4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Worrying Noise *Vid*

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:20 PM

Worrying Noise *Vid*

Every once in a while I hear this noise coming from where my pedals are. The noise is really hard to listen to because it sounds like grinding or something where it can really hurt the engine. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be?

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...=Resonance.flv
Old 09-14-2006, 08:24 PM

its the starter.. get it regreased.. or some exhaust component rattling..
Old 09-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by f550maranello2
its the starter.. get it regreased.. or some exhaust component rattling..
The cars running man. The starter isnt doing anything

Sounds like an vibrating maybe from the exhaust.

-matt
Old 09-14-2006, 08:31 PM

oh really... too bad that there is a pinion gear turning on the flywheel while the car is running... and it makes the same sound when there is no grease behind it..

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/516
Old 09-15-2006, 06:51 AM

oh really... too bad that there is a pinion gear turning on the flywheel while the car is running... and it makes the same sound when there is no grease behind it..

Thanks, I'll try that when I get a chance.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:16 AM

yeah, it could be the starter...but I'm going to put my money on a piece of the exhaust being loose. Sounds just like exhaust rattle...makes sense too, you give it some gas, then when RPM's start to fall, you get the noise again.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:55 AM

noooooo the starter does NOT ride the flywheel teeth, or even spin, except when starting. when you turn the key forward, the starter solenoid kicks the starter gear over so it contacts the flywheel ring gear, THEN spins the flywheel and retracts to keep from touching the flywheel
Old 09-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Maxima Owner

BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRN!!!!!! ^^^^ your right...the only time starter moves is on starting...
Old 09-15-2006, 03:21 PM

most of them have a helical shaft that the pinion gear rides on. Centripetal force throws the pinion to the end where it meshes with the flywheel. Then when it stops, it rides back down the shaft.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Ichiban King

holy.. thats the sounds mine makes too.. Maxima SE 96 thats the noise mine makes. then it goes away after the car is warm.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:17 PM
SLOW

No, it doesn't. There is no contact between the starter gear and the flywheel except when the starter is actually engaged i.e. you have the key in the "start" position.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:49 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
No, it doesn't. There is no contact between the starter gear and the flywheel except when the starter is actually engaged i.e. you have the key in the "start" position.
any ideas what the problem may be Neal?..
Old 09-15-2006, 06:33 PM
MaximaDriver

did you try open your hood and listen??
Old 09-15-2006, 07:37 PM
sunten1

"Hello, my name is Black Maxima. I am banned until tomorrow so I'm having sunten1 post this for me. I think I have the same problem as LTU_max, it sounds very familiar. After I start my car I hear a whistling/whirling noise coming from the dashboard/firewall area. It's loud and annoying. I cannot tell what is making the noise when I open the hood. The noise still continues after I turn off the air conditioning. If I rev up the engine it still does it. I also notice it at stop lights.

Today, I decided to try to re-grease the starter because of the previous posts. I failed horribly. I couldn't get the starter back together. I ended up buying a starter at AutoZone. I would recommend the starters from AutoZone because they have a lifetime warranty. I still have the problem even after buying a new starter.

I don't know what could be causing the noise. It's been doing it since I got the car over two years ago. It might not do it on very hot days. I only notice it when the engine is cold, or when it's raining. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks,
Aaron"

Old 09-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by sunten1
"Hello, my name is Black Maxima. I am banned until tomorrow so I'm having sunten1 post this for me. I think I have the same problem as LTU_max, it sounds very familiar. After I start my car I hear a whistling/whirling noise coming from the dashboard/firewall area. It's loud and annoying. I cannot tell what is making the noise when I open the hood. The noise still continues after I turn off the air conditioning. If I rev up the engine it still does it. I also notice it at stop lights.

Today, I decided to try to re-grease the starter because of the previous posts. I failed horribly. I couldn't get the starter back together. I ended up buying a starter at AutoZone. I would recommend the starters from AutoZone because they have a lifetime warranty. I still have the problem even after buying a new starter.

I don't know what could be causing the noise. It's been doing it since I got the car over two years ago. It might not do it on very hot days. I only notice it when the engine is cold, or when it's raining. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks,
Aaron"
yup thats it man.. well you've had it two years, well I'm going to assume then that it's not vital int he least to the cars operation, rather a huge annoyance. I checked everything out under the hood, engine mounts, pulleys, alty, I mean even ridiculous things, inconclusive..

