4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Squeeeeeeellllllll compressor Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:06 PM

Squeeeeeeellllllll compressor Clutch

OK,

So I have this Squeeeelllllling sound coming from under my hood. I took it to my mechanic, and he said it was the idler pully gone bad! Fine said it would cost like $100 to fix parts and labor. Brought it in today to have it fixed, and he calls and says its not idler pully its compressor clutch!!!!!

Firs he cant find one, Then only if he buys it with a compressor for like $500 nevermind Labor , Then when I go to pick it up he says he found a clutch, but its $500 by it self, and he would prob have to discharge the compressor to install it anyway, so i might as well replace both!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does this sound legit, of is he trying to screw me?

Oh, if you happen to have a good clutch for sale let me know!!!
or if you know where to get one at a deal!!!!!

I am getting mad, cuz he said I migt get 6 months with it bad, but I would have to deal with the Squeeeellllllling or it could sieze up tomrow, so i have to do something soon!!!!

Thanks for any help
Dave
Old 09-08-2006, 04:36 PM

HAd the same problem I found an ENTIRE AC COMPRESSOR for $100 shipped on ebay. Been running for 2 years now with no problem. Your mechanic is trying to rob you. Sorry to say it. The only thing is that each compressor fits a specific model maxima, its all based on the production date of YOUR car. Shop on ebay .....email some sellers and ask them if it will fit...make sure you know your production date. Hope that helps.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:44 PM

rip off isnt even the word. just get a rebuilt compressor from your local parts store and NEVER EVER go to that guy again. as long as its a 4th gen the compressor should be the same.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:50 PM

Thanks, Anyone got a Clutch they wana unload?

Oh, do I need to discharge the compressor to install the new clutch?

Thanks
Dave
Old 09-08-2006, 08:43 PM

yea only because you have to take the compressor out. you always have to discharge when you open an A/C line . your better off just replacing the compressor. new compressors come with clutch and pulley all in one unit. actually i doubt its the clutch. if it was the clutch it would only squeel when the a/c is on. when the a/c is off the clutch is stationary. it could just be a loose belt. try tightening all your belts and see if it goes away. if it doesnt take off one belt and start your car. if the noise is still there you know its one of the next 2 belts. then take off the next belt and do the same. once you figure which belt it is you can narrow it down to 1 or 2 pulleys.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:44 PM

also check your belts for dry rot and cracks
Old 09-15-2006, 04:47 AM

bought a compressor for $40 shipped on E-Bay I Think I will have them install the clutch only, If it is not the clutch then we will go from there

Also the noise does change when the clutch is on or off. It does not stop, but it changes...

???
Old 09-15-2006, 06:31 AM

Change the ENTIRE compressor...trust me, your better off....as JAson said the clutch isnt bad. I say its the bearing behind the pully......whats the point of changing the clutch if you bought a whole compressor that works? Empty your a/c line....drop the compressor (it only has like 3 bolts) but the new one in....charge ur a/c up and be happy. Save time and $
Old 09-15-2006, 12:12 PM

I agree with jasonv and badcooliebwoy. Your machanic isn't really telling you wrong info tho. Not sure bout the prices he gave but the clutch and pulley is expensive if you buy them seperately. It's how the retailers do it to make you buy the whole compressor(which you should probably do anyway). The worn bearings in the pulley would cause it to go bad and slip, making your belt scream. But if thats the case your compressor is probably not to far behind and will give out soon. Just replace the whole thing if that's the case. But check that belt tension first! Might be a quick fix to your problem.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It could go at any time and eat your belt leaving you without the use of the alternator. I've never heard of someone replacing just the clutch. I wouldn't go on any long trips until you fix it.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:46 PM

I replaced just the clutch with the bearing about 2yrs ago and have never had a problem. I didnt even disconnect my ac lines,I just loosened the compressor and swung it to the side a little to get some room and slack and did all the work. My old pulley got so bad it stopped and smoke was coming from the belt cause it was burning. I use my ac everyday here in west tx.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by tlrmax
I replaced just the clutch with the bearing about 2yrs ago and have never had a problem. I didnt even disconnect my ac lines,I just loosened the compressor and swung it to the side a little to get some room and slack and did all the work. My old pulley got so bad it stopped and smoke was coming from the belt cause it was burning. I use my ac everyday here in west tx.
Where did you get a bearing and clutch from? I've never seen them for sale individually.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by crazy97
Where did you get a bearing and clutch from? I've never seen them for sale individually.
Didnt I bought a used compressor and took the parts off. It was cheaper in labor cause I didnt have to drain AC.