4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MEVI+CAI are in :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

MEVI+CAI are in :)

The manifold as we know is a direct swap. I already have just about nothing on my IM anyhow so that was cake taking it off. The only trouble I had was getting the gasket on the EGR gide tube. I ended up cutting slots in the gasket so it would slip on when the bolts are started. I made my own vacumm reservoir, or canister as most call it, out of PVC. I actually bought a 10' section and only needed 4.5". Cost for the tank is less than $6. I had the EVAP (black) solenoid from another Nissan along with vac hoses, a vac tee and a check valve. After running the wires though the fire wall I tapped power off the cig lighter as usual. Lucky for me I already had wires there from an old accessory. Since I have a 98 there is no TAM screw, so I tapped off the tach wire on the ECU, pin 5 white with a green stripe IIRC. I also wired up an activation LED. Its actually the security light so it looks stock.

I also added the long tube off a PR style CAI. I kept the stock resonator because dynos have shown losses with mid pipes. I cut a rectangular hole in the fender well since a 3" hole saw is $30+. It fits well with the K&N filter Im running. I dont have fogs any more so this setup is actually perfect IMO.

I cant say enough about this setup. I plan on dynoing and getting some track time this month. I may finally beat my 14.9, which I have been stuck at for quite some time. I love the top end I cant get enough of it. Also even though Im using an intake its still very quiet compared to the USIM and a short ram or POP charger roar Im familar with. My G/F said it sounds like the Maxima CVT commercial now. It made me chuckle.

Any way, pics will come soon. I have to admit the VI looks rather sharp with the cover on it.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Maxima Owner

what nissan did u get the EVAP solenoid from....i want to know so when i do mine i can get a nissan part.......what RPM switch are u using
Old 09-09-2006, 06:38 PM
Armed and Dangerous

Good job. Enjoy!
Old 09-09-2006, 06:41 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

Congratulations on your new set-up,

can't wait to see pics of your newest mod
Old 09-09-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The solenoid is just like the ones in the car that run the evap/egr/map stuff. I got this perticular one from a 99 G20 so it has the 99 style locking plug. Zack342 has pics up somewhere of his setup using the green EGR solenoid.
I have an extra brown solenoid with plug if you need it. I have the Summit RPM switch set at 2800 IIRC, and it comes on at 5000 rpms. Generally 5000 to 5200 is the perfect switch over point.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good job man.

You coulda just went to Napa and spent <$10 on a vaccum canister. If its worth saving $4 to go through all that hassle and BS to build one, then so be it. The one from Napa is nice and slim and looks good as well.

-matt
Old 09-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Bacon Lover

Gahh...now you have me itching to get my 00VI installed even more
Old 09-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Ichiban King

ya know I read that whole thing and instead of congratulating Sutter which I am, good job budd.. I saw the part about losing that some of that explicit roar that irradiates from under the hood.

I used to joke that the intake was such a better sound that my cattman could never hope contend with, about $800 later.

But let us know J. how the next run at the track goes. btw how are the GC's treating ya?..
Old 09-10-2006, 05:54 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by matty
Good job man.

You coulda just went to Napa and spent <$10 on a vaccum canister. If its worth saving $4 to go through all that hassle and BS to build one, then so be it. The one from Napa is nice and slim and looks good as well.

-matt
If I knew it was that cheap I probably would have gotten one. I thought they were like $30. It took me 10 minutes to make it, and it wont implode like the weak napa one. Plus it was really fun actually, I never got to prime and glue PVC before. Ill post pix of it, its not bad looking at all.

I didnt get an 00vi because its a lot more work to install. Bolting on this manifold is so easy. No wiring injectors, or flipping and drilling LIM, grinding VC's, ect. Oh and I really dont like the fact that 00vi's power valve has reliability issues.

I like the sound, reminds me of Steve's (Y2KSESteve) video clips. Those made me drool, CAI+MEVI+Cattman full exhaust. Its smoother as many have said, but the CAI does affect it too. I cant really explain it.

The coilovers are good, can say enough about them and the Konis.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by JSutter
If I knew it was that cheap I probably would have gotten one. I thought they were like $30. It took me 10 minutes to make it, and it wont implode like the weak napa one. Plus it was really fun actually, I never got to prime and glue PVC before. Ill post pix of it, its not bad looking at all.

