4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Want to replace Springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 06:22 PM

Want to replace Springs

I have gone from ground-control coil-overs to sprint springs and now I want to get a set of springs that can have a better ride with still a good lowered look.
The stiff suspension has caused too many interior noises/rattles and I need something softer. Besides H & R (don't lower much) what other springs can give the same quality ride (softest) but can give a fairly aggressive look?
All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:16 PM

bump:
I would like to make a purchase ASAP so if I could get some advice on what is better to go for (based on experience/reputation), it would be apprecaited.

Currently I am debating between Tokico springs or Tein H-Tech.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:33 PM

You shouldn't get interior noises and rattles from lowering springs. Did you install the springs yourself or did you have a mechanic do it for you?

What I'm getting at is not whether you ****ed it up or not. What I am getting at is whether or not you installed spring isolators, or did your mechanic throw away your worn out isolators and not reuse them, and didn't tell you?

Spring isolators are hard to find for our cars. But dealerships should be able to get them for about $8 a piece. But that might be my shop's cost, since I work at a repair shop.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:17 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Tokico or progress springs are low lowest you should go, they are still pretty soft too.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:21 AM

I've got GR2's w/ H-Techs. The look is nice, but the ride is too rough over bumps. If I could do it again, I'd go w/ the H&R's.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Innocent_Maxima
I have gone from ground-control coil-overs to sprint springs and now I want to get a set of springs that can have a better ride with still a good lowered look.
The stiff suspension has caused too many interior noises/rattles and I need something softer. Besides H & R (don't lower much) what other springs can give the same quality ride (softest) but can give a fairly aggressive look?
All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
As had been said many times, anything other than stock is going to be stiffer. It's also pretty universal on the board as well that H&R's will give you the best ride for lowering. So if you want something lower, it's gonna just as stiff as what you currently have. I've heard good things about Vogtland Springs, but I'm not sure what the drop is.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:42 AM

I'm pretty happy w/ my TEIN S TECH. Ride's pretty good IMO, and the stance is much improved - 2.2" in Front, and 1.8" in the back. If that's too much for your taste, the H TECH ones only lower about 1.5 and 1.25 (I think).
Old 10-20-2006, 10:31 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

The softer the spring rate the bouncer and more $hitty the ride will be. You wanna be stiff. STIFF rocks!. I love my eibachs its like i'm driving a go-cart around corners and I'm still on crappy gr-2's
Old 10-20-2006, 11:30 AM

You consider Eibachs extra stiff? I have the pro-kit and it rides pretty well with Monroe Sensa-tracs. Reminds me of a BMW ride.

Oh yeah, and the handling is top-notch.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Made in Taiwan

Tien S-tech or Eibach's are both pretty comparable rides. Their spring constants are very similar, just a tad bit harder when pressed down to a certain level.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:41 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by Cheezwiz
You consider Eibachs extra stiff?
with gr-2's i do.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:57 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by GodFather
Tien S-tech or Eibach's are both pretty comparable rides. Their spring constants are very similar, just a tad bit harder when pressed down to a certain level.
no not really. stechs are on the bump stops, eibachs are not.

Any one who thinks drop springs are stiff needs to get their head checked. Harsh yes, stiff no. Eibachs max out ar 275f/343r..... coilovers usually start at 450f/350r.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:37 PM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by JSutter
no not really. stechs are on the bump stops, eibachs are not.

Any one who thinks drop springs are stiff needs to get their head checked. Harsh yes, stiff no. Eibachs max out ar 275f/343r..... coilovers usually start at 450f/350r.

Well compared to 170,000 gle springs, I would say that eibachs are stiff and harsh, but I love it!
Old 10-20-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

gr-2s are harsh, eibachs not so much.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:39 AM
BOOST 4 LIFE!

Originally Posted by JSutter
gr-2s are harsh, eibachs not so much.
Believe it or not I actually like the combo
Old 10-21-2006, 04:18 PM

Well I had SE springs originally (nice and soft, no noises) then for a few months I put on the sprint springs and later that summer I went to the Ground-control coilovers for the more lowered look (I really regret it). Sure the handling was nice and the car felt more planted on the ground, but it wasnt worth that harsh of a ride.
Over the year that I had the coil-overs on, it really shook apart the interior panels, dash etc due to the bad roads here, over road cracks, dips, bridge junctions, potholes etc. Now I have many interior rattles including all my pillars and even the windsheilds (believe it or not) and that annoys the hell out of me because I enjoy a quiet ride.
I tossed out the coil-overs (I can sell if anyone is interested) and I put the sprint springs back with Tokico blue shocks. The ride is still a little too stiff for my liking, that's why I was wondering what would be the best set up to have an aggressive look (I can't stand the 4x4 look) and to have a nice ride even on harsher roads.
H&Rs don't seem to cut it for stance (front still looks higher than rear) although I'm sure they offer the best ride. Besides those, what can give me the ride I am looking for? Tokico? Progress? Tein H-tech?
Would they offer a noticeable difference in ride quality in comparison to the sprint?
BTW the dealership installed my springs with new spring isolators.

