4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how does your maxima drive when the engine is cold?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 04:17 AM
Maxima Owner

Originally Posted by Godson
Ok so you let me make sure were together here,are you only talking about the vehicle temp its ok to drive cold...cause I live in Philly bro and it gets pretty damn cold in the winter,so Im just confused here. Lol,perhaps Im a bit paranoid but its routine but now Im curious. Ok lets say its 80 outside,its cool to just start and go?Does that apply if its 30 outside?Even with all this said I cant see that saying it the "Best" way to warm the car up right? If so why? Im not saying your wrong Im just trying to understand.
got ya beat...Buffalo colder than Philly....dont get me wrong when its cold I start my car about 5-10 min before driving but its still no where near operating temp when its 5 degrees in the winter...u jsut drive slow keep it under like 2500 rpms until the car gets to operating temp....30 is nothing start the car...by the time u get ur seatbelt on and turn the radio all pressures should be ready to roll just dont go WOT anf keep it under 2500 for a few minutes.....now say its 5 degrees like i said earlier...I personally let it run for a few minutes 1. its frosty and u either need to scrap windows or let them defrost that time alone is enough time by the time ur done to drive away....or 2. the car is covered in snow and start it up clean it off and again thats ample time for fluids to get going and flowing...but again driving off ant 100 throttle is a NO NO....cause u know what....Today it was 40 when i left for work and there was frost on my windows from the night....so istarted my car about 5 min before i left the house....and it still was no where near operating temp....so i just drove slow and the car builds temperature kwikly but safely if u take it easy.....now on those really cold days with 3ft of snow i have had the car running for a half hour while i shovel and still not at exactly at operating temp but starting to get there..... i would say like halfway between Cold and middle of the gauge.....and u know what...thats fine....My point in this rambling is u dont need to sit for 15 while ur car warms up....a minute or two is all it really needed before u start driving reasonably...like i said....on a normal mid temperature day....get in start it rght away....and by the time ur put ur belt on check mirrors set radio and looked in the mirror at teh zit on ur face ur ready to rock
Old 10-06-2006, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by busterdawg22
i don't know if it's just my maxima or if everyone experiences this but my maxima drives very very differently when the engine is cold vs when it's warmed up. i never really thought too much about it but my girlfriend's honda accord and several other cars i've driven don't seem to be affected too much by a cold engine. my maxima drives very jerky and holds gears much longer than it should when it's cold. it really drives like $hit. when it's warm it's fine though. i find it hard to believe that back in 1995 it drove like that when it's cold, so what would cause that? does anyone else feel my pain? lol lemme know guys
I have a 96. The only time it ran like you describe was when I bad sensors. Mine starts right up in the cold (just outside of Philly cold) and runs fine when cold. If mine stays in each gear longer, it must be very little because I really have not noticed it. Maybe for the first minute, but after that it is fine. As far as changing vs. flushing...I flush my trans once a year religiously and change the fluid. The original trans went 218K with NO issues (2 weeks ago). Hard to beat. I also towed a bass boat every summer since 1998 and one of those trips is 900 miles round trip, and that is every year. I am in the process of putting in an Infiniti LSD trans right now.

jjam