I didnt get an 00vi because its a lot more work to install. Bolting on this manifold is so easy. No wiring injectors, or flipping and drilling LIM, grinding VC's, ect. Oh and I really dont like the fact that 00vi's power valve has reliability issues.

I like the sound, reminds me of Steve's (Y2KSESteve) video clips. Those made me drool, CAI+MEVI+Cattman full exhaust. Its smoother as many have said, but the CAI does affect it too. I cant really explain it.

The coilovers are good, can say enough about them and the Konis.
word thats my main reason for doing the MEVI over 00VI...i am not building a drag racer so its no that big of a deal......its somethign i can do in a weekend without a problem...although i will prolly just buy the nissan canister
Old 09-10-2006, 08:04 AM

Cheap bastard...I will get you a nissan Vac canister.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by MaximaSE96
word thats my main reason for doing the MEVI over 00VI...i am not building a drag racer so its no that big of a deal......its somethign i can do in a weekend without a problem...although i will prolly just buy the nissan canister
I want something a bit easier that sees decent gains and I think the MEVI will do that nicely. I used to think the end didnt justify the means because of having to re-flash the ECU to see the gains up real high. As far as im concerned though I just want the power steady to when I hit near the stock limiter.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:08 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

You all suck LOL.
The can is no big deal and its been used a million times in the past. Youre just jelouse I made something on my own :P
Old 09-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Ichiban King

You all suck LOL.
The can is no big deal and its been used a million times in the past. Youre just jelouse I made something on my own :P
.. (sigh) you're right I find myself strangely aroused by the fact that you made your own vac canister, I mean what else can you do.. GC's, SE-R turbo, whats next.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:58 AM

I love my MEVI too. I think it's alot more practical than the 00VI. for a while everyone was saying they were gonna get the 00VI and most of them didn't even know what it was.lol.

After I added the JWT ECU my car was ALOT faster, lots more topend!
Old 09-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Silver Tooth S2K 9k FTMFW

any pics??
Old 09-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by 95 maxima se
any pics??
seen it once, seen it all..
Old 09-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Project Ruby......

Congrats man!

Curious where did you purchase your MEVI? Courtesyparts?

You planning on a JWT or TS to go along with the MEVI?

Congrats again, wish I had some top end to go along with my low/mid range.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Pix are comming, I dont have a camera at this time.

Originally Posted by Apparition
.. (sigh) you're right I find myself strangely aroused by the fact that you made your own vac canister, I mean what else can you do.. GC's, SE-R turbo, whats next.
Rear fog light, boared MAF, all vac lines and solenoids rerouted, 9007's, custom RSTB, b14 rear struts, B13 cat, black headliner, my cars got all kinds of wierd parts/things done to it that are out of the ordinary.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:27 AM
Ichiban King

Pix are comming, I dont have a camera at this time.

Rear fog light, boared MAF, all vac lines and solenoids rerouted, 9007's, custom RSTB, b14 rear struts, B13 cat, black headliner, my cars got all kinds of wierd parts/things done to it that are out of the ordinary.
damn sutter at least you're not going to the HID evil.. the rear fog like had me like "wtf." the struts you told me about. but the vac lines and solenoids rerouted? hmm..
Old 09-10-2006, 12:14 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by 4DRSpeed
Congrats man!

Curious where did you purchase your MEVI? Courtesyparts?

You planning on a JWT or TS to go along with the MEVI?

Congrats again, wish I had some top end to go along with my low/mid range.
I got it used from an Org member. I cant justify spending $500+ on an ecu upgrade. Id rather get something I can tune with myself.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

My vac lines and solenoid:

With the cover on:

Lower CAI tube:

And another:

Last edited by JSutter; 08-15-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Ichiban King

My vac can:

My vac lines and solenoid:

With the cover on:

Lower CAI tube:

And another:
a few questions.. how hard was it to spray all those tanks black? what is the module cut into your radiator hose?..
Old 09-10-2006, 01:19 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

its just spray paint so it took a few coats and about 20 minutes to dry. That is the fitting I made for my temp sensor, for the aftermarket temp gauge.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:24 PM

those 2 tanks are simple stuff just remove and spray i guess. all the items are just little minor caps and stuff.

