4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

iridium plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 03:28 PM

iridium plugs

anybody running iridium plugs? what are the pros/cons? i am contemplating the idea i just need more info. ive heard alot of hype about the ngk's (or was it denso?) whats the best brand?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:46 PM

You are going to get flamed big time I am sure. You should only run NGK plugs. I believe iridiums are more suited to boosted applications.

The majority of members run either the NGK OEM laser platinums (PFR 5G-11) or NGK coppers (BKR 5E-11). The coppers only cost about 1/4 or 1/5 of what the laser platinums cost.

The laser platinums are what came with the car in the first place. They are designed to last 60,000 miles, although many members get more miles out of them than that. For example, I am still running mine after 12 years, but I have only 65,600 mostly highway miles on the engine.

The copper plugs are rated for 30,000 miles. If you are mechanically inclined and are going to change the plugs yourself, you might want to install the coppers.

When I replace my plugs in about 12 months or so, before emissions testing, I plan on using the OEM platinum plugs. They will likely be in the car for at least another 10 years before being changed again and I could care less what they cost. They do not degrade over time and I bet you can't say the same for the coppers.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:49 PM

ok you really need to read through the forum and check the maxmods website before you post this.

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaSparkPlugs

look into it before you post. You'll get flamed to no end for posting this stuff. Everyone has a different opinion and each plug has pros and cons. Read and do whatever you want.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:02 PM

I bought NGK Coppers (BKR5E-11) at Strauss for $12 ($1.89 each). The engine runs very smooth. The only thing is that you have to gap them (it's very easy -buy a gapping tool ).
According to NGK there is no difference in performance with different kinds of plugs.

If you going to buy NGK Platinums , buy them only at the Nissan dealership (around $60) because platinums come pregapped and only the dealers plugs are pregapped according to nissan's specs.

If you can do the job by yourself get the coppers and change them every 30000 miles.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:29 PM

This is the first time I have heard this. Is this true? I had no intention of buying my platinum plugs from the dealer.

Originally Posted by matrix11229

If you going to buy NGK Platinums , buy them only at the Nissan dealership (around $60) because platinums come pregapped and only the dealers plugs are pregapped according to nissan's specs.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

I never gap my coppers.
The only thing is that you have to gap them
Old 09-25-2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
ok you really need to read through the forum and check the maxmods website before you post this.

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaSparkPlugs

look into it before you post. You'll get flamed to no end for posting this stuff. Everyone has a different opinion and each plug has pros and cons. Read and do whatever you want.
my fault. must have overlooked that bit of info
Old 09-25-2006, 08:11 PM

It's cool most people do I think. There isnt a good link to that site. But it goes over everything for the Max. Aftermarket parts and OEM parts, stats about them, best prices, and where to find them.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:17 PM

I checked the NGK coppers that I bought at Strauss and they were pregapped at 0.032, while nissan's recommended gap is 0.044 .
Every car requires a different gap, and the plugs that you buy not from the dealer are not gapped specifically for your car.
The plugs will work and probably you will not feel a big difference even if you don't gap them but the engine will not run as it was designed to run.
Here is the link with a nice writeup : http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...200&country=US

If you gonna buy platinum plugs not from the dealer, check the gap first at the store with a gapping tool (99 cent) before you buy it. If the price difference is 5$ , it's better to get it at the dealership. I'm not sure if you can regap platinum plugs because you can possibly damage the platinum insulator nose.

Anyway, I got the coppers for $12 and I'm gonna change them every 30k.
According to NGK there is no difference in performance between different types of plugs.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:33 PM

I am not rying to start anything, but FWIW, I have run Bosch Platinums for the last 140K of the 217K on my Max with no negatives. Good power, no hesitation and 24mpg combined.

jjam
Old 09-25-2006, 08:35 PM
dot dot dot ...

The number 11 at the end of the part # is the plug gap.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by jjamzman
I am not rying to start anything, but FWIW, I have run Bosch Platinums for the last 140K of the 217K on my Max with no negatives. Good power, no hesitation and 24mpg combined.

jjam
You're lucky , because most members didn't have a good experience with bosch.
I bought Bosch Platinum2 plugs few weeks ago and got hesitations in idle.
Then I put my old NGK plats back (hesitations stoped)and ran to strauss to return the new plugs.
I changed them to NGK coppers and I'm very happy
Old 09-25-2006, 08:43 PM

jjam
im also running bosch plats with no problems, but if ngk's are the ticket im in.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
The number 11 at the end of the part # is the plug gap.
I got PFR5E-11 but their gap was 0.033 . So I had to gap them to 0.044 (1.1 milimeters)
Old 09-25-2006, 08:46 PM
dot dot dot ...

