4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

VB auto vs Stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 06:38 PM

While im on the subject of the VB mod, How would a auto with just the VB mod stack up to a all stock 5 speed??
My thanks to all who reply.
Old 06-29-2001, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by thezcarguy
While im on the subject of the VB mod, How would a auto with just the VB mod stack up to a all stock 5 speed??
My thanks to all who reply.
The stick should always win. Unless the driver of the stick does not know what he/she is doing.

VB auto should be able to take a non VB auto. Given all variables are equal.
Old 06-29-2001, 06:57 PM

i think a vb auto can hang all till 3rd gear..cuz thats when the 5spd max USUALLY starts to walk...
i say USUALLY cuz not every 5spd max driver can drive.

ill be going to palmdale on july 13th...ill race any 5spd max that shows up....
Old 06-29-2001, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by buss95max
i think a vb auto can hang all till 3rd gear..cuz thats when the 5spd max USUALLY starts to walk...
i say USUALLY cuz not every 5spd max driver can drive.

ill be going to palmdale on july 13th...ill race any 5spd max that shows up....
Now after the VB mod, is the reason that a 5 speed still wins because of the gearing diffrences or the amount of power lost through the tranny??
Old 06-29-2001, 11:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think if you get the vb mod AND a high stall converter you might tie or beat a stick. I posted a thread about the same subject. Ill try to find it.
Old 06-29-2001, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
I think if you get the vb mod AND a high stall converter you might tie or beat a stick. I posted a thread about the same subject. Ill try to find it.
for everyday driving i think a high stall would suck..im not sure though...im sure it would launch ur ish like a ****..but with all the money you spend a vb, high stall and whatever...must as well go 5spd..
Old 06-30-2001, 09:33 AM

i raced calsonicSE, he has the vb mod, torque converter, almost all bolt-ons. i beat him with my 5spd with only a CAI and a heavy sub box in my trunk. he had one passenger in his car, i was by myself. we will probably race again soon. by the way, on one race race he got me on the launch but i was gaining quickly. i like the power in second gear more than in third gear.
Old 08-05-2001, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by enticiveblkmax
i raced calsonicSE, he has the vb mod, torque converter, almost all bolt-ons. i beat him with my 5spd with only a CAI and a heavy sub box in my trunk. he had one passenger in his car, i was by myself. we will probably race again soon. by the way, on one race race he got me on the launch but i was gaining quickly. i like the power in second gear more than in third gear.
hehe Jayme...don't leave out all the details. =) Don't forget that I also had a bunch of audio stuff in the trunk...and I had heavy 18's and you were running on your stock 16's..and like you mentioned, I also had a passenger.

Anyway, on that day, you won twice and I won twice...too bad we both couldn't get good launches at the same time...I still haven't mastered launching properly with the TC...too much tire spin...

I may beat you to the quarter mile mark, however, I know you will always eventually pass me on the top end...there's no replacement for that extra gear.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:14 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

ON the Contrary,..

AAMCO Transmissions do a quality VB upgrade for 180.00

Tranny Cooler - Not much more expensive

Total will come out to much less than 1 G.

Auto --> Manual Conversion = 2-5 G's

Think about it.

Also, I might add: Take a maxima (auto) stock against a maxima (5spd) stock, the auto being an experianced driver, the stick being a novice, and the auto would cream him. (he would most likely **** up)

Now, put a good vb on an auto, against a stock 5spd, the auto could win against intermediate drivers a respectable amount of the time.

Dont rule out automatics, they still can become potent competitors.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:47 AM

I completely agree with you Craig.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:57 AM
I'm needing a caw

5-sps have better gearing becuase they have well..5-sps vs 4-sp automatics.

But then again, autos have alot easier time shifting gears than 5-sps.

There is a reason why most high power drag cars are automatics.
Old 08-06-2001, 12:11 PM

Re: ON the Contrary,..

Originally posted by Craig Mack
AAMCO Transmissions do a quality VB upgrade for 180.00

Tranny Cooler - Not much more expensive

Total will come out to much less than 1 G.

Auto --> Manual Conversion = 2-5 G's

Think about it.

Also, I might add: Take a maxima (auto) stock against a maxima (5spd) stock, the auto being an experianced driver, the stick being a novice, and the auto would cream him. (he would most likely **** up)

Now, put a good vb on an auto, against a stock 5spd, the auto could win against intermediate drivers a respectable amount of the time.