how did you route your fusible links off the postive cabl.e
Old 09-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Ichiban King

its just spray paint so it took a few coats and about 20 minutes to dry. That is the fitting I made for my temp sensor, for the aftermarket temp gauge.
right on, I guess I needed to clarify my initial question. did you take the tanks out to spray?..
Old 09-10-2006, 01:29 PM

that coolant one should pull right out.. just overflow tan k
Old 09-10-2006, 01:44 PM

Its always been my understanding that a MEVI without an ECU will make you lose a bunch of low/mid range power, while adding some on top end, is this true with your setup? I really want an 00vi because of gains across the intire power band, but the install seems like it may give some problems, and i'll go with a MEVI if i don't lose too much low/mid range power. Can't afford an ECU and will never be able to afford one, so thats out of the question.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Maxima Owner

jsut for ****s and giggle....where did u tee of for vacuum
Old 09-10-2006, 04:59 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by TurTLe*

how did you route your fusible links off the postive cabl.e
I cut the plugs off and crimped on ring terminals, I kept the stock wiring other wise.

The coolant tank slides up and out, the weasle **** filler neck pulls up too. Pretty simple.

MEVI has shown a loss on almost all dynos. My butt dyno says so what. The car still pulls hard till 5k and then shoots off like a rocket. There is no noticeable loss, there could be, I dont feel it. The work to install an 00vi on a DE is not worth it over an MEVI, Id rather install the whole engine. For N/A it only puts down marginal gains.

Vacuum is tee'd off the smaller nipple near the IACV. It also goes to the FRP and emmissions solenoids. I want to get a vacuum manifold so each device has its own source. I got rid of the vacuum gallery a while back too BTW.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:04 PM

I cut the plugs off and crimped on ring terminals, I kept the stock wiring other wise.

whenever you get a chance can you please, take a close up shot of the wiring. I had my postive terminal on the battery leak and rust out the whole terminal i just grabed a quick replacement and bolted it on the fusible link and its just a temp fix and i'm not sure which way i want to fix things. I've just been looking up maxima's with audio equpiment to see what terminals and what they done to it.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The starter wire (big one) goes into the new terminal. The 2 smaller wires with fuseable links (which go to the fuse box) are crimped onto 1 ring terminal together. I have an amp and sub, thats the other bigger wire (in loom) with a ring terminal. Finally the smallest one is to my headlights, again with a ring terminal.

Last edited by JSutter; 08-15-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:34 PM

ok understood, so did you elimated the whole fusible links since i dont see that fuse at all. Just cut after the link and connect it directly to the battery?
Old 09-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Bacon Lover

The work to install an 00vi on a DE is not worth it over an MEVI
That's your opinion. Especially for those not mechanically inclined, I admit, it's going to be a huge chore. I obviously think it's worth it though, as you can see. My case is more that my car doubles as both my fun car and my daily driver, whereas you have a turbo Sentra to play with. If I was in your situation I might have chosen MEVI, too.

EDIT: It's been brought to my attention that my post comes off as me sort of saying you're not mechanically inclined. That isn't what I intended it to mean, I know you're definitely mechanically inclined
Old 09-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Tatanko
That's your opinion. Especially for those not mechanically inclined, I admit, it's going to be a huge chore. I obviously think it's worth it though, as you can see. My case is more that my car doubles as both my fun car and my daily driver, whereas you have a turbo Sentra to play with. If I was in your situation I might have chosen MEVI, too.

EDIT: It's been brought to my attention that my post comes off as me sort of saying you're not mechanically inclined. That isn't what I intended it to mean, I know you're definitely mechanically inclined

ROFLcopter.. I'd rather spend $6-800 on a lower mileage DE-K, agreed. 00vi on a DE just seems pretty dumb to me now that I know all thats involved due to Tatanko enlightening me on the subject.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:52 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I know what you mean Tatanko. It makes more power but only marginally compared to the work involved. Maybe some day it will become a true bolt on.

Originally Posted by TurTLe*
ok understood, so did you elimated the whole fusible links since i dont see that fuse at all. Just cut after the link and connect it directly to the battery?
the links are still in place.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:56 AM
Maxima Owner

u have insipred me to redo my battery terminals....I want to be just like you .....do u have a grounding kit too
Old 09-11-2006, 06:37 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Yea you cant see the red wires?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:50 AM

homemade vacuum can ftw!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Maxima Owner

Yea you cant see the red wires?

justr making sure...they couls have been for ur made sweet system yo!!!....u have PM FROM ME