4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Axle removal/Tranny replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 06:14 PM

Axle removal/Tranny replacement

So I am into day one of my tranny change. As usual it is taking 3 times as long as it should cause I have never done this before and there is some hangup with every step... I have gotten to the point of pulling the axles out... I can't get the driver side axle out. (I haven't even tried the pass side yet) I was under the impression that you just pry it out. Is there some magic trick? I've already gotten the axle out of the steering knuckle. Please help me... And I know what your thinking... if I can't get the axle out why am I trying to change the tranny... shut up!

Old 08-18-2006, 06:48 PM

oh my '99 auto w/ LSD... I just yanked it hard a few time and it came out. There's a snapring in there that prevents it from coming out, a few hard tugs and it oughta budge.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:48 PM
Armed and Dangerous

It just pulls out. If you're using a pry bar on it and still can't get it out then something is wrong... like the snap ring on the end of the axle got twisted in there. Maybe it happened back when the axle was first installed. Could try removing the passenger axle first, then using a long screw driver and a hammer to knock out the end the driver's side axle through the differential.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:53 PM
SLOW

did you try banging on the handle of the prybar with a mallet? a sharp impact like that might be necessary to pop it loose.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:52 PM

PASSANGER SID U NEED TO TAKE OFF THE 3 10mm bolts first....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT FORGET
But u should be able to pry it out easily...
Old 08-18-2006, 08:26 PM

I guess thats all it is.. I pushed pretty hard on that prybar...thanks for the advice. I am calling it quits for tonight. I will try again when I get up.. and If I just can't get it out I will assume that it was due to the tranny being completly fubared (you should have seen the tranny fluid that came out... nasty... and only 7000 since I put the fluid in). I have one more question though for the morning. The shift support rod next to the shifter control rod... Do I need to unbolt that bracket completely or do I just need to take one of the bolts out? It looks like the one that's easy to get to is run into the tranny bell housing, so it will need to come out, but the other bolt on it is run into the engine side, but i don't know if it runs through into the tranny too... that other one looks hard to get to, so I just thought I would ask. You can see that I unbolted the shift control rod linkage, and the support rod is to the right. The front of the car is at the bottom of pic. Also I got the pass side out. It slid right on out.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 PM
I support for what?

So exactly why are you removing the tranny?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Pull pull pull. Borrow a slide hammer from kragen/autozone/pepboyz if you need. (it'll come in handy later when you pull the pilot bearing.)

I unhooked the shifter rod, and the control rod. search for a post by me in the general forum for step-by-step word doc on clutch replacement.

Jae
Old 08-18-2006, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
Pull pull pull. Borrow a slide hammer from kragen/autozone/pepboyz if you need. (it'll come in handy later when you pull the pilot bearing.)

I unhooked the shifter rod, and the control rod. search for a post by me in the general forum for step-by-step word doc on clutch replacement.

Jae
Thanks I'll check it out.

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
So exactly why are you removing the tranny?
About a year ago I had a guy change my clutch, and whether by pure coincidence or not, imediately afterwards the symptoms of failing diff bearings started. Diff bearings started making noise and then the noise got louder and louder, and play developed and eventually input shaft bearing started making noise and fluid started leaking around axles then the diff bearings started grinding (I guess they completely dissentegrated in the last couple of weeks) I finally got around to doing this now. Too late, I fear, to salvage my old tranny... Prolly everything in it needs replacing now.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:42 PM

The axle will come out regardless of the tranny condition. You have the right idea on the second pic on the top, just keep prying and it will pop out. The Pass side is a bit easier cause it has a support bracket with three bolts holding it to the motor. Remove that, and it should slide out.

As for the shifter linkage to the motor, all that needs to removed. The one bolt comes out of the trans that supports that one flat bracket, that folds down, and the actually shifter linkage gets removed and will hang there.

BTW, should have pulled the ball joint instead from the bottom. By removing the strut, youll need an alignment now. Oh well

-matt
Old 08-19-2006, 01:39 PM

Mine started leaking after I replaced my clutch too. Previous to that, the axle's never been removed.
Jae
Old 08-19-2006, 02:26 PM

pull it sharply.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:29 PM

OK... I got the tranny changed. I actually dropped the tranny with the drivers axle still stuck in it and then pryed it out once it was out.
Now I have got the drivers axle back into the new tranny with no problem... now the bracket on the passenger side axle won't line up with the holes enough to get the bolts in!! it's as if the axle needs to go into the tranny another 1/8" in order to get the holes on the bracket to line up. I can't get a screw driver or anything in the holes to help push it over, cause the exhaust is in the way.... and so on... The passenger side axle slid right out before... it doesn't need to be snaped in or forced in does it? I am open to suggestions
Old 08-19-2006, 05:05 PM

now that i remember i had a similar problem with a hyundai i was working on.. had to drop it with the trans......
Old 08-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im looking at the first picture and was wondering when you took those 2 bolts off, that connect the strut to the rotor, if the strut or spring came down... im trying to replace the CV boots and dont know if i need to hold the coils or suspension up before taking those 2 bolts off
Old 08-19-2006, 07:37 PM
SLOW

The strut and spring will still be connected to the car via the top strut mount. It will just hang there, you don't have to do anything.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks a lot, i was really afraid the spring would take my arm off or something
Old 08-19-2006, 09:01 PM

OK... Tranny has been changed. Most everything is back together. I need to bleed the clutch tomorrow and put tranny fluid in it and put my intake and battery back on. I am worried about one thing though. The Driver side axle seems to want to come out as soon as I start turning it. It was a pain to get it back in just as it was a pain to get out. I thought it had gone right in but I looked a little later and it was wiggling around and hadn't snapped in there. I can get it snapped in by really jamming it in there but once I get the steering knuckle back on and then turn the axle it slides back out. Could this be as simple as replacing the snap ring (which honestly seems to be just fine) or could there be something more sinister? The spline and all are clean on the axle and in the tranny. I don't know why it wants to slide back out when we start turning it. The axles have definately been a pain on this project. Tomorrow or later on this week I will post pics of all the work and let you know if everything worked or if it didn't and I had to light it on fire and drive it off a cliff...