4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

No More Axxis Ultimates - How about Hawk HPS or Akebono?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:59 PM

No More Axxis Ultimates - How about Hawk HPS or Akebono?

I used to be a die hard fan of Axxis Ultimate brake pads, but they wear fairly quickly and really chew up my rotors.

I'm thinking of switching to Hawk HPS pads. Can anyone compare the performance of Hawk HPS pads to Axxis Ultimate pads? Are the Hawks friendlier to your rotors?

How about Akebono pads? Anyone have any experience with those?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I didn't like Ultimates. They just didn't stop very well. Hawk HP+ > Porterfield R4-S > Axxis Ultimates. I'm guessing the HPS ranks with the Ultimates. Never tried the Akebonos. Are you considering them cuz TireRack has them?

Jae
Old 09-07-2006, 07:19 AM

They have a set of Hawk HPS front pads for $60 on www.importreplacementparts.com

I remember other people mentioning good things about the Hawk Pads and I wanted to try a different pad since my Axxis Ultimates chewed up my rotors really fast.

Do you have Hawk pads on your Max Jae?

Anyone else use and like Hawk HPS pads?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Fire in the hole!

While I don't have experience with them on a Maxima, I have experience with them on my race car, an 85 RX-7 built for autoX. I tried almost every brake combination out there... Axxis ultimates, Hawk HPS, Hawk HP+, Hawk Blacks, EBC Greenstuff, EBC Redstuff, EBC Yellowstuff, Porterfield R4S, Porterfield R4... again, you name it, I probably used it.

The final setup that I went with, but again, this is a 2000 lb., stripped out, caged, race car, that sees very little street duty.... was Hawk Blacks up front, HPS's in the rear. The HPS's are friendlier to rotors, this is true. But... they fade a little bit faster than the Ultimates... the HP+ pads are some of my favorites, but I ordered a set of EBC Greenstuff pads for my Maxima. I've got experience with them, I like them, and they aren't terribly expensive. I also autoX my Maxima twice a month, and from previous experience, I'm sure they'll work great.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:57 AM

what about those hawk blacks? you didnt explain those?
and i know they arnt on the max yet, but what about the Greenstuff pads? what experiance have you seen on your rx7?

(off topic : what tires and rim do you use on your max for autox? and the tire size?)
Old 09-07-2006, 11:10 AM

Chefasaurus, for normal street driving for my Max, would you suggest the Hawk HPS or the EBC greenstuff pads? Thanks for your input.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Maximoneypit

I dont know why everyone hates on the Ultimates so much - they are a hybrid street/race pad which means they will dust and squeal some, thats just life. They have an operating temperature range as well which is why the initial pump of the break pedal doesnt feel like it grabs very well, but in my experience that second time you hit the brake pedal after the pads have had a chance to warm up some they just bite. I installed mine before I went to Deals Gap (which everyone should try at some point, google it) which entails 318 curves in 11 miles through the mountains. I beat on those brakes harder than 98% of people on this site ever will and they were amazing. Id never been able to keep up w/ the group otherwise. The point is youre going to have to sacrifice some noise and dust if you want a high performing brake pad. You can alleviate some of the noise with some anti-squeal solution sold at Autozone.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Maxima Owner

Porterfield R4-S or Hawk HPS or HP+
Old 09-07-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
Porterfield R4-S or Hawk HPS or HP+
The HPS is considered for street use... can't compare it to the R4-S or HP+.

I'm interested in the Green Stuff. Perhaps that'll be my next set.

cheeyo: I'm on R4-S right now. I work in Irvine, lemme kno if u wanna test drive my car. Also I suggest you visit Porterfield in person to ask the techs for more details on each pad. They carry a buncha diff brands, not just Porterfield. http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/ 1767 Placentia Ave Costa Mesa, CA 92627 (949) 548-4470 Don't forget to mention maxima.org to get the discount.

Jae
Old 09-08-2006, 01:12 AM
Fire in the hole!

Originally Posted by mindlessoath
what about those hawk blacks? you didnt explain those?
and i know they arnt on the max yet, but what about the Greenstuff pads? what experiance have you seen on your rx7?

(off topic : what tires and rim do you use on your max for autox? and the tire size?)

Hawk blacks are essentially pure race pads.

Greenstuff is GREAT for daily driving, but fades a bit during some strenuous/technical autoXes. Luckily, the autoXes here are fairly spread out, and designed more for the bigger car/high horsepower.

Tires: right now, stock SE-L wheels on Cooper Lifeliner 60K mile street tires (205/50/16). I'm trying to find another set of SE-L wheels, so I can mount a set of V710's (225/50/16) on them. Race rubber FTW.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Fire in the hole!

Originally Posted by cheeyo
Chefasaurus, for normal street driving for my Max, would you suggest the Hawk HPS or the EBC greenstuff pads? Thanks for your input.

Greenstuffs. I like them enough for me to order a set for my own car.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:26 AM

im used to wear - im used to the noise... i just dont want my rotors to be eaten up... i love the axxis ultimates and i do stress them as the guy above but i would hate to see what the rotors look like after i change the pads, well see. then i will likly swap to greenstuff, anyone have a price and a place to get them cheap?
Old 09-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Fire in the hole!

Tirerack has them for 73 bucks.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by mindlessoath
im used to wear - im used to the noise... i just dont want my rotors to be eaten up... i love the axxis ultimates and i do stress them as the guy above but i would hate to see what the rotors look like after i change the pads, well see. then i will likly swap to greenstuff, anyone have a price and a place to get them cheap?
In that case you don't want the HP+. They really wore my stock rotors. Plus they dusted a lot. As for noise, it's a low Hz groan, which I actually like cuz it's audible feedback in addition to tactile.
Jae