4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can I short out my Climate Controls? Did I? Changed LEDs.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 05:21 PM

Can I short out my Climate Controls? Did I? Changed LEDs.

I went inside my climate control module, and changed the nonworking LEDs to white. Only thing is... with my Noob self ... I apparently didnt push the LEDs in as far as possible. I turned the ignition on, and I smelled the smoke burning. The positive and ground sides must have smashed together when I pushed the circuitry back into the casing (very troublesome).

Thing is, now when I change my vents from the 5 choices the air comes from:
1. front
2. front and below.
3. below.
4. below + defrost
5. Defrost

It feels like the air is only coming from #1: front. I can hear something happening, when i press the diffrent buttons, as if a vent is openning, but I dont feel the air. I CANT feel the air from below, or from the defrost. Am I losing it? It this possible?

Now part 2 is I changed my Climate controls considering the last ones were jacked up any way. But I still have this problem.

Final questions:
IF something DID short due to changing the LEDs, could the short be OUTSIDE of the climate control module?
OR, would the short HAVE to be inside of the climate control module?
Whats the worse that COULD HAVE happened?
Or, Do I have a diffferent problem altogether that I somehow never noticed?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:09 PM

you my friend have a vacuum leak. try checking the vacuum lines going into the firewall.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:50 PM

ok, so im ruling aout that i could have shorted something. Its a mechanical problem then. Ill look at those vacuum lines.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by da God
ok, so im ruling aout that i could have shorted something. Its a mechanical problem then. Ill look at those vacuum lines.
yes you are right, but i wouldnt really call it mechanical.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:20 PM
Black Lion

Originally Posted by da God
I went inside my climate control module, and changed the nonworking LEDs to white. Only thing is... with my Noob self ... I apparently didnt push the LEDs in as far as possible. I turned the ignition on, and I smelled the smoke burning. The positive and ground sides must have smashed together when I pushed the circuitry back into the casing (very troublesome).

Thing is, now when I change my vents from the 5 choices the air comes from:
1. front
2. front and below.
3. below.
4. below + defrost
5. Defrost

It feels like the air is only coming from #1: front. I can hear something happening, when i press the diffrent buttons, as if a vent is openning, but I dont feel the air. I CANT feel the air from below, or from the defrost. Am I losing it? It this possible?

Now part 2 is I changed my Climate controls considering the last ones were jacked up any way. But I still have this problem.

Final questions:
IF something DID short due to changing the LEDs, could the short be OUTSIDE of the climate control module?
OR, would the short HAVE to be inside of the climate control module?
Whats the worse that COULD HAVE happened?
Or, Do I have a diffferent problem altogether that I somehow never noticed?
for the leds i had the same problem i put it all back together and smelled something burned. it just so happened that the resistor touch the other lead causing a burned out led. Just replace the ones that dont work make sure you electrical tape eveything well and that nothing touches when you put it all back together. you should be fine .
Old 09-15-2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by maxprivate
for the leds i had the same problem i put it all back together and smelled something burned. it just so happened that the resistor touch the other lead causing a burned out led. Just replace the ones that dont work make sure you electrical tape eveything well and that nothing touches when you put it all back together. you should be fine .
I DIDnt REALIZE the electrical tape's purpose was to prevent the lead and reisistor from touching at all costs. I was sitting there trying to keep them seperated with the tweezer.Learned my lesson that day.

but wait a minute... After my LEDs burned, I tried to use a new one. It didnt work. So i figured, I shorted the circuitry or something. YOur saying that even if the LEDs burn out, I can use another?? Im pretty sure the "how to guide" said otherwise, but ill check. that the only thing that could happen is the LED go bad?? im not too sure.

appreciated

Im gonna have my friend (mechanic) look at the air problem, Including checking the vacuum. thanx.