Dont rule out automatics, they still can become potent competitors.
AAMCO does a VB upgrade? Has anyone gone to them? How do they compare to Don's?
Old 08-06-2001, 02:46 PM
Licensed to Spell

Why does Consumer Reports...

...get the same exact 0-60 for the auto and the stick? I still have the issue!

I always hear all this talk about how much faster sticks are than autos. But I want to hear some real-life numbers/statistics/facts! Has anybody raced two similar year/trim/mileaged auto and stick Maximas? Anybody have times from their before and after auto to manual swap? Etc.?

Anybody with a 5-speed in S.D. and want to have friendly race?

P.s. Craig, tell us more about this Aamco upgrade...
Old 08-06-2001, 02:56 PM

MedicSonic, Jeff, Ben...

MedicSonic: Thanks for the back-up. Your opinion has always been respected.

Jeff: I was just thinking that..That's exactly why the dragsters are automatics. Great Comment.

Ben: I mistakenly said "AAA Transmissions" does this upgrade, but yes, it is AAMCO. I was just down their today. The guy told me he uses his materials from the best quality company (forgot the name he said it too fast). I told him a little what Don does. He nodded, then we went over to a model valve body. He showed me all the little things he replaces to make the shifts true and sporty. It's a local job - No downtime, no shipping b.s., and they do all the work (taking it off and on).
I didn't ask him about a tranny cooler becuase I didnt have the time. I plan to go back their sometime but if enough of you guys want me to, I'll go back asap.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:03 PM

Re: Why does Consumer Reports...

Umm . . . DON'T look to Consumer Reports for expert car opinions in terms of performance. The staff at CR are obviously not enthusiasts. Look at them for the reliability record thru the years (the 95-99 Maxes have very good full red circle ratings all over the place), the practical nature of the car, and if it has the Good House keeping seal of approval j/k

Seriously, look at car mags to get a better idea of what a particular car is really like.

I'm quite an experienced stick driver and I have a few friends with auto Maximas. If they ride with me, all I do is take off in 1st and they know

Plus, keep in mind that all these comparisons between the auto and stick almost always have a modded auto verses a stock stick. If you can mod the auto, why not the stick as well, I say!!

DW

Originally posted by ptatohed
...get the same exact 0-60 for the auto and the stick? I still have the issue!

I always hear all this talk about how much faster sticks are than autos. But I want to hear some real-life numbers/statistics/facts! Has anybody raced two similar year/trim/mileaged auto and stick Maximas? Anybody have times from their before and after auto to manual swap? Etc.?

Anybody with a 5-speed in S.D. and want to have friendly race?

P.s. Craig, tell us more about this Aamco upgrade...
Old 08-06-2001, 03:04 PM

Re: MedicSonic, Jeff, Ben...

MedicSonic: Thanks for the back-up. Your opinion has always been respected.

Jeff: I was just thinking that..That's exactly why the dragsters are automatics. Great Comment.

Ben: I mistakenly said "AAA Transmissions" does this upgrade, but yes, it is AAMCO. I was just down their today. The guy told me he uses his materials from the best quality company (forgot the name he said it too fast). I told him a little what Don does. He nodded, then we went over to a model valve body. He showed me all the little things he replaces to make the shifts true and sporty. It's a local job - No downtime, no shipping b.s., and they do all the work (taking it off and on).
I didn't ask him about a tranny cooler becuase I didnt have the time. I plan to go back their sometime but if enough of you guys want me to, I'll go back asap.
That's cool, I already have the tranny cooler, just wondering if its worth getting the VB upgrade and how many tenths of a second will it knock off my 1/4.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:09 PM

I'll just say that I ran against some stick with ok drivers behind the wheel and I barely lost(no mods). Granted, those auto trannies need some help but when I ran against theblue at Maxus, he got me good. He finished 1.3 seconds faster than me.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:15 PM

Deezo, Ben..

Deezo: Nissan Quoted more than 4k to a guy for the complete upgrade (everything included). But the guy who went to Jax to get his done said it was like 2k for him. AAMCO said they will do the 5spd conversion for 800.00 (Parts NOT included)

Ben: I think it would be WELL worth it. I think upgrading your vb is not only supposed to give speed, but also increase the life of the tranny itself. And, you will definatally be pleased with the sporty shifts. I dont know the #'s it'll take off your 1/4th, but you will notice it and it will make a significant difference.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:18 PM

Re: Deezo, Ben..