Someone must've raped them during packaging/shipping
Old 09-25-2006, 08:48 PM

You're lucky , because most members didn't have a good experience with bosch.
I bought Bosch Platinum2 plugs few weeks ago and got hesitations in idle.
Then I put my old NGK plats back (hesitations stoped)and ran to strauss to return the new plugs.
I changed them to NGK coppers and I'm very happy
I have run Bosch Plats in all my cars for the last 10 years without any issues. I had a 300ZX before the Max and they worked fine in that 3.0 also. Having heard the consensus from the .org I will try NGK's the next time.

jjam
Old 09-25-2006, 10:00 PM

my PFR5G-11 were pre gapped to .044. I did not buy them from the dealership either. I couldnt belive how pricey they are, cost me $100CAD for 6. But i needed them bad i potentially went about 200,000kms on them.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had bosch platinum +4's in my car that the previous owner put in. I replaced them with NGK iridiums. All I can really say about them is they do their job.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by NYC32798
I had bosch platinum +4's in my car that the previous owner put in. I replaced them with NGK iridiums. All I can really say about them is they do their job.
Are you saying that you see no difference or that they are better?

jjam
Old 09-26-2006, 06:07 AM

I bought NGK Coppers (BKR5E-11) at Strauss for $12 ($1.89 each). The engine runs very smooth. The only thing is that you have to gap them (it's very easy -buy a gapping tool ).
According to NGK there is no difference in performance with different kinds of plugs.

If you can do the job by yourself get the coppers and change them every 30000 miles.
I think something ought to be cleared up about NGK plugs. I went through the same deal this past weekend, b/c I bought a set of BKR5EGP's. I told people on the Org about it and they were referring to these as "Copper Plugs". From NGK's own website, these are NOT Copper plugs.

The G-Power Spark Plug features an extremely fine center electrode of platinum combined with a sharp pointed ground electrode designed for better igniting performance. When compared to conventional plugs, the result is a spark plug that delivers better starts, superior acceleration and greater fuel economy. Extremely clean burning, a new set of G-Power Platinum plugs also creates a considerable reduction in overall emissions

The G-Powers cost about the SAME as the Copper plugs (BKR5ES-11 and BKR5E-11). Granted, they may not have the same AMOUNT of platinum as the OE plug, but they ARE platinum plugs. So now you can get Platinum for the same price as coppers. That's great for my pocket.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bobo
You are going to get flamed big time I am sure. You should only run NGK plugs. I believe iridiums are more suited to boosted applications.

ngk makes iridium plugs
Old 09-26-2006, 06:40 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by acidspit86
ngk makes iridium plugs
Of course they do.

http://www.ngk.com/results_app.asp?AAIA=1211465

NGK IX iridium 5464 BKR5EIX-11 0.044 DOHC $6.95
Old 09-26-2006, 06:53 AM

I know that. I was merely stating that iridium plugs are better for boosted applications, IIRC. I guess I could have been clearer by inserting NGK before iridium.

At any rate, I would avoid Bosch plugs like the plague and if one wants to go cheap by buying the G-power plugs that is up to them, but I wouldn't be bothered with them. Going cheap on spark plugs is the last thing I'll do, particularly if running the risk of adversely affecting the coil packs down the road is a possibility.

Originally Posted by acidspit86
ngk makes iridium plugs
Old 09-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are you saying that you see no difference or that they are better?

jjam
The only thing I really noticed is the idle quality. The idle was smoother but the old plugs were also shot. I didn't notice a performance gain with them.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:19 AM

Replaced NGK coppers after 20k

I did my 60k maintenance at aroung 62k(when I bought the car)
After reading the forum I decided to save a few $$ and go with NGK copper instead of OEM NGK laser platinum.
About 10k-15k(72-77k) later I started to notice a power lag. Low torque under 3k RPM. Did not supspect the plugs since they are "rated" 30k.
Lately(82k), I started to get misfire at idle. I got fed up and decided to switch back to OEM NGK patinum ($9.99 @ Schuck's).
First drive, I got my torque back! I will keep track on my idle misfire in case it might be the coils!!!
Bottom line: Unless one's got extra time and enjoys changing plugs on rainy week ends...go with OEM laser Platinum, it's worth the extra $$$.
Still compiling numbers to figure out gas mileage difference, was running 24-25(mainly highway) on coppers!
I
Old 10-16-2006, 07:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I don't recommend Bosch - Here's Why..

