4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Suspension help...

I changed my struts/shocks a little over a year ago, and my car still rides terrible. This mostly occurs when I ride over bumps. It feels like my suspension is bottoming out and hitting the frame.
I got it my friends max, and he takes bumps w/o the same terribly harsh sound that I get when I do.

Any takers/ suggestions?
Old 08-28-2006, 09:24 AM

welcome to the club.. .i have the same problem and i haver replaced everyting excetp the shock mounts.. still rides like a shopping cart...
Old 08-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Blown

What springs and struts did you get? If you need more rear travel I am selling some replacement long travel mounts.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by nycspudz03
I changed my struts/shocks a little over a year ago, and my car still rides terrible. This mostly occurs when I ride over bumps. It feels like my suspension is bottoming out and hitting the frame.
I got it my friends max, and he takes bumps w/o the same terribly harsh sound that I get when I do.

Any takers/ suggestions?
Pls provide specifics..what springs/struts do you currently have? 1yr is not much on shocks unless your roads are really bad & you drive like a maniac over them.
I currently have eibachs/illuminas & I've improved the ride considerably by adjusting my tire pressure back to stock 33fr/32r. We all know how stiff Eibachs are so that's a worthy achievement.
You should put it on a hoist and have a look at the LCA's & sway bar bushings, I changed them all, an the car is 100% better now.
Next on my list is SFC, they should tighten up the old girl & get rid of some of those rattles.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have stock replacement struts and shocks from the dealer....Also changed out my lower control arms,ball joints,end links,...inner/outer tie rods...Car rode decent for a while, but went back to the "shopping cart," "bottoming out" ride.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:34 PM

yep thats exectly how mines is... except i wouldn say it bottoms out it just doesnt absorbe anyting...
Old 08-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just got my suspention put in my car 3 weeks ago. I got the eibach coilover springs and blue tokico shock. My ride is so bouncy now. Everytime i hit run over something hard i can feel that i'm bottom out. It sounds like metal hitting metal. Anyone out there that have the same problem before please advise for help. Maybe i should get a bump stopper for my front shocks? Thank you in advance
Old 08-29-2006, 05:01 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by nycspudz03
I have stock replacement struts and shocks from the dealer....Also changed out my lower control arms,ball joints,end links,...inner/outer tie rods...Car rode decent for a while, but went back to the "shopping cart," "bottoming out" ride.
It sounds like your struts are blown. But they should not be in only a year. Have you tried pushing down on each corner of your car to see how well the struts are working? Have you thought about getting aftermarket struts? You are not lowered are you? If you are lowered that is your problem (lowered on stock struts).
Old 08-29-2006, 05:06 AM
Blown

Originally Posted by gudfella
I just got my suspention put in my car 3 weeks ago. I got the eibach coilover springs and blue tokico shock. My ride is so bouncy now. Everytime i hit run over something hard i can feel that i'm bottom out. It sounds like metal hitting metal. Anyone out there that have the same problem before please advise for help. Maybe i should get a bump stopper for my front shocks? Thank you in advance
I also have ground controls and my car ride is a little bouncy. Are you coming from stock suspension? If so the difference in ride/bouncy is going to be much more noticible...I have been lowered for so long I forget what a stock maxima feels like. The Blues that you have are not really made for lowered cars, especially for something as agressive as ground controls. You may want to look at KYB AGX's or the Tokico Illuminas. As for your bump stops you should have those on (cut them in half before you put them on), but its going to take away some suspension travel.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you for your respond. Yes I just changed my stock suspension to coil over. About the bump stop, can I use my old ones and cut them to make it fit. As long as it stop making the metal sound like it bottom out I will sacrifice my suspension travel a little I guess its ok. I'm also thinking about taking the metal top plate sitting on top of the spring so it won't hit the shock every time my car bouncing up and down. Would this be a good idea? Beside my car is about 3 inches drop, I’m thinking about bringing it back up to about 2 inches. Any suggestions please help.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:07 AM
Blown

don't take the upper spring perch out, that is a very!!! bad idea.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I putted the bump stopper and they do works. My car doesn't sound like it bottom out anymore. But i feel like it more bouncier than before. I think because of the bump stopper sitting between the upper spring perch and the shock and it leaves no gap for the spring perch and the shock to travel. Any suggestions please help.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:04 PM

I'd replace the sway bar bushings - the two rubbers that bolt the sway bar to the frame. Mine had split. If you change the geometry of your ride it could be that you have twisted the sway bar into the split and it's banging on the frame.

It's a cheap fix and only takes an hour (you guys'll do it in 15 mins) The improvement to my ride was huge.