Deezo: Nissan Quoted more than 4k to a guy for the complete upgrade (everything included). But the guy who went to Jax to get his done said it was like 2k for him. AAMCO said they will do the 5spd conversion for 800.00 (Parts NOT included)

DAYUM!!!!
Old 08-06-2001, 03:24 PM

Re: Deezo, Ben..

Ben: I think it would be WELL worth it. I think upgrading your vb is not only supposed to give speed, but also increase the life of the tranny itself. And, you will definatally be pleased with the sporty shifts. I dont know the #'s it'll take off your 1/4th, but you will notice it and it will make a significant difference.
Thanks, I guess I'll take a look into that later on, I got other mods to pay off, got to find tires for my 18" Konig Verdicts and somewhere to get my spoiler painted and installed.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:34 PM

Ben - Tires

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
Thanks, I guess I'll take a look into that later on, I got other mods to pay off, got to find tires for my 18" Konig Verdicts and somewhere to get my spoiler painted and installed.
If your looking for a good price go down to Discount Tires..I got 4 Nankang Tires 225/45/17 for 83 bucks a peice. Nankang is new on the market but is supposed to be really good. They fell good so far on my max.

The only downside is their H-Speed Rated. But does that even matter ? Theirs proly only a tiny diff. between the h and the z rated I doubt you could tell. They stay accurate to my odometer and are really grippy. The ride is also surprisingly smooth for 17x8 wheels.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:41 PM

For starters: 5-spd conversion $1000-$1500 in parts and you can do it yourself. Search for posts by CBR2 He helped somebody actually do one on a 4th gen. He has a write up that he'll email you.

Second: the VB does not give speed, hp, or anything like that. Don switches out some springs in the VB to increase their resistance, so when it shifts it shifts harder and faster, which means the car is out of gear for a shorter time and grinds gears shorter, so it does increase the life of the tranny. All it's good for is lifespan and quickening shifts. It'll take a couple tenths off the 1/4 probably, but not because of added power. Your car will still dyno the same.

Third: I would go with Don's VB over anybody elses because they just change the springs "blind" meaning they didn't test different configurations on a Maxima like Don did, they just do what they do to all autos. (Level 10 may have tested, I'm not sure, but since Don's is $150 less, it doesn't matter.)

Fourth: I'm planning to convert to 5-speed, because an upgraded 5-speed is still faster than an upgraded auto. To see what I'm talking about check my posts in this thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=1
Old 08-06-2001, 05:01 PM

Reply to Sith Max

Originally posted by SithMax

For starters: 5-spd conversion $1000-$1500 in parts and you can do it yourself. Search for posts by CBR2 He helped somebody actually do one on a 4th gen. He has a write up that he'll email you.

Second: the VB does not give speed, hp, or anything like that. Don switches out some springs in the VB to increase their resistance, so when it shifts it shifts harder and faster, which means the car is out of gear for a shorter time and grinds gears shorter, so it does increase the life of the tranny. All it's good for is lifespan and quickening shifts. It'll take a couple tenths off the 1/4 probably, but not because of added power. Your car will still dyno the same.

Third: I would go with Don's VB over anybody elses because they just change the springs "blind" meaning they didn't test different configurations on a Maxima like Don did, they just do what they do to all autos. (Level 10 may have tested, I'm not sure, but since Don's is $150 less, it doesn't matter.)

Fourth: I'm planning to convert to 5-speed, because an upgraded 5-speed is still faster than an upgraded auto. To see what I'm talking about check my posts in this thread:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=1
First of all: If you read what I said, I stated that the price varies depending on who does it.

Secondly: I agree completely with you about what the vb upgrade does. I know it doesnt add Horse Power. Its a different and unique upgrade. It quickens your car through better shifting. Period.

Third: I disagree. I am sure Don has made his VB Upgrade to work to its fullest potential. Thats wonderful. But how do you know that AAMCO doesnt have a book on certain procedures for each car ? How do you know the guy their doesnt have a maxima, or knows nothing about them ? And even if he doesnt, hes a certified and licensed mechanic who knows what he's doing. If I felt that my VB could be shifting better, All I have to do is drive down their, and have him adjust it. So lets see here.

Pro: Its 180 instead of Don's 450
Pro: It's locally done, conveinent, & no shipping fee's
Pro: HE does all the work. If I went w/ Don's upgrade, I'd have to take off my VB myself, and put it back on myself, or pay someone to do it.

