techs
Do you have an auto or 5-speed? Autos often end up lower in the front than 5-speeds do.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Do you have an auto or 5-speed? Autos often end up lower in the front than 5-speeds do.
it's a 5-speed...

I have a 3.6 cubic ft. custom built ported enclosure for my Assassin 12's w/a kicker 600 watt monoblock. The setup takes up half of the trunk, the box is heavy, a real beast.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:10 PM
scoobystoned...

Originally Posted by d00df00d
mines a auto, i love my drop.

it's a 5-speed...

I have a 3.6 cubic ft. custom built ported enclosure for my Assassin 12's w/a kicker 600 watt monoblock. The setup takes up half of the trunk, the box is heavy, a real beast.
he was askin me, but i think since you have a 5-speed you need to get a drop that is lower in the front than in the back, it should turn out nice and even. id say get h-techs or progress springs. either should work. s-tech would also work if you want to go that low.

btw, what are assassin subwoofers? ive never heard of them.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by aih98max
he was askin me, but i think since you have a 5-speed you need to get a drop that is lower in the front than in the back, it should turn out nice and even. id say get h-techs or progress springs. either should work. s-tech would also work if you want to go that low.

btw, what are assassin subwoofers? ive never heard of them.

OOops, I was @ work, usually don't read through everything as throughly is I should... as for the Assassin's, Ascendant Audio makes them <they're an internet company with amazing price/performence ratio.

http://ascendantaudio.com/

my Assassin's are very close if not better in SQ and SPL then an Infinity Perfect or a JL W3.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:46 PM

I know I'll probably get castrated for saying this, but I've been thinking about just pullin the old spring heating drop on my Max, just wondring if this is extremely ill advised, or if anyone has done it before.
thanks...
Old 07-24-2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I know I'll probably get castrated for saying this, but I've been thinking about just pullin the old spring heating drop on my Max, just wondring if this is extremely ill advised, or if anyone has done it before.
thanks...
Not so much "castrated" as "pointed and laughed at". Yes, it is a bad idea.