4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Mass Air Flow Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:39 PM

Mass Air Flow Sensor

Hey

So my check engine light came on yesterday and I performed the self diagnostic test with the ECU and the code that I got back was 01 02 Mass Air Flow Sensor. The problem that I experience every so often is that every so often when I am speeding up, my car chokes a bit and occationally even stalls out.

How would you go about fixing the MAF? Is it possible to clean the MAF or is it an item that you just need to buy and new one. I looked at the prices of them and they are pretty pricey. Would it be a good junk yard item?

If anyone knows anything about it, any information would be appreciated.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have heard of people cleaning them with electronic spray cleaner. I have a good used one. $45.00 shipped.
Mine is for a third gen. not sure if they are the same.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

I got a 4th gen unit for 45 shipped... www.car-part.com
Old 10-12-2006, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by ofgortens
Hey

So my check engine light came on yesterday and I performed the self diagnostic test with the ECU and the code that I got back was 01 02 Mass Air Flow Sensor. The problem that I experience every so often is that every so often when I am speeding up, my car chokes a bit and occationally even stalls out.

How would you go about fixing the MAF? Is it possible to clean the MAF or is it an item that you just need to buy and new one. I looked at the prices of them and they are pretty pricey. Would it be a good junk yard item?

If anyone knows anything about it, any information would be appreciated.

MAF for Maximas arent supposed to be cleaned with ANYTHING. I was told this by a Nissan tech. after asking about cleaning mine. He subsequently gave me a working MAF. The 3rd gen MAF is not interchangeable with yours (I have one).Your best bet is getting it used or new if it's affordable.
Be sure to reconnect the wire on the MAF tube( I dont know what it's called)It's like a sensor before starting the car. I forgot to reconnect mine and it triggered the CEL which was on for a month until I finally had it resetted over the weekend. Disconnecting the battery overnight didnt help with the CEL either.

Good Luck.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:46 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by Brudda Bob
MAF for Maximas arent supposed to be cleaned with ANYTHING. I was told this by a Nissan tech. after asking about cleaning mine. He subsequently gave me a working MAF. The 3rd gen MAF is not interchangeable with yours (I have one).Your best bet is getting it used or new if it's affordable.
Be sure to reconnect the wire on the MAF tube( I dont know what it's called)It's like a sensor before starting the car. I forgot to reconnect mine and it triggered the CEL which was on for a month until I finally had it resetted over the weekend. Disconnecting the battery overnight didnt help with the CEL either.

Good Luck.
of course they aregoing to tell you that......but if it is alreay messed up, why not try cleaning it with electrical parts cleaner? ifit fixes it awsome, if not, well you are in the same boat you were already in, no real loss.

Go to a junk yard, or purchase one from a meber on here. it is easy to install and it should fix your sputtering and stall outs

and to reset the ecu all you gotta do it go to a autostore and use their obd. or 95 - 98 turn the screw on the ecu
Old 10-12-2006, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
of course they aregoing to tell you that......but if it is alreay messed up, why not try cleaning it with electrical parts cleaner? ifit fixes it awsome, if not, well you are in the same boat you were already in, no real loss.

Go to a junk yard, or purchase one from a meber on here. it is easy to install and it should fix your sputtering and stall outs

and to reset the ecu all you gotta do it go to a autostore and use their obd. or 95 - 98 turn the screw on the ecu
The person that gave me the information is a friend of mine.It's not like he was trying to make a "dollah". Furthermore, he gave me the MAF. Gave as in FREE.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:01 PM

i think i have a almost same problem but my engine fans stoped after replacing intake (i think its because i desconected the thing next to the MAF)