Con: Nothing unless you consider him not having a maxima a con.

Fourth: Totally Disagree w/ you. I dont give a D*mn if you have all the mod's in the world, If you cant shift, you lose to an auto. All maxima's are given the same power. All the stick does is allow you to get more out of your gears. And if your a novice, you will screw up, thus getting beaten by the auto.

You are intitled to your opinion, and so am I. All i'm trying to do is be factual and express myself.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:23 PM

Re: Reply to Sith Max

First of all: If you read what I said, I stated that the price varies depending on who does it.

Secondly: I agree completely with you about what the vb upgrade does. I know it doesnt add Horse Power. Its a different and unique upgrade. It quickens your car through better shifting. Period.

Third: I disagree. I am sure Don has made his VB Upgrade to work to its fullest potential. Thats wonderful. But how do you know that AAMCO doesnt have a book on certain procedures for each car ? How do you know the guy their doesnt have a maxima, or knows nothing about them ? And even if he doesnt, hes a certified and licensed mechanic who knows what he's doing. If I felt that my VB could be shifting better, All I have to do is drive down their, and have him adjust it. So lets see here.

Pro: Its 180 instead of Don's 450
Pro: It's locally done, conveinent, & no shipping fee's
Pro: HE does all the work. If I went w/ Don's upgrade, I'd have to take off my VB myself, and put it back on myself, or pay someone to do it.

Con: Nothing unless you consider him not having a maxima a con.

Fourth: Totally Disagree w/ you. I dont give a D*mn if you have all the mod's in the world, If you cant shift, you lose to an auto. All maxima's are given the same power. All the stick does is allow you to get more out of your gears. And if your a novice, you will screw up, thus getting beaten by the auto.

You are intitled to your opinion, and so am I. All i'm trying to do is be factual and express myself.
1) Not trying to cause trouble. Just trying to spread the good news. I know I want a conversion... And while I did quote you, I wasn't directing my post only at you (or in a negative way towards anyone) so PLEEZ don't be offended.

2)

3) Heck, maybe you're right about the VB. Honestly, I'm considering it just for those reasons, but I do know that it wasn't tested on a Max. (Somebody asked the mechanic at one of these places, they do pretty much the same thing to all of them.) But you're right, if it does the job, why complain?

4) Well, now you're getting into race hypotheticals. If a Ferrari has a bad driver, you can win. But if they're the same driver, no way. And I'm not talking racing either. A manual transmission physically puts more power down to the wheels over an auto period, whether it's the dyno or the track or the highway. The automatic's shifting is powered exclusively off of the engine, while a manual is not, therefore less power loss. Not to mention the added 100+ pounds... As current technology stands I'm not aware of any way to get an auto to put down as much power as a manual, and if you could I can't see it being reliable, because high stall torque convertors are a ***** in stop and go traffic along with whatever else you'd have to do to the thing. Tiptronic is a step in the right direction, but still not there yet. If you check out stats of cars stock, you'll see that with different trannies they perform differently. Usually there's a tenth or two difference between Manual and Tip. with the auto falling further behind in the 0-60. And these are the stats the company puts out. Why do you think the Ford Taurus SHO 3.0 manual performs about the same as the 3.2 auto? Because while the auto has more power it also loses more power.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:42 PM

Re: Re: Reply to Sith Max

1) Not trying to cause trouble. Just trying to spread the good news. I know I want a conversion... And while I did quote you, I wasn't directing my post only at you (or in a negative way towards anyone) so PLEEZ don't be offended.

2)

3) Heck, maybe you're right about the VB. Honestly, I'm considering it just for those reasons, but I do know that it wasn't tested on a Max. (Somebody asked the mechanic at one of these places, they do pretty much the same thing to all of them.) But you're right, if it does the job, why complain?

4) Well, now you're getting into race hypotheticals. If a Ferrari has a bad driver, you can win. But if they're the same driver, no way. And I'm not talking racing either. A manual transmission physically puts more power down to the wheels over an auto period, whether it's the dyno or the track or the highway. The automatic's shifting is powered exclusively off of the engine, while a manual is not, therefore less power loss. Not to mention the added 100+ pounds... As current technology stands I'm not aware of any way to get an auto to put down as much power as a manual, and if you could I can't see it being reliable, because high stall torque convertors are a ***** in stop and go traffic along with whatever else you'd have to do to the thing. Tiptronic is a step in the right direction, but still not there yet. If you check out stats of cars stock, you'll see that with different trannies they perform differently. Usually there's a tenth or two difference between Manual and Tip. with the auto falling further behind in the 0-60. And these are the stats the company puts out. Why do you think the Ford Taurus SHO 3.0 manual performs about the same as the 3.2 auto? Because while the auto has more power it also loses more power.
SithMax-

I almost completely agree with what you've just said. I'm glad I got to discuss this w/ you rather than useless argueing. Good Luck w/your conversion, I'm sure it'll be well worth it for you.

