4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question about hooking up my tow trailer lighting wires.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Licensed to Spell

Question about hooking up my tow trailer lighting wires.

I know, I know a Maxima is not meant for towing. But since I don't have a truck and I have my '99 (my baby), my '96 has become my beater. Anyway, I have a 4'x8' trailer which I got from Harbor Freight that I hook up to my Max. when I need to haul things. I can't seem to figure out the wiring. There are only 4 wires. Ground, left blinker, right blinker and "tail". The ground and the blinkers are no-brainers. But when I hook the 'tail' wire from the trailer up to the brake wire on the car, only the brake lights function (the trailer tails don't light up when I turn on the headlights). When I hook the 'tail' wire from the trailer up to the tail wire on the car, the trailer lights light up when I turn on the headlights but not when I brake. Arrghh. Assistance please? Thanks.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:10 AM
Just the tip.

I've got 5 wires on the female plug wired to my 99. Ground, Tails, Turn Left, Stop, and Turn Right. Since you've got the turn signals figured out as well as the ground it seems like you just need the Tails and Stop cleared up. On mine the wire for the Tails goes to a red wire with a blue stripe. The wire for Stop goes to a red wire with a green stripe. I hope this helps.
Oh and try not to put too much weight on your trailer. Rear shocks dont like it too much. (I found out the hard way.)
Old 09-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
I've got 5 wires on the female plug wired to my 99. Ground, Tails, Turn Left, Stop, and Turn Right. Since you've got the turn signals figured out as well as the ground it seems like you just need the Tails and Stop cleared up. On mine the wire for the Tails goes to a red wire with a blue stripe. The wire for Stop goes to a red wire with a green stripe. I hope this helps.
Oh and try not to put too much weight on your trailer. Rear shocks dont like it too much. (I found out the hard way.)
Thanks JN. I think (but not sure) I know what the problem is. I used to use my Taurus for towing the trailer. The lighting/wiring worked just fine. I'm thinking maybe there is a difference between American and foreign cars. Like I said, I only have 4 wires. But, it looks like right out of the trailer's tail lights, two wires are spliced together and then run to the one (and only one) tail wire on the harness plug. Perhaps I just need to split these wires and make them two separate runs. Thanks for telling me about your 5 wires, that helped a lot.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:32 PM

Can you post a picture of your maxima hauling something?
Old 10-23-2006, 03:49 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by ptatohed
I know, I know a Maxima is not meant for towing.
As per the 99 Nissan Maxima owners manual:

"Maximum towing load is not to exceed 1,000 lbs with a tongue load of no more then 110 lbs."

Your Maxima can tow a pretty descent load.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:14 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally Posted by jlander82
Can you post a picture of your maxima hauling something?

I guess, but why?

Just picture this:

Hooked up to this:

Carrying this:
<use your imagination: a friend's furniture during a move, a lumber run from Home Depot, a recently purchased washer + dryer, etc....>
Old 10-25-2006, 10:17 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

"Maximum towing load is not to exceed 1,000 lbs with a tongue load of no more then 110 lbs."

You know what I meant smart A. I just meant subjecting a Maxima to towing duty is a disservice to such a nice car. To quote The Wizard "The only thing the Maxima was meant for hauling was @$$".
Old 10-26-2006, 02:48 AM
Maintenance Monster

That trailer alone in his pic looks like a few hundred pounds.

It's very easy to throw double that weight on such a trailer and it won't look like too much. In reality, you'll have a serious stopping problem.

Dave
Old 10-26-2006, 02:38 PM

I have towed a bass boat and a lot of provisions from southeastern PA to Canada every year since 1998 (1000 mile roundtrip) behind my Max. I am probably very close to a 1000 lbs load in this condition. The Max handles it fine. Before the Max, my tow car was a 300ZX. Just because these cars are fast and fun doesn't mean they are not utilitarian. Mine is even lowered and tows fine. I set the rear AGX's up one notch when I tow.

jjam
Old 10-26-2006, 03:50 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by jjamzman
I have towed a bass boat and a lot of provisions from southeastern PA to Canada every year since 1998 (1000 mile roundtrip) behind my Max. I am probably very close to a 1000 lbs load in this condition. The Max handles it fine. Before the Max, my tow car was a 300ZX. Just because these cars are fast and fun doesn't mean they are not utilitarian. Mine is even lowered and tows fine. I set the rear AGX's up one notch when I tow.

jjam
And that is why pennsylvania boaters deserve their bad reputation.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
And that is why pennsylvania boaters deserve their bad reputation.
What bad reputation are you talking about? I'd really like to hear the BS explanation for this negativity. The Max is a fine tow car and has never given me any problems.

jjam