4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cattman YG4 pipe ordered

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 09:57 AM

Well I finally did it. I ordered the Cattman Y Pipe for my 97 SE. It won't ship until some time next week though. The next fun will be finding a place to install it because of the pre-cat issue.

Question? How many sensors are located on this piece of pipe that I will need to reconnect?

Next up will be the CAIG4-A Cold air intake piece. This is the intake that locates the air element in the fenderwell. Does anyone have any comparison for me on this one versus the plain POP that keeps the cone element in the engine compartment?

Later from Houston...
Old 06-29-2001, 01:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There are two sensors in the Y-pipe. As for the install, almost any muffler shop will do the install.
Just make sure that you don't drop the O2 sensors, cause they are really expensive to replace.

You should reset the ECU so that it'll remap for the Y-pipe.
Old 06-29-2001, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by breaux124
There are two sensors in the Y-pipe. As for the install, almost any muffler shop will do the install.
Just make sure that you don't drop the O2 sensors, cause they are really expensive to replace.

You should reset the ECU so that it'll remap for the Y-pipe.
^---How would I go about resetting the ECU and at what point should I do this? Does it HAVE To be reset before first startup with pipe or anything like that????
Old 06-29-2001, 06:18 PM

reset ECU

disconnect the negative battery terminal for a couple hours soon after you get the pipe installed. I'll be installing mine myself, so I'll disconnect the battery, install the pipe, and reconnect (assuming it takes me at least a couple hours to put on.

Justin
Old 06-29-2001, 06:49 PM

OK thats total BS, that any muffler shop will install it. Maybe its because I live in CA, but i've been to like 5 places and nobody will touch my stillen Y pipe because they say they can get in big trouble for removing the pre-cats. This monday me and my friends are gonna have to attempt to do it ourselves.
Old 06-29-2001, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by A-Ron Max
OK thats total BS, that any muffler shop will install it. Maybe its because I live in CA, but i've been to like 5 places and nobody will touch my stillen Y pipe because they say they can get in big trouble for removing the pre-cats. This monday me and my friends are gonna have to attempt to do it ourselves.
I live in the Bay Area and I got the same treatment when I asked them to install my WSP y-pipe. However, one place said they could do it but would cost $55/hr and they had no exact idea how long it would take to get it done. I opted to go to Wal-Mart and bought myself a couple of jackstands and a floor jack for roughly $40. I did the work myself and took approximately 5 hours to get it done. Don't forget to buy Liquid Wrench to spray those bolts down (8 total). It would also be helpful if you have a flexible extension wrench and some universal joints.
Old 06-30-2001, 09:20 AM

I live outside of philly and the first place I went to they agreed to do it for $65. I tried doing it myself, but those bolts were just too rusted on, so I let them do it.

Try to see if there is a local speed shop in your area, they are usually more likely to help you out.

Good luck.
Old 06-30-2001, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by A-Ron Max
Don't worry about it. It's not hard. Just be sure you're prepared for any corrosion. That was my main problem when I tried doing it myself. My 96's y was rusted on to the cat and took some serious work to get off. Wound up having to cut off my stock exhaust and ruining it. Didn't matter too much just meant waiting a week without my car before my Stillen exhaust arrived. But if I planned ahead just a tad bit more, the whole thing would have been done in like two hours, since I would have replaced it all at once... As it stands it tooks about 3 hours of work (4 with the lunch break) to replace everything and salvage the cat and buy new bolts at the hardware store. To be honest, I don't know where the time went because it's only like 12 bolts for the y pipe (I think 9 on the Cattaman) and then 3 more on the other side of the Cat with the cat-back I installed plus reconnecting the three sensors (2 o2 sensors and the Cat's knock sensor)