4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New To Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 10:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I currenty have a 90 Stanza. I want to stay in the Nissan Family, but want to upgrade. I am 17, but with my new Internship at IBM i think i can pull off buying a 96 or 97 Max.

I want to race Those dime a dozen Honda Civic rice rockets and Smoke'um.

What Upgrades should I get without totally braking the bank?

What is a Pop-charger?

How much are SC?

What Order should I buy the upgrades?

Thanks In advance!
Old 06-29-2001, 11:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A pop charger is an intake for the Maxima. Your choices are pretty much that or a CAI. (cold air intake) Go here to look at the pop charger: http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/poprest.htm
Get a FSTB. (front strut tower brace) They are cheap and are probably the best bang for the buck mod. I got mine for $40 shipped to my door on e-bay. There is really no difference between the expensive Stillen versions and the cheap www.street-beat.com ones. Besides the looks... SC are way too expensive for me so I dont know but I am sure many others do. As for the order, get an intake (~5 HP), FSTB, clear corners (won't help u beat Hondas but they look good), Y-pipe (20 HP), then maybe a SC if you can afford it. That should take care of ya. You could go with NOS too but I dont know much about that either.
Old 06-30-2001, 12:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

the pop charger is at the same location of the stock air intake, right. The CAI is positioned lower, correct. So the CAI would produce more HP because it pulls in colder air? How much would a whole nitro kit cost? Where can i view SC? Thanks for your help Eagle
Old 06-30-2001, 01:24 AM

buy a 5 speed se

that way you can smoke a majority of them stock!! I do...don't know why could be they add 1000 pounds of rice material that dosent work...mabey i can't say that but the majority honda bad a$$ will try to run you with his stock engin with performance stickers on the windows... bet that comment gets a response...oh well
Old 06-30-2001, 02:16 AM

Originally posted by jOeHaCk98
I currenty have a 90 Stanza. I want to stay in the Nissan Family, but want to upgrade. I am 17, but with my new Internship at IBM i think i can pull off buying a 96 or 97 Max.

I want to race Those dime a dozen Honda Civic rice rockets and Smoke'um.

What Upgrades should I get without totally braking the bank?

What is a Pop-charger?

How much are SC?

What Order should I buy the upgrades?

Thanks In advance!
A pop charger replaces the box that is the stock intake, for a CAI you will have to cut a small hole in the inside part of the fender(wont show on the outside and will be covered by the intake parts once there). The CAI will add more hp and will sound a little louder. Nissan cars run best with CAI's because the ECU is programed to do so. A SC is about $2500-3500(I've heard different prices - mostly over $3000) It is an awesome mod and will add a ton of power, but it is really expensive. I personaly think you should get the CAI and a Y-pipe as the first 2 mods(the Y-pipe will make the exhaust louder) and a new cat also(a Random Technology would be my preference)which will all together add about 35-45 hp. The new cat will also make the exhaust louder. Definatley get a FSTB(Front Strut Tower Brace) and a RSB(Rear Sway Bar). There are a bunch of cheap ones you can get or if you are looking for the highest quality and might later on have your car as a show car go with Stillen($tealin'). With the FSTB and the RSB you will be able to take corners much faster than as stock. For about $140 more you can get some Sprint lowering springs that will lower the max 2" all around and dramatically increas cornering ability. I think you need to get new shocks with the lowering springs but I'm not sure on that one. The intake and exhaust mods will definatley help you outrun the ricers and the suspension mods will help you out corner them. I would do them in that order. Hope this helped.

K
Old 06-30-2001, 10:04 AM

wow thats quite a list, but i totally agree with it, i do have to say get some struts/shocks, we had a thread just about springs and the stock struts and most people said that they are neccesary because the springs will blow the stock struts
Old 07-02-2001, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by RedMax95
wow thats quite a list, but i totally agree with it, i do have to say get some struts/shocks, we had a thread just about springs and the stock struts and most people said that they are neccesary because the springs will blow the stock struts
That is good to know before I try to install my springs with the stock shocks, thanks!

K