4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cefiro Headlight questions...need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 10:31 AM

Cefiro Headlight questions...need help

I installed the Cefiro headlights on my 95 max. i love em but....the socket s that are in the clearance lamp are not the same as my stock ones so I can't plug the 1157 harness into it to have the lights come on. Anyone else run into this problem? Is there a part # availabel that I can purchase which will fit the socket? Also, there is another little bulb and socket inside the headlights. Looks like a 194 bulb in there. Anyone hook that up yet? If so, how'd you do it? thanks in advance.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I used an exacto knife to cut a notch in the the plastic around the harness hole to make room for the extra nub on the bulb. Works great!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:22 AM

I went the exacto knife route also.

I have a bigger problem though. What bulbs are you guys using? Do I need a different harness to make these work right? The stock 9004' s make a pattern like a tube. I have light all around the edges, but nothing in the middle. I can look right into the lights when they are on and not get blinded. I think the large internal reflectors in the Cefiros need a different length bulb to make the right pattern. Any help is appreciated.

jjam
Old 08-28-2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by iansw
I used an exacto knife to cut a notch in the the plastic around the harness hole to make room for the extra nub on the bulb. Works great!
Cool. I'll try that. What about the extra bulbs in the headlight? Have you hooked those up yet?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by jjamzman
I went the exacto knife route also.

I have a bigger problem though. What bulbs are you guys using? Do I need a different harness to make these work right? The stock 9004' s make a pattern like a tube. I have light all around the edges, but nothing in the middle. I can look right into the lights when they are on and not get blinded. I think the large internal reflectors in the Cefiros need a different length bulb to make the right pattern. Any help is appreciated.

jjam

You are supposed to use H4 bulbs with the Cefiros..
I had that issue with 9004 HID's... looks great, everything around in front of me was lite up except what ever was directly in front of me...

Solution, I am retrofitting projectors..

but yeah, swapping to H4 bulbs will help a great deal!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by shadygrey
Cool. I'll try that. What about the extra bulbs in the headlight? Have you hooked those up yet?

Thoase are 194 bulbs.. I wired mine to the clearance lights, so my headlights shine yellow when I have my parking lights on..

but those will be gone once I have the projectors retrofitted...

for pics, go to my car domain page in my sig...
Old 08-28-2006, 09:52 AM

I will try the H4 bulbs. Thanks a lot. I can barely drive this thing at night with the 9004 VX's. I am also interested in your projector retrofit. Sounds like a cool swap.

jjam
Old 08-28-2006, 10:28 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by Digitized
You are supposed to use H4 bulbs with the Cefiros..
I had that issue with 9004 HID's... looks great, everything around in front of me was lite up except what ever was directly in front of me...

Solution, I am retrofitting projectors..

but yeah, swapping to H4 bulbs will help a great deal!
don't know if you can see well, cause it was raining the whole day yesterday, but here's a shot of what my rainy day project was:

Old 08-28-2006, 03:47 PM

Thoase are 194 bulbs.. I wired mine to the clearance lights, so my headlights shine yellow when I have my parking lights on..

but those will be gone once I have the projectors retrofitted...

for pics, go to my car domain page in my sig...
What's the nissan part# for the harness that connects into the socket??
Old 08-28-2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by tavarish
don't know if you can see well, cause it was raining the whole day yesterday, but here's a shot of what my rainy day project was:

What did you use as shrouds/ projector combo? also, were they hard to open the lights? aligning issues?
they look good... need pics of the lit up!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:32 PM

no nissan part...
I sorta pulled a macguyver on this one with the help of my bro.

I'll try to snap a pic to show you.. easier that way
Old 08-28-2006, 09:49 PM
10 psi

Originally Posted by iansw

same here, also i just spliced the 194 to my parking lights so that they would turn on and be visible w/o the headlights being on.

I have a set of H4 harnesses for 10 bucks if you want them. the headlights aren't designed for 9004's. I know EXCACTLY what you are seeing, it looks like a huge ring on the ground close to your car.

post pics?!?!
Old 08-28-2006, 10:13 PM

that bumper kills me, nice ch and i like what you did with the lights. i wish i had the time/money for angel eyes and 2 proj in my set up
Old 08-28-2006, 10:26 PM
fwd gone rwd cr00

What did you use as shrouds/ projector combo? also, were they hard to open the lights? aligning issues?
they look good... need pics of the lit up!
They are land rover LR3 projectors and bezels. They were too big to fit in the cefiros, so i had to cut the bezels a bit. They line up fine, and I still need to aim them. It was not hard opening the lights at all, just heat to 400 degrees, turn off the oven, and let them sit in there for 10 mins. The glue should be nice and soft.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:28 AM

They are land rover LR3 projectors and bezels. They were too big to fit in the cefiros, so i had to cut the bezels a bit. They line up fine, and I still need to aim them. It was not hard opening the lights at all, just heat to 400 degrees, turn off the oven, and let them sit in there for 10 mins. The glue should be nice and soft.

