4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ecu Code 201

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 06:17 AM
bds

Ecu Code 201

HELP, I need a good trouble shooter!!!! I have a 1999 gle with 187, 000 miles. The coils and injectors are all original, the plugs were changed recently.

About six months ago my CEL started coming on. Code 201 only, no secondaries. I changed all the spark plugs and reset the code but it would come back every several hundred miles. Finally I got a secondary code, 60X, don’t remember the exact code. But it indicated a misfire in a specific cylinder.

All the ignition coils checked good, so I cleaned all the contacts and reinstalled them, switching the one on the misfiring cyl with one on the same bank. This seemed to work, no CEL for 5 months.

Then last week it came back. Code 201 only, no secondaries. I tested, cleaned and reinstalled the coil packs, but it didn’t help this time. The CEL comes on almost every day. I keep checking and resetting the code but its 201 only.

The light usually comes on while I’m driving around but isn’t triggered by any specific event like starting or acceleration. I usually can’t tell that the car is misfiring when I’m driving, but the other day the CEL came on when I started the car and the engine was definitely misfiring. I revved the eng a couple of times but it was still missing. I then turned the car off and restarted and it ran fine. The ECU code was still just the 201 only.

According to the post I’ve read I should get a second code telling me which cyl is missing. I don’t mind changing all the coil packs if that’s what’s needed; I just want to make sure I’m not wasting 500 bucks first. I guess another possibility is the injectors. Any other things I should check first.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:40 AM

FSM lists possible causes for 0201 as:
Ignition primary circuit open or shorted
Power transistor unit built in ignition coils
Condensor
Crankshaft position sensor
Crankshaft position sensor circuit
You can test all the above with a multimeter which would at least help to rule out some of the possible causes.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:22 PM
bds

Originally Posted by Maxima880
FSM lists possible causes for 0201 as:
Ignition primary circuit open or shorted
Power transistor unit built in ignition coils
Condensor
Crankshaft position sensor
Crankshaft position sensor circuit
You can test all the above with a multimeter which would at least help to rule out some of the possible causes.
iv checked all these i think i might be an ignition coil even though they test good. Do you think that the dealers test would tell me more.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:05 AM

I don't know much about the dealer's diagnostics testing - In my service manual I've often seen things like "Enter diagnostics mode II with CONSULT" which I assume is a scanner/diagnostic computer. I do know that coils that test OK with the multimeter can in reality be bad - Whether due to heat or high load, I don't know. On the other hand you should have a code that points to a specific cylinder if it's a coil pack and $450 - $500 is a lot to lay down when your not sure. From what I've read in this forum I've come to believe that the coil packs have a limited life span. I went ahead and replaced all of mine when my car was 8 years old, (110K), because I plan to keep it for a number of more years. If I were in your shoes, I'd recheck the coil packs - If they all check good, I might go to a dealer for a diagnosis only and go from there.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:56 AM
bds

Well, I ordered new coil packs off ebay for $305 shipped, they arrived 2 days later and are the same as the OEM. The car does seem to run a bit better, no CEL yet. Ill update in a couple weeks if this fixed the problem.