I really am starting think it's something forward exhaust related, or in that general region because it seems to be coming from the firewall area behind the pedals.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:52 PM
SLOW

I just cranked my volume up all the way on my laptop and could barely hear that video, the only thing I think I heard sounded like rattling exhaust heat shields to me... Those things are all over the place on this car and th little 10mm bolts that hold them on rust away and break, letting them rattle around quite often. That's the only thing I thought I heard.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
I just cranked my volume up all the way on my laptop and could barely hear that video, the only thing I think I heard sounded like rattling exhaust heat shields to me... Those things are all over the place on this car and th little 10mm bolts that hold them on rust away and break, letting them rattle around quite often. That's the only thing I thought I heard.
hmm..

(haha random though btw.. you at the track, laptop in car, typing this comment before you take a run in the 1/4.)
Old 09-16-2006, 06:23 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

you have no idea what your saying take a basic auto mechanics course please.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:19 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

I regreased the starter in my car about 2 years ago. The problem I was having was the starter woudn't engage with the flywheel and instead would make that same grinding noise you get when you accidentally try to start a car that is already running.

Sounds like something big that is in contact with the exhaust. The sound is a little too deep for a heat shield (which is usually a tinny sound). I would check the exhaust from front to back and make sure it's not touching up against anything.

The sound is low pitched and muffled. Sounds like it's touching a large piece of metal that is damped by something. Possibly touching the floor pan??
Old 09-16-2006, 01:49 PM

Also when I hear the sound, my gas pedal seems to vibrate with it.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by LTU_max
Also when I hear the sound, my gas pedal seems to vibrate with it.
yeah we share that terrible vibration..
Old 09-16-2006, 05:15 PM
Black Maxima

Yea, I think my pedal vibrates too.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

That noise is coming from the tranny. It's a dry bearing spinning.
Release bearing, input shaft bearing, clutch assembly, something in there.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
well.. it only does it around 1k until the car warms up.. I thought a bearing would constantly groan or w/e.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:52 PM
Black Maxima

What about with an automatic transmission?

Old 09-16-2006, 09:06 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
If it's a stick then trypushing the clutch in a tiny bit, see if the noise goes away.

I had a bad input shaft bearing that was noisy when the trans was in neutral and my foot was off the clutch. Pressing the clutch pedal in a little put enough side-load on the shaft that it didn't rattle any more.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Black Maxima
What about with an automatic transmission?
(GASP) Black Maxima..
Old 09-17-2006, 06:40 AM
Black Maxima

So maybe it's not the same noise? It does sound pretty similar to mine.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I also have this same groaning noise on my 96 automatic. It started about 2 years ago, but it goes away after the engine warms up. I have never been able to track it down, but I haven't noticed any other adverse problems related to it. I would sure love to know what is causing it.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Ichiban King

Okay so we can pretty much conclude its something retarded causing it.. not something vital. So, I think that I may just say screw it and wait until something happens, which it sounds like it never will.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:11 PM

same thing on a '97 GLE

I'm getting the same noise on my '97 (AUTO). I tried listening to it with an open hood, and i can't figure out where it's coming from. It happens only on a cold start after the car has been sitting outside overnight. It usually goes away after it gets to 1,000rpm. I just let it idle for like a minute and just start driving.
Old 09-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Ichiban King

well seeing as you AT guys are having the same problem.. I'm going to assume its more somethign we have in common which is obvious. Something exhaust or mount related..possibly.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:12 PM

WHAT THE GAY!!!!! I DIDNT WRITE THAT GARBAGE, MAN WTF!!!
Danny u bastard, i catch you again using my screen name im gonna stab you...

How the crap is a starter gonna gear gonna spin while the flywheel is turning, that gear would be spinning at like 30k rpm!!!
Old 09-18-2006, 06:56 AM

Can anybody shed some light on this issue? It's really annoing hearing that whine every morning
Old 09-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Donating i30 Owner

WHAT THE GAY!!!!! I DIDNT WRITE THAT GARBAGE, MAN WTF!!!
Danny u bastard, i catch you again using my screen name im gonna stab you...

How the crap is a starter gonna gear gonna spin while the flywheel is turning, that gear would be spinning at like 30k rpm!!!

AHHH HUH...
Old 09-20-2006, 01:33 PM

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 09-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Black Maxima

Yea, I need to know what this is. Maybe this weekend I will take another video of it.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:55 PM

go ahead dude, maybe we can figure this out.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:40 PM

Could anybody shed some light on this issue?
Old 09-30-2006, 09:09 PM
Black Maxima

Bump!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Worrying Noise *Vid*