Looks good.. were you able to keep the 194 bulb hole?

I'm currently in the process for my retrofitting...
I have TSX projectors, but now, I just gotta pick up some shrouds... either BMW's or Audi A4's...

I'll try to post pics once I am done
Old 08-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Ichiban King

I wonder if they'll ever make glass cefiros.. man, I'd sure as hell buy some.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:56 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Looks good.. were you able to keep the 194 bulb hole?

I'm currently in the process for my retrofitting...
I have TSX projectors, but now, I just gotta pick up some shrouds... either BMW's or Audi A4's...

I'll try to post pics once I am done
yeah, my strobes are in the 194 hole.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:57 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

Originally Posted by Apparition
plastic >>>>>>> glass.

easer to clean, doesnt crack (as easily), and lighter.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:49 PM

sorry it took so long to reply... but I got some pics.. hope it helps on how to install the 194 connector..

This first pic shows you the original 194 bulb connector that came with the Cefiro's, removed from the original clip. I wasn't able to find the other side of the clip they used, so, I removed the red and black wires with the original soldered tips from the plastic clip. I then proceeded to get more black and red wire, went to the local electronics so, found similar type switches..
I soldered the old tips onto the new tips. ( the new clip kit comes with both male and female plastic end clips and the male femal metal tips tips that go in the plastic clips) solder to the tip of wires)

The second pic shows you how it's connected to it's power source.

At the current time the bulb is orange.. I only have a bulb there to occupy the plug since I am back with the original headlights... gonna start my cefiro retrofit project soon

the clip for the wiring to the corner light opens open.. just strectch the white rubber ring to accept another wire, connect to existing clip/wire, close up the clip, now you got a clean water proof connection.

the ziptie is only there as precautionary for the temp headlight reinstall.. the light holds no problem without it, but I don't want to take a chance since I did have to do cutting to install the lights..
Old 12-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey i have the 95-99 MAXIMA/ I30 A32 BLACK CEFIRO HEADLIGHTS, i put them in, and everything looks great, i also put in my H.I.D's, my only problem is the bulbs for the 194's i want brighter ones does ne one kno where i can get them? so far i've only found ones that are 5 watt
Old 12-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Drastic08
Hey i have the 95-99 MAXIMA/ I30 A32 BLACK CEFIRO HEADLIGHTS, i put them in, and everything looks great, i also put in my H.I.D's, my only problem is the bulbs for the 194's i want brighter ones does ne one kno where i can get them? so far i've only found ones that are 5 watt
Super LED + Resistor = problem solved.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:25 PM

if i remember correctly the 194 bulb is hooked up to my corner bulb next to the headlight.
i have aligning issue with mine. other cars keep flashing cuz they're aimed to high and i got hid's. the adjustment **** on them doesn't do anthing. it sucks cuz i can't really enjoy the hid's, so roll around with the fogs only. any suggestions?
Old 12-27-2006, 09:07 PM

what i did was just solder some wires on the cefiro socket....i hooked the lower wattage filament to the corner wires and the higher wattage filament to the turn signal. So now my corners are also turn signals

oh yeh amber corners FTW
Old 12-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Apparition
There are glass cefiros but they are two piece. I was going to get them but I didn't know if they had the same fittment issues as the 1 piece ones.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by 97MaximaSE97
There are glass cefiros but they are two piece. I was going to get them but I didn't know if they had the same fittment issues as the 1 piece ones.
Well, essentially those are like OE replacements IMO.. + running lights. Fitment is always terrible. OE is the way for me.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:58 AM

Hell yea man, I bue these Cool *** PIAA Blue LED's in the extra light bulb spot in the housings there. I also put them in my door's

kinda pricy, But im a high rolla!
Old 12-28-2006, 09:10 AM

sooooooooooo jelous......
Old 12-28-2006, 10:23 AM
Ichiban King

Man Tav. you're car's front is beat to all sorts of hell..
Old 12-28-2006, 05:34 PM

i just soldered some wires into the socket and spliced it into the factory plug.
still works as a park lamp, and being that its an 1157 i could tap the other filament into the corner lights, which i was going to do, but never got to it. the city light i have wired into the park lamp too so when i turn on the lights the corners are orange and the headlight is blue.