4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

plz help with my rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 08:32 AM

i got rims a few weeks ago. i have had problems with them. first, when i go over like 40 my steering wheel shakes a bit. ok, so this sounds like a balancing problem. i will get that done asap. however, if i go over bumps or my car pulls to certain sides. again, this happens only when i go over bumps. i spoke to a mechanic and he said this is NOT an alignment problems which is what i thought it was. he says its because the whee's are a little wider. it does not seem right to drive like this. please help.
Old 06-26-2001, 09:44 AM
www.autotalk.com

looks like the prob i have with my car.. just got 18s.. there was no prob at all.. until i remember that i went over a pothole in downtown.. i am assuming the alignment got messed up or may be the balancing is out. i have 18*8s
Old 06-26-2001, 10:27 AM

not sure here
but maybe larger wheel/wider tire makes the car respond more to road irregularities?
Didn't you get the wheels balanced when you put on the new rims?
Old 06-26-2001, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by fast97maxse
not sure here
but maybe larger wheel/wider tire makes the car respond more to road irregularities?
Didn't you get the wheels balanced when you put on the new rims?

THE WHEELS were supposed to be balanced already. i will still balance them again very soon, but i doubt the 'pulling on bumps" problem will go away. what else can i do.....
Old 06-26-2001, 06:01 PM

well i also just put on new 17's and notice the shakies... the guys who sold me the rims said that this sometimes happens and that you will need a computerized alignment... i assume when they balanced the rims that they kept the weights to the inside to keep nice appearance but i think in order to get a better/high speed balance, you need to have some countering weights on the outside. dont take this as the ultimate truth though... i am just repeating what i am told. makes sense though.
Old 06-26-2001, 06:10 PM

Larger wheels follow the ruts on the road, its a price of doing business.
Old 06-26-2001, 07:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by medicsonic
Larger wheels follow the ruts on the road, its a price of doing business.
I was just about to say that. Wider tires will grab the road more than your smaller stock wheels did. That's what steering stabilizers can help with but too bad there aren't any for the Max. It could be done tho.
Old 06-26-2001, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by deezo

I was just about to say that. Wider tires will grab the road more than your smaller stock wheels did. That's what steering stabilizers can help with but too bad there aren't any for the Max. It could be done tho.

so youre telling me this is normal. if im on a bumpy road just hold on to the steering wheel tighter??? if so im cool, just so i know many other ppl out there are having the same problem. just let me know. thanks.
Old 06-27-2001, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by riggy

so youre telling me this is normal. if im on a bumpy road just hold on to the steering wheel tighter??? if so im cool, just so i know many other ppl out there are having the same problem. just let me know. thanks.

I personally don't have wide tires on my Max but when going over ruts in the road, I have that problem also. I really don't see it as a problem. Just take your car to a nice level road. Drive along at about 30 and release your steering wheel. If it veers to the left or right, the wheels may be out of align. Remember, you need to be on a level part of the road your testing on.

Like I was saying earlier, the stablizer bar can help but it will really go away fully.
Old 06-27-2001, 06:26 AM

I personally don't have wide tires on my Max but when going over ruts in the road, I have that problem also. I really don't see it as a problem. Just take your car to a nice level road. Drive along at about 30 and release your steering wheel. If it veers to the left or right, the wheels may be out of align. Remember, you need to be on a level part of the road your testing on.

Like I was saying earlier, the stablizer bar can help but it will really go away fully.
What is a stabilizer bar?
I presume you don't mean the FTSB or RTSB
as you said they don't make them for the Max?

Also, I just ordered wheels from Tire Rack
they should arrive by the end of the week.
They are supposed to come mounted & balanced.
Will I need to get them rebalanced anyway?

Also getting H&R springs.
I know [from this wonderful forum] that I'll need to get an alignment.
And that only the Fronts can really be adjusted...
but should I have the rears checked anyway,
just to make sure they are still w/in spec?
Old 06-27-2001, 06:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fast97maxse

What is a stabilizer bar?
I presume you don't mean the FTSB or RTSB
as you said they don't make them for the Max?
It's called a Steering Stablizer. It's a shock absorber that connects your steering to your chassis. It is made to reduce shock to your steering gearbox and other steering components.

Also, I just ordered wheels from Tire Rack
they should arrive by the end of the week.
They are supposed to come mounted & balanced.
Will I need to get them rebalanced anyway?[/B]
You shouldn't need a rebalance. I trust that they are using the correct balancing equipment.

Also getting H&R springs.
I know [from this wonderful forum] that I'll need to get an alignment.
And that only the Fronts can really be adjusted...
but should I have the rears checked anyway,
just to make sure they are still w/in spec? [/B]
I am not sure on this question. I know that most people that have dropped their rides didn't need alignments. I think it all depend on how much of a drop you are making.
Old 06-27-2001, 09:26 AM

Wheels

Folks:

I just moved from the stock 16x6.5 running stock tires to 16x7.5 with 225/50-16's and I notice that I can feel road irregularities much more now. I was told by the tire shop that this is normal as there is a wider contact patch, better tires that grip more etc. I just have to hold the steering a little harder when going over bumpy roads .. but other than that everything is better than before. Hope this helps. You are not alone .........
Old 06-27-2001, 09:57 AM

It's called a Steering Stablizer.

You shouldn't need a rebalance. I trust that they are using the correct balancing equipment.

I am not sure on this question. I know that most people that have dropped their rides didn't need alignments. I think it all depend on how much of a drop you are making.
thanks 4 the pict
can't imagine the Max would need something like that.

Yeah, I think TR has a good rep. it should all be OK.

I dunno, I've read in the forum that you should.
The H&R springs give about a 1.5" drop
and that can throw the alignment off a bit.
And with new wheels/tires as well, I don't think it would hurt.
Just to protect the investment in tires even.
I wonder about the back though as it can't be adjusted
except marginally
Old 06-27-2001, 10:25 AM

Re: Wheels

Originally posted by MAX99SE
Folks:

I just moved from the stock 16x6.5 running stock tires to 16x7.5 with 225/50-16's and I notice that I can feel road irregularities much more now. I was told by the tire shop that this is normal as there is a wider contact patch, better tires that grip more etc. I just have to hold the steering a little harder when going over bumpy roads .. but other than that everything is better than before. Hope this helps. You are not alone .........

perfect. thanks to everyone who responded. i will do the alighment test to see if i need one. now only if i could find a descent road in NJ. take care. later.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:13 AM

Re: Re: Wheels

Originally posted by riggy

perfect. thanks to everyone who responded. i will do the alighment test to see if i need one. now only if i could find a descent road in NJ. take care. later.
What road could be better than the NJ Turnpike?