4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what can go on the steering wheel, opposite of the cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 10:35 AM

what can go on the steering wheel, opposite of the cruise control? There is a removable cover there, which, upon removal, exposes some kind of a harness that has holes for the bolts, as if one could attach something there (just like cruise control is attached on the right side).
Does anyone know what goes there?

Thanks
Roman
Old 06-26-2001, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Roman-dude
what can go on the steering wheel, opposite of the cruise control? There is a removable cover there, which, upon removal, exposes some kind of a harness that has holes for the bolts, as if one could attach something there (just like cruise control is attached on the right side).
Does anyone know what goes there?

Thanks
Roman
Remember that the Infiniti I30 is a Maxima with fancier trim and some added "bells and whistles". Look at an I30 steering wheel. You might find some radio controls at that location.

I've fantasized that "Steptronic-style" automatic transmission controls could be fitted there.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:55 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
Remember that the Infiniti I30 is a Maxima with fancier trim and some added "bells and whistles". Look at an I30 steering wheel. You might find some radio controls at that location.

I've fantasized that "Steptronic-style" automatic transmission controls could be fitted there.
I know for sure that the Q45 (98 and 99 models; not sure about the '00 and up as they went to a wood/leather steering wheel) models used this steering wheel and that blank area was for radio controls. You can buy this pod at Infiniti of Scottsdale (in Arizona; ask for T.J. in parts). It may have a harness, but I would doubt there is any wiring that goes anywhere. You could be industrious and do anything you wanted with that pod, which has 3 buttons and looks just like the cruise control pod........the rest is up to your imagination.
Old 06-26-2001, 12:02 PM

just what I thought

I thought it was for the radio controls, but wanted to make sure. I was actually thinking that that was an option that my Max did not have. I guess not. Where could I find out if it's prewired?

Thanks
Roman
Old 06-26-2001, 12:13 PM

Re: just what I thought

Originally posted by Roman-dude

I thought it was for the radio controls, but wanted to make sure. I was actually thinking that that was an option that my Max did not have. I guess not. Where could I find out if it's prewired?

Thanks
Roman
Is there an Infiniti dealer in your town? Go there. Ask which man is their lead technician, get an introduction, and treat him to lunch.
Old 06-26-2001, 01:05 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: just what I thought

Is there an Infiniti dealer in your town? Go there. Ask which man is their lead technician, get an introduction, and treat him to lunch.
In addition, Jambo (yes, our own administrator) has researched this to some extent. You may want to PM or e-mail him and inquire about his findings.....