4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New strut noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:05 PM

New strut noise

OK so I got the Tokico illuminas, LOVE THEM! but my driverside rear strut makes this Loud clanking noise when it's hit hard, like when In pull left into a driveway/parking lot ect. I thought it was my strut cuz I did scratch it up really bad so I just recentley replaced it and now the NEW one is making the same noise. Iv tighten everything and tried it both ways, with the tokico emblem sticking out and without it sticking out. The only thing I think it could be is that my OEM strut mount, the spring doesn't sit in the same spot as the original OEM spring and on my passenger side it sits perfect and makes NO NOISE, Could this be it???????? What could it be??? Anyone else have this problem????? Ill see if I can get pictures later. Any help would be good...

Thanks...
Old 09-05-2006, 06:41 PM

turn the spring so that it sits in the correct place?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 96i30azn
turn the spring so that it sits in the correct place?

I did, but then the screws on the mount don't match up and I can't install it. The way I have it is the only way it will go back on...
Old 09-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Turn your springs relative to the top perch so the bolts line up. They will seat anywhere in that rubber. The end of the spring relative to the bottom perch is the most important.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxFan
Turn your springs relative to the top perch so the bolts line up. They will seat anywhere in that rubber. The end of the spring relative to the bottom perch is the most important.

Yeah, I did this too. The bottom end of the spring sits perfect to the strut. The only thing I can think it is, is the top strut mount and the rubber already being formed for the original spring and the new spring not sitting perfectly square in the rubber part, but I want to see if anyone has had this problem and see how they fixed it. Thanks for the suggestions though...
Old 09-05-2006, 09:56 PM

maybe the people who orderd your parts gave you the wrong ones???? I ended up getting the wrong ones at first. (long story, not my fault)
Old 09-06-2006, 07:50 AM

i have the same problem with illumina/htechs on the driver side rear. Seems like there is no way to have both ends of the spring to sit in the designated spots. passenger side is perfect. Thanks for the info ManualMax.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by konak85
i have the same problem with illumina/htechs on the driver side rear. Seems like there is no way to have both ends of the spring to sit in the designated spots. passenger side is perfect. Thanks for the info ManualMax.

Yeah, thats why Im thinking it might be the strut mount...It's unbelievable cuz Iv tried EVERYTHING!!!! Has anyone actually fixed this problem or they just live with it??? What would be some good strut mounts???
Old 09-06-2006, 10:23 PM

i hear ya Stang. I know a lot of people are running illuminas especially with Htechs.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:42 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by Stagnet04
I just recentley replaced it and now the NEW one is making the same noise....
Then it's not the sturt making the noise.

Make sure the strut components are clocked correctly. The word "OUT" stamped on the top of the upper spring perch must face outwards or be in line with the struts lower mounting flange.

Make sure your strut bearings are installed correctly, I've seen guys put them in upside down. And make sure they are in good condition. Take them apart and regrease them if you can, or use new ones.

Check the condition of the upper strut mount. If the rubber is cracked, spins or looks dried out, replace it.

Check your lower control arm bushings, ball joint, sway bar end links and tie rod ends for play.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:25 AM

Yeah, I think Im gonna go in there and start replacing all the little things. What would be some good strut mounts? well besides OEM.

Thanks...
Old 09-18-2006, 07:53 PM

Anyone have Ben long traveled strut mounts? How do you like them? Where can I get them? and do you have pics of them?......

Anyone????
Old 09-19-2006, 02:32 PM
iAMIXAM!

i have that same clanking noise but i am still fully stuck, i shake my spring anf i get a lil play in it, what do u guys thing i should do?
Old 09-19-2006, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by loverholic
i have that same clanking noise but i am still fully stuck, i shake my spring anf i get a lil play in it, what do u guys thing i should do?

Have you changed your strut mount, cuz Im about to do it...cuz the top of the spring doesn't sit flush in the rubber part where the old spring sat. Do you have the same problem?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:14 PM
iAMIXAM!

Have you changed your strut mount, cuz Im about to do it...cuz the top of the spring doesn't sit flush in the rubber part where the old spring sat. Do you have the same problem?
i never really took it off to look, but you seem right because when i hold the spring and shake it real hard i feel like it is a lil ose onthe top, thats where the play comes from... how much are those mount anyway...

do you just take off the whole thing and compress the springs while u change out the mounts? have you dont it before?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by loverholic
i never really took it off to look, but you seem right because when i hold the spring and shake it real hard i feel like it is a lil ose onthe top, thats where the play comes from... how much are those mount anyway...

do you just take off the whole thing and compress the springs while u change out the mounts? have you dont it before?

Yeah, iv changed out the the springs and struts b4 and the only thing I can think of is the top strut mount, everything else looks perfect.. All you do is compress the springs with spring compressors and then take the top off with a vise grip and socket wrench... I know you can get the OEM strut mounts from the dealer for about $28 a pop, but I rather just go for the Bens long traveled mounts. I think they're the same price, better comfort and specially made for lowered cars, But I have no idea where to get them and I know someone on here has had and fixed this problem on there car. I just hope they step up and spill out there secret!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:19 AM
iAMIXAM!

Yeah, iv changed out the the springs and struts b4 and the only thing I can think of is the top strut mount, everything else looks perfect.. All you do is compress the springs with spring compressors and then take the top off with a vise grip and socket wrench... I know you can get the OEM strut mounts from the dealer for about $28 a pop, but I rather just go for the Bens long traveled mounts. I think they're the same price, better comfort and specially made for lowered cars, But I have no idea where to get them and I know someone on here has had and fixed this problem on there car. I just hope they step up and spill out there secret!
well iam not gonna lower my car cause i am not keeping it, so i will just get one from the junk yard and through it on... i am gonna sell it at the end of the year to get me a 97-99 se 5spd, black/black leather, with se rims...love them to death...lol