If only people my age would discuss differences instead of verbally attacking with useless arguements...being a young person I've tried both and this way seems to work the best.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:49 PM

Re: Reply to Sith Max

Preach on Craig!!!!! The autos just don't put the power down the same way and that's all. When the auto is tweaked, look out!
Old 08-06-2001, 07:44 PM

Deezo

Originally posted by deezo
Preach on Craig!!!!! The autos just don't put the power down the same way and that's all. When the auto is tweaked, look out!
Fo'sho
Old 08-06-2001, 08:06 PM

Re: Deezo

Fo'sho
Even though I'm wanting to convert, I'm really torn about it. I love my car just the way she is. She's my baby... It'd be like giving her a sex change... I know I'll wind up keeping the shifter in the glove box for sentimental reasons. Autos are great. But they just can't do what a manual can and it's time for me to move on...
Old 08-06-2001, 09:33 PM

Re: Re: Deezo

Even though I'm wanting to convert, I'm really torn about it. I love my car just the way she is. She's my baby... It'd be like giving her a sex change... I know I'll wind up keeping the shifter in the glove box for sentimental reasons. Autos are great. But they just can't do what a manual can and it's time for me to move on...
Sex change...

Now, D-amnet your gettin me all started up again about the auto not bein able to do what a stick does....

lol
Old 08-06-2001, 10:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: Deezo

Sex change...

Now, D-amnet your gettin me all started up again about the auto not bein able to do what a stick does....

lol
Go outside right now and smoke your tires. Go ahead, I dare you. I know I can't in my auto... (I also need a tranny flush but even still...) It's a control issue. You can't control an auto the way you can a manual. You can drive them very similarly if you want, but there are things you can do in an auto you can't do in a manual. Of course the cruise control in a manual is worthless going up a hill... And in lots of traffic all a manual equates to is a sore leg... They're different. Just admit it. You'll feel much better... hehe
Old 08-06-2001, 11:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Deezo

Go outside right now and smoke your tires. Go ahead, I dare you. I know I can't in my auto... (I also need a tranny flush but even still...) It's a control issue. You can't control an auto the way you can a manual. You can drive them very similarly if you want, but there are things you can do in an auto you can't do in a manual. Of course the cruise control in a manual is worthless going up a hill... And in lots of traffic all a manual equates to is a sore leg... They're different. Just admit it. You'll feel much better... hehe
Yea,Yea,Yea.

Deezo say's you can chirp when going into second with the VB Upgrade, so how ya like them apples,huh!?

Have a girlfriend,woman,ho, in the car ? You'll need that other hand, my friend.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:09 AM

SithMax, your rims are too heavy. A stock Maxima can spin the tires without a problem. Oh and as for chirping second in an auto? Everyone loves it when I do it.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by medicsonic
SithMax, your rims are too heavy. A stock Maxima can spin the tires without a problem. Oh and as for chirping second in an auto? Everyone loves it when I do it.
My rims aren't too heavy at all. I didn't say SPIN, I said SMOKE, meaning SPIN excessively burning rubber creating smoke. Yes, I can *chirp* my tires. (Not going into second, but I don't have a VB.) And no, I don't have a girlfriend. I spend too much time with my car, so driving stick is not a problem for me. Besides, just because it's stick, doesn't mean you HAVE to shift constantly... Autos and Manuals are different. I love them both! I drive and love my Auto, but want to be able to handle more power with more control so I'm probably going to go manual. It's that simple, my Maxima driving friends.
Old 08-07-2001, 06:37 AM

Auto vs Stick

Interesting talk about auto vs stick. I'm a die hard stick fan, I beleive it really gives the car (and the driver) character. Plus, whenever I see a woman who drives stick, that is SUCH a turn on for me!! Jeez, I am impressed when I see that!