At the time I had a Max and a Legend. I purchased Bosch plugs for the Legend. I decided not to use them and went back to the store and asked for Bosch plugs for the Max.

The parts rep took the plugs for the Legend into his hand and looked up the plugs for the Max. He then put the same plugs back on the counter and said those were for the Max.

Both my Legend and my Max use NGK as the standard plug but according the both owners manuals they used a different NGK plug.(Not just a heat range difference).
The parts guy verified this on the NGK database.

When I asked why he was giving me the same Bosch plug for both cars -- He said "the plugs for the Leg and Max were very close to each other but that NGK made a different plug for the two cars to meet the very small differences in requirements".

He said that in this case Bosch did not do that but not to worry because the same Bosch plug would fit and work in both cars.

What? - Not me!! Stick with NGK - That's why they are standard equip!!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:25 PM

Denso Iridium!! well, that's what I have in my Maxima. I don't notice the difference because I have my engine swapped in a week and couldn't remember how the previous plug performed (Bosch Platinum).

btw, I didn't gap the Denso...I think it's already 0.044 mm.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:32 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by sam29281
Denso Iridium!! well, that's what I have in my Maxima. I don't notice the difference because I have my engine swapped in a week and couldn't remember how the previous plug performed (Bosch Platinum).

btw, I didn't gap the Denso...I think it's already 0.044 mm.
you do nto gap iridium plugs, you will break them........densos are gapped at .040 anyways and anywhere .044 +- .004 will be good. I have the denso iridums( a friend gave them to me after totaling his max). There iss no differance in performance in any way. These plugs are like $!2 a peice at most store and i see it as a waste of money. But they were free and i will nto complain. They are suppose to last 100,000 miles so i have the satifaction of not having to change my plugs for alittle while.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:42 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by sam29281
I think it's already 0.044 mm
Good Lord that's a small gap We're in the micron level now!!
Old 10-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

1. Don't stick to platinum just because it's what came with the car. Iridium is better than platinum in EVERY WAY that matters to a spark plug. The only reason platinum plugs exist is that nobody had the technology to use iridium cost-effectively. Now they do, so there is no reason whatsoever to use platinum plugs.

2. Don't stick to NGK just because it's what came with the car. Some people have had bad experiences with Bosch, but Denso works just as well as NGK.

3. Yes, iridium is better for nitrous and boosted apps. But it's not a "nitrous/boosted-only" item.

4. Most people don't notice any performance/mileage difference between Denso Iridiums and normal platinums. I did. I also noticed a slight difference between Denso Iridiums and NGK Iridium IXs.

5. You absolutely can gap iridium plugs. You just have to be a little more careful, especially with the ones with the uber-fine center electrode tips.

As far as what is the "best" plug... That depends on what you want:

NGK Iridium (part numbers starting with IFR)

Life: Way way WAY longer than platinums (well over 120k miles).
Performance: Same as platinums
Cost: Same as platinums

NGK Iridium IX (part numbers starting with BKR and containing IX)

Life: Significantly longer than platinums (over 100k miles)
Performance: Better than platinums (fine center electrode tip)
Cost: Less than platinums

Denso Iridium (part numbers starting with IK)

Life: Slightly less than platinums (about 50k miles)
Performance: Best available - much better than platinums (grooved ground electrode and ultra-fine center electrode tip)
Cost: Slightly more than platinums
Old 10-16-2006, 07:50 PM
dot dot dot ...

