4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I must screw up something help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I must screw up something, HELP!!!

I just pulled out and re-greased my starter. After I re-greased it, I found some problems. I must screwed something. Help.

1) Before re-grease, the starter sounds like [start]-veee.
After my work, it sounds like [start]-slight clank 3~4 times. But it starts well.

ETA: this symptom looks like vanished.

2) Now when I steer left, I can hear clik-clik-clik-... from engine bay until I go back to straight at any speed no matter accelerate or not. There's no such noise while going straight or steering right.

Some notes:

1) When I disconnected the connector (E15), I found it is attached to some kind of metal bracelet. The E15 connector is right under the fat cable of starter. I can not get it off from the bracelet. So I pry it out then disconnect it. Now the E15 connector is not attached on the bracelet firmly. Could it cause problems (noises)?

2) I dsiassembled the starter throughly, including the shift lever set. I put them back with just common sense. If the starter works fine, is it possible that I assemble it wrongfully?

Or let me ask this way, what is the correct contact point of shift lever (plastic Y-shape piece) and the gears? I think it should contact the pinion shaft, because it states "high temp grease" at these two locations. And with other locations, I can not re-assemble the magnetic switch and gear box correctly.

3) When I loosen the major two bolts of starter, in order to access the shoter one, I pushed a metal bracelet up (above that bolt) a little bit and forgot to pull it back. Will it cause problems?

4) Is it possible that the gears of starter do not contact (engage) the big gear wheel (in the engine) correctly when I put the starter back? I assume it won't start if they do not engage correctly.

Please share your experiences, TIA.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:45 PM

It may still engage but it'll likely skip a bit, sounds to me like that 'bracelet' as you call it is loose, when you turn left the wheel goes toward the starter, if you have something loose its probably hitting something and bangin it around(tick, tick, tick). Does it make a noise when you are parked and turn the wheel left or right? check that everything is secure, turn the wheel all the way to the left and look under see if anything is hitting.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
It may still engage but it'll likely skip a bit, sounds to me like that 'bracelet' as you call it is loose, when you turn left the wheel goes toward the starter, if you have something loose its probably hitting something and bangin it around(tick, tick, tick). Does it make a noise when you are parked and turn the wheel left or right? check that everything is secure, turn the wheel all the way to the left and look under see if anything is hitting.

Sir, thanks for your response.

1) While stalling with engine on, I steer the weels to left, NO noise at all. At very low speed (such as on driveway or road side parking), there's NO tick-tick-tick.

2) Which "barcelet" are you referring to? The one that connector E15 attached to (bracelet is not loose, E15 is loose now) or the one I pushed up a little bit?

Regards,

svojs-DIY newbie
Old 09-03-2006, 05:34 PM

Any one? I'd arrpeciate for your comments.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:36 AM
I Broke OT

the ticking when turning may be due to your CV joints. chedk next to your frint wheels. there is a rubber boot on the CV joint that surrounds the pivot point in grease. this boot often wears down and breaks over time, grease leaks out and the joint dries up and get dirty. look to see if this boot is covered in grease. your wheel well area will be greasy as well.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
the ticking when turning may be due to your CV joints. chedk next to your frint wheels. there is a rubber boot on the CV joint that surrounds the pivot point in grease. this boot often wears down and breaks over time, grease leaks out and the joint dries up and get dirty. look to see if this boot is covered in grease. your wheel well area will be greasy as well.
But I did not touch CV boot/joint at this time. Before my re-grteasing starter, there's no such noise.

And I just had my CV boots replaced about 3k miles (4 months) before. Anyway, I will check it out.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:34 PM

make sure that when steering the cv shaft and steering linkages do not come in contact with anything, thats likely what it is from what youve told me. just go have a good look, maybe get someone to steer the vehicle to the left and right while parked, see if anything is touching.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:30 PM

Thanks!!! I have checked everything again. Everything is intact and on their position. I give it up. The CV shaft and steering linkage move freely without any suspecious thing. I will bring my Max to my mechanic tomorrow. I don't have that kind of time to spend.

There might be some other problems popping up.

THanks for your responses.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:15 AM

UPDATE:

My mech has checked the starter work I've done and CV joint/boot. bearing, trans-axis and steering system. No problem at all.

Eventually he found the bug. Guess what? It's from the Y-pipe. There's a flexible section of Y-pipe. It looks like braided metal mesh. While shaking this section, something is clanking inside. He said that the normal one should be quiet. There might be something broken in that section.

This would explain why the noise is kind of random. The noise happens when start cold, happens when steer to left, no matter how much I steer.

Dear 4th gen owners, has anyone had this problem ever? Please share your experience.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:04 AM
I Broke OT

get a new y-pipe. more power, cheaper than oem, and it's new and shiny. lssexhaust.com
Old 09-08-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
get a new y-pipe. more power, cheaper than oem, and it's new and shiny. lssexhaust.com
Mine is Cali model. WIll the new Y-pipe fit? Will it pass the F#%*ing Cali SMOG check? Will it consume more fuel?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:42 PM
SHIFT_up

^ Yes to all your questions.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:58 PM

Any idea about how bad the gas/mileage would be (with "performance" Y-pipe)? And will it be louder than stock one?

My mech is finding one through junk yards for me now.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:35 PM
SHIFT_up

It won't be to bad, but i noticed the difference the first week. It won't get any louder unless you change out most the exhuast i.e headers, cat, catback, along with the y-pipe. When i changed mine the most noticeable difference in sound was mainly in the cabin, it's more deep then what it was and it's sounds better imo.