Anyhow, back to the subject. Today's car technology has really boosted the capability of the auto. 5 speed autos are becoming available, and BMW in their new 7 series will have a 6 speed auto. Incredible. The powerloss and in-efficiency of the auto is starting to disappear. I've also learned that GM autos are very well built and efficient, too. That's probably why Rolls Royce uses them. Autos are really starting to give sticks a run for their money. When the day is done, an auto will probably have just as much performance and economy, or maybe just less than 5% off of a stick. Not a difference worth dealing with.

As an interesting example, for one year, I'm not sure which, Mercedes benz made their SLK 230 kompressor engine convertible available with a 5 speed manual or 5 speed auto. The acceleration and economy were virtually the same. The only difference was more driver involvement in the manual. Now the choice for the SLK is a 6 speed manual or 5 speed auto, so the manual jumps ahead again, but not for long.

Soon, the only reason we'll have to buy a stick is for the fun factor. Performance will be a non-issue.

DW
Old 08-07-2001, 07:48 AM

Re: Auto vs Stick

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Interesting talk about auto vs stick. I'm a die hard stick fan, I beleive it really gives the car (and the driver) character. Plus, whenever I see a woman who drives stick, that is SUCH a turn on for me!! Jeez, I am impressed when I see that!

Anyhow, back to the subject. Today's car technology has really boosted the capability of the auto. 5 speed autos are becoming available, and BMW in their new 7 series will have a 6 speed auto. Incredible. The powerloss and in-efficiency of the auto is starting to disappear. I've also learned that GM autos are very well built and efficient, too. That's probably why Rolls Royce uses them. Autos are really starting to give sticks a run for their money. When the day is done, an auto will probably have just as much performance and economy, or maybe just less than 5% off of a stick. Not a difference worth dealing with.

As an interesting example, for one year, I'm not sure which, Mercedes benz made their SLK 230 kompressor engine convertible available with a 5 speed manual or 5 speed auto. The acceleration and economy were virtually the same. The only difference was more driver involvement in the manual. Now the choice for the SLK is a 6 speed manual or 5 speed auto, so the manual jumps ahead again, but not for long.

Soon, the only reason we'll have to buy a stick is for the fun factor. Performance will be a non-issue.

DW
Don't forget about Acura's great Sequential Sport Shift Automatic... It's a tiptronic/auto hybrid that's real nice, very fast, kinda best of both worlds.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:16 AM

Re: Re: Auto vs Stick

Don't forget about Acura's great Sequential Sport Shift Automatic... It's a tiptronic/auto hybrid that's real nice, very fast, kinda best of both worlds.
Just checked out the Mercedes auto tranny and it seems very similar to the Acura. Gotta love the future...
Old 08-07-2001, 08:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Auto vs Stick

Although I'm not certain, I'm wiling to bet that the 5 speed auto unit inside the acura is a Mercedes built unit. I know the Jaguars XJR uses The Mercedes 5 speed auto as well. Those Benzes. Whenever they do something, they tend to do it very well . . . .I guess its easy for them because their cutomer base has not so much a concern about cost.

DW

Just checked out the Mercedes auto tranny and it seems very similar to the Acura. Gotta love the future...
Old 08-07-2001, 09:24 AM

CVT

... Gotta love the future...
The future is not automatic, not stick, not Shiftronic. The future is the Continuously Variable Transmission. This is not a new idea, but one which has been tried on several car models. In the past they have been low-power econoboxes. That is changing. Nissan already sells V6 vehicles in non-US markets with CVT.

From Motor Trend, February 2000, page 28...
The slick powertrain pairs an advanced 3.0 liter DOHC direct-injection V-6 engine with Nissan's revolutionary Extroid CVT gearbox. This beltless CVT,on sale shortly in Japan and ultimately heading to the US as well, is the only production-ready transmission of its kind capable of handling the stress of a large-displacement, high-output engine.

For further information, go to
http://www.roadtest.co.nz/e991001.htm
http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/pr_...rmini/cvt.html
http://www.ulb.ac.be/sma/SiteMoteur/CVT/CVTstudy.html
http://www.ukcar.com/features/tech/g...CVT_roller.htm
Old 08-07-2001, 10:08 AM

Leave it to Danny B. to be King of all... He's the anti-SprintMax! wait til SprintMax sees what I've been saying...
Old 08-07-2001, 02:09 PM
Kevlo for President

Leave it to Danny B. to be King of all...
ya he is the king, he knows all...

Quick Reply: VB auto vs Stick