Any dynos to support your theory??
Old 10-16-2006, 07:54 PM

None except the one in my a$$. I know Denso has some somewhere but I don't feel like finding them. I was mostly speaking from the perspective of theory anyway.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:46 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by d00df00d
None except the one in my a$$. I know Denso has some somewhere but I don't feel like finding them. I was mostly speaking from the perspective of theory anyway.
not that good of a therory if there is no proof. i have a set of these densos and they feel theexact same as my ngk coppers i had before. you can gap them yes, but any iridum ngk or denso plug you buy will be either at .044 or .040 which is good enough to stick in, why run the risk of breaking a $12 plug for nothing?

iuse them cause they last longer and they were free.......but feeling the differance in your *** is the same as people feeling boosts in power form intakes, it is justnot there. if you want to feel something bad enough you will.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:40 PM

The theory is sound: given a certain amount of voltage, a finer center electrode tip, made of a more conductive element, will produce a hotter, more reliable spark. It's been proven time and time again in higher-horsepower apps, which is why FI guys almost always use copper or iridium. The only thing that is in question is whether most people will notice the difference, and clearly they won't since platinums obviously work 99% of the time. All I can do is report what I've observed, which is a slightly better feeling of eagerness in some cases and a solid 1-2 more mpg on average with the Denso Iridiums than with the NGK Platinums or Iridium IXs.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:06 AM

I have made the change to Iridium plugs and honestly I can notice no difference in power just the acceleration. I have a bog standard car my fuel economy got marginally better. I run 95 octane with 10% ethanol or 98 with 10%, or when its cheap pure 98 octane with no ethanol. I bought the plugs purely for the durabilty they last 120 000km's which will probably see my motor out since its done 250 000 k's. But I cannot stress the importance of NGK plugs use them and you will be trouble free. And logically if iridium is an upgrade for your ignition why not, anthing to give better spark to help combustion is a good thing.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by AussieA32
I have made the change to Iridium plugs and honestly I can notice no difference in power just the acceleration. I have a bog standard car my fuel economy got marginally better. I run 95 octane with 10% ethanol or 98 with 10%, or when its cheap pure 98 octane with no ethanol. I bought the plugs purely for the durabilty they last 120 000km's which will probably see my motor out since its done 250 000 k's. But I cannot stress the importance of NGK plugs use them and you will be trouble free. And logically if iridium is an upgrade for your ignition why not, anthing to give better spark to help combustion is a good thing.

I read somewhere that it'll provide less resistance thus prolonging your ignition coil. I'm not going to dig it up.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:11 AM

Pretty much. Less voltage required + stronger spark = less timing advance needed, and less stress on the ignition circuit.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:05 AM

so what's better? Iridium or Platnum?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
i have a set of these densos and they feel theexact same as my ngk coppers i had before.
Crap, I just realized you were comparing the Denso Iridiums to NGK copper plugs. That makes sense... Copper and iridium plugs are close enough in terms of performance that there wouldn't be much of a difference except in really high-hp apps.

When I was talking about iridium plugs performing better and/or living longer, I was comparing to platinum, not copper.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:45 PM

Just a quip here. Bosch plugs are engineered for German cars. VW's come with them from the factory, NGK/Denso's are engineered for the Japanese/Korean etc. Likewise, the domestics come with ACdelco, Motorcraft/autolite, champion. If you've ever compared the voltage output (as a general statement; there may well be some exceptions) of European/Domestic/Japanese coils you'll know that respectively you get low/medium/high voltage. Think about it, how many boosted Maxima's worry about getting high performance coils? If there even is any? It's not a high priority because the stock coils are very capable already. Now look at the selection of high performance coils for Domestics, tons. Which may account for the fact that most people (myself included) have not had good luck with Bosch plugs. They eat them alive. A customer of mine put Bosch double plats in his '00 GT mustang, despite my warnings and brought it back within the year because it was missing and hesitating. The plugs were DESTROYED. there was almost nothing left of the electrodes. I put in a set of NGK Plats, runs like a champ again. And to this date he hasn't had any problems. The "softer" bosch plugs run great in VW's. I work on a couple Jetta's and they perform flawlessly, but any experience I've had with them in Japanese cars or newer domestics with DIS ignition systems ends in disappointment.
As a general rule anything with a DIS system I use platinums at least, save the coppers for the distributors. Some guys love their coppers and if you don't mind changing them as often as you need to, they should work fine.
Personally, I run NGK Iridiums in my Maxima. I've put 30k on them and not the slightest problem, I drive aggressively more than I should and still get 24-25 mpg, I pulled them out at my last oil change and they're barely used. The heat ranges of the plugs have alot to do with how long they'll last in a certain car, and the plugs for the European cars or even the domestics just don't work in the Imports, that's my experience at least.

Quick Reply: iridium plugs