Thanks again for all the input.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:35 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Well 1st off any lowered Max should be on shortened Konis. Youll get back wheel travel thats lost from lowering the car. Also Konis are not harsh, so thats another plus. You should also look into rear upper mounts to help the rear. Tokico HP are basically stock replacement, just slightly stiffer. Using them with most of the drop springs will blow them quick. Sprints are pretty much the lowest drop spring out there so the ride will suffer at that height.

You should get either H techs, Progress, or Tokico springs with Koni struts. If you dont want konis at the very least Illuminas. But the ride will suffer with the Illuminas.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

H&Rs don't seem to cut it for stance (front still looks higher than rear) although I'm sure they offer the best ride.
If you have an automatic tranny the H&R drop is dead even.
The ride and handling of an H&R/Illuminas combo is far superior then any other sport/lower coil spring and strut setup you can buy for a 4th gen Max.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:18 PM

Well I had SE springs originally (nice and soft, no noises) then for a few months I put on the sprint springs and later that summer I went to the Ground-control coilovers for the more lowered look (I really regret it). Sure the handling was nice and the car felt more planted on the ground, but it wasnt worth that harsh of a ride.
Over the year that I had the coil-overs on, it really shook apart the interior panels, dash etc due to the bad roads here, over road cracks, dips, bridge junctions, potholes etc. Now I have many interior rattles including all my pillars and even the windsheilds (believe it or not) and that annoys the hell out of me because I enjoy a quiet ride.
I tossed out the coil-overs (I can sell if anyone is interested) and I put the sprint springs back with Tokico blue shocks. The ride is still a little too stiff for my liking, that's why I was wondering what would be the best set up to have an aggressive look (I can't stand the 4x4 look) and to have a nice ride even on harsher roads.
H&Rs don't seem to cut it for stance (front still looks higher than rear) although I'm sure they offer the best ride. Besides those, what can give me the ride I am looking for? Tokico? Progress? Tein H-tech?
Would they offer a noticeable difference in ride quality in comparison to the sprint?
BTW the dealership installed my springs with new spring isolators.

Thanks again for all the input.
What brand are the coilovers? Do you have pics, more info? And how much would you be willing to let them go for, i may be interested.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:25 PM

njmax, I do have an automatic. Will the H&Rs definately look even with the auto? Is that what you are lowered on? If so, would you happen to have any pics?

Jsutter, are Konis indeed the best shocks? That is what I have gathered so far, but I havn't been sure if they are best for handling or for comfort. How are they for comfort? And what do you mean by shortened konis?
I just recently put in new upper strut mounts and the Tokico shocks are fairly new as well and I had to pay a butt-load to get them and have them put in. Would the Tein H-tech, Progress or Tokico springs blow my blue shocks?
And between those 3 springs, which would give the best ride/lowered combo?

95 Maxima 5sp - The coilovers are Ground Controls (Brandname). Essentially they are Eibach springs with KYB AGX struts. The price is negotiable.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:21 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Koni struts are adjustable for rebound dampening only which means even when they are "full stiff" the ride feels the same. If you have ridden in a car with KYB AGX or Tokico Illuminas on full stiff you'd know. They get really hard, like ridding on bricks. When Ill. and AGX are turned up so is the compression so they wont compress easy giving a very horrid ride. Koni front struts fit inside the stock strut housing, so they can be shortened some to get the lost travel back. They are the best shock for our cars. They have better valving for handling and since they dont get stiff the are very comfortable on the street.

HP's are very good for stock springs or one with lower rates and a minimal drop. They ride pretty smooth too. Tokico springs are very very nice, and are made to work with their struts. I installed them on a freinds car with Illuminas and it rode great on 18"s. I have also ridden in a freinds with Progress on stock struts. It was very very smooth. I havent ridden in a car with Htechs but I have seen them in person on 2 cars. The Progress are the lowest, then Tokicos, then Htechs, I know this doesnt make since but every car is different. They are all pretty even, just not slammed.

Progress= rated 1.7"f/1.5"r drop
H-Tech= rated 1.6"f/1.2"r drop 179 lbs/in front and 252 lbs/in rear (max rates)
Tokico= rated 1.5f"/1.3"r drop, 111-225 lb/in front and 148-295 lb/in rear
I think you should go with the Progress, to get the lower stance.

if you havent seen it: http://maxmods.dyndns.org/
Old 10-23-2006, 07:37 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by babymac
The softer the spring rate the bouncer and more $hitty the ride will be.
Only with crappy struts.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:40 PM

Thanks to everyone for the info, specially JSutter. I think I will be going with the Tokico springs seeing as how they offer a good balance of lowering (front and back) as well as ride quality (I really hope so).
I just want to confirm if they will work well with my Tokico blues? And on the side, if they would work with Konis.

Much appreciated!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

They will work well with Tokico Blues.

They will work orgasmically with Konis.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:41 AM

[QUOTE=JSutter] Koni front struts fit inside the stock strut housing, so they can be shortened some to get the lost travel back.
How do we shortened them?
In my opiniun, Eibach/Koni is better than Progess/Koni.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:08 AM
Maxima Owner

ground control/koni > all...even with stiff springs....the KONIs make all teh diffference in controlling the harshness.....i will be selling my Progress soon to anyone looking for them.....ad will be in classifieds soon