4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Leaky sunroof issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 10:18 AM

Leaky sunroof issues.

My sunroof has been leaking in various positions ever since the rains started here in NY. It rained overnight and when i got into my car the odor from the wetness was not pleasant and the panel that sits under the sunroof was soaked as hell and the water seeped into other parts of the interior next to it. The weather seals are pretty worn out in various spots around the outside of the sunroof. Does the sunroof repair kit come with new weather stripping that goes all the around the sunroof or do I have to shell out $400+ for an entirely new sunroof assembly? If I have to, that's fine. I'd rather spend the money to have it fixed properly than do a cheapy route for a half azzed fix. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

far as i know rebuild will be the best bet..i do not know if they come with the rubber seals..but you can probably find some used of even buy new and do a rebuild for cheaper than a new sunroof
Old 08-27-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by ObsidianIce69
far as i know rebuild will be the best bet..i do not know if they come with the rubber seals..but you can probably find some used of even buy new and do a rebuild for cheaper than a new sunroof
Do you know the part number and price for new sunroof from Nissan? I don't think the rebuild kit comes with the seals.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:36 PM

ive had da same problem with my max a few weeks ago heres what i did

1 go in the trunk pull back the panels on both left and right sides
then feel along the inside need the body of the car for a riubber tube this is the sunroof drain hose after you locate the hose on both sides you need to get an air hose and attach it to the end of the hose to clear the drain lines
replace the hose makin sure u put them back into the hole at the bottom of both sides

2 open the sunroof and clear the two drain holes which are in the front left and right corners you can pour a little bit of water to make sure the holes are cleared

it worked for me
Old 08-27-2006, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by 2muchbass
ive had da same problem with my max a few weeks ago heres what i did

1 go in the trunk pull back the panels on both left and right sides
then feel along the inside need the body of the car for a riubber tube this is the sunroof drain hose after you locate the hose on both sides you need to get an air hose and attach it to the end of the hose to clear the drain lines
replace the hose makin sure u put them back into the hole at the bottom of both sides

2 open the sunroof and clear the two drain holes which are in the front left and right corners you can pour a little bit of water to make sure the holes are cleared

it worked for me
It's not the drain hoses at all. The rubber stripping around the glass of the sunroof is rotted away. In one particular section there is a small hole where light can pass through right into the inside of the car. I think I need the rubber guard around the glass or a new glass with new rubber around it.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by shadygrey
Do you know the part number and price for new sunroof from Nissan? I don't think the rebuild kit comes with the seals.
afraid not..sorry.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:18 AM

Looks like I'm gonna need to purchase a whole new glass. The rubber is attached to the glass and is not sold seperately. Also, due to drips the slide panel inside the car has begun to rott out and collect mold.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:24 PM

damn that sucks..check the forum though, there's got to be someone that's selling sunroof glass....and probably the sliding panel as well.