4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

going into gear shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 06:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

going into gear shuts off

been twice already... each morning i let car warm up for 5 mins, mabe its not enough, but...

i cant get out of the driveway.

the car starts fine, but then as soon as i put it into gear it shuts off. what could this be? also IF i get it into gear, i have to put it in nutral and then reverse then it studders and wants to shut off and alittle gas might get it to work fine.

the engine doesnt run very effectient - not going into gear from a stop right away and rpms were not right.

i have a 97 auto se.

i had the o2 cell sensor go on and off for a good couple months, its currently off.

im guessing its the o2 but can it really cause all this trouble?
Old 10-31-2006, 06:13 AM
shift_Puff

get the trans checked...the o2 sensors wouldn't do that
Old 10-31-2006, 07:56 AM

Hehe ... it shouldn't be a transmission or O2 sensor problem. That problem is because your IACV is clogged. Check your idle. It is probably rough or low normally so when you throw it into gear it chokes the car. I bet if you were rolling 2-5 MPH and you threw the car in drive it would work just fine ... because the car isn't going to choke since the RPMs will have to rise slightly.

First clean IACV then start working on idle problems (check sparks, clean IM, run seafoam, etc)

MAN I am on a question answering streak. Hehe ... trying to move from standard member to respected member around here
Old 10-31-2006, 10:25 AM

got my o2 sensor in the mail yesterday, wont be able to spark that up until after wendsday

iwill check athe iacv soon. any tips on that? i know there is a sticky but unsure how informative that is, will check that out later today if i get some time.

any guess what kind of tranny problem? is it a replace the whole tranny thing? (would you GUESS? that is if its not o2 and/or iacv).

i seafoam on a regular basis - tho i missed it the last oil change (before i replace the oil i seafoam). i havent changed the spark plugs - mabe i will give that a try.

also this seems to happen in the morning - not in the afternoon when warmed up - tho im about to go get lunch, so i will find out for sure in a min.

EDIT: got back from lunch - it did it again. i had to mess with it, and i got it to work after a few times of putting the car in neutral then reverse but never the first time. then it sputtered back and then in drive until i accelerated.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:16 PM

It isn't a tranny problem. The car drives normally once it is in gear right. Let me guess, when you are coming to a stop, the RPMs dive down and then recover.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:38 PM

the car doesnt really drive right/normal.
when i stop and then press the gas the car will wait asecound then jump into a gear. when accelearating it (not wot) the rpm's will rise but it wont really accelerate and change gears where they are suppose to.

the rpm's dont drop down right away at all, i will double check this tho.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:57 PM

clean your IACV, clean throttle body, than adjust you idle speed to 700rpms in Neutral with no load on the engine.

and check your PCV valve, clogged one will not allow the engine to breathe properly.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Donating i30 Owner

.. check the plugs around the MAF... a shop put in a trans into my brothers i30...

yea.. then they forgot to push in the pllug th ewhole way.. adn the car kept shutting off... so i looked at it and pushed the plugs all again.. and it worked fine...
Old 11-01-2006, 11:25 AM

ok, so i ran to autozone the other night and came up with 3 codes.

-the rear o2 sensor code (0707)
does this mean that the front o2 is malfunctioning?

-gear to ratio incorrect

-something about the torque converter

i didnt bring the codes with me to work :P

this morning the car started up fine and ran fine too - no issues what so ever not even with the gearing (mabe i just cant feel it or its very mild).

could the o2 sensor in the front cause these issues to happen since i didnt fix it for so long?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:41 PM

Same problem happened to me. It would run perfect some days and bad others. Had to replace the whole tranny : (
Old 11-01-2006, 06:56 PM
MaximaDriver

i had something like that when my MAF was bad
Old 11-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Difficult is NOT impossible!

I had a similar problem with my 96, the RPMs would drop really low in reverse and when I would shift to drive the car would just die.. This may seem random, but I was actually low on Power Steering fluid, I filled it up and all as been fine for the past year.. I'm not sure if it was a luck or what? but my friends Integra would not let him shift out of park, and he was low on PS fluid too and since he filled it up, all has been fine.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:23 PM

im going to replace all the o2 sensors first. if that doesnt do anything im going to go step by step ... BUT...

if its a bad trans... what do you think?
can i put an AE 2001 (AUTO) VLSD trans into my 1997 SE auto (its just a normal trans no lsd). i know it needs new axels but myne are bad anyways... could it hookup without any issues/mod's extra tinkering?

else, a regular locking differential and new locking axel should replace my trans fine????

what to look for when looking for a new trans? i looked on car-parts.com and found some, what should i look for in the list? cost millage what/>?

edit: anyone in southern wisconson, northern ill around the lake - that would be able to install? - anyone know any good shops at the very least?