4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

putting an upgraded fuel pump on a N/A car

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Too obsessed

putting an upgraded fuel pump on a N/A car

would that cause a problem? putting a fuel pump thats meant for F/I cars on an N/A car? like that warlborough (spelling ) fuel pump? what if i just put one of those in? would it help anything? would i notice gains? would it hurt anything? just wondering if anyone has done it
Old 11-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

Originally Posted by busterdawg22
would that cause a problem? putting a fuel pump thats meant for F/I cars on an N/A car? like that warlborough (spelling ) fuel pump? what if i just put one of those in? would it help anything? would i notice gains? would it hurt anything? just wondering if anyone has done it
Well...

Depending on which walbro pump you get (there are multiple variants that can go in a Max) you may have higher base fuel pressure than normal. The consequences of this are as follows:

While the engines of fuel-injected cars as a general rule cannot be flooded unless they are somehow out of spec, you may find that you are getting slight flooding. This is worst-case. If you are running higher fuel pressure than normal, fuel injector output may increase, causing you to run rich. Running rich isn't the worst thing on earth, but it can rob your car of power in the short term , flood your spark plugs and render your catalytic converter useless in the long term (if you have too much unspent fuel in the exhaust stream).

I ran with larger injectors and a larger fuel pump for a couple weeks. There is a definite difference, but not a particularly GOOD one in my case.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Too obsessed

Originally Posted by RichMax
Well...

Depending on which walbro pump you get (there are multiple variants that can go in a Max) you may have higher base fuel pressure than normal. The consequences of this are as follows:

While the engines of fuel-injected cars as a general rule cannot be flooded unless they are somehow out of spec, you may find that you are getting slight flooding. This is worst-case. If you are running higher fuel pressure than normal, fuel injector output may increase, causing you to run rich. Running rich isn't the worst thing on earth, but it can rob your car of power in the short term , flood your spark plugs and render your catalytic converter useless in the long term (if you have too much unspent fuel in the exhaust stream).

I ran with larger injectors and a larger fuel pump for a couple weeks. There is a definite difference, but not a particularly GOOD one in my case.
so basically what you're saying is that stock is the way to go? i have almost every mod you can do to a N/A maxima besides headers and NOS. so dropping any of the walbro pumps in my car would be a bad idea for sure? at what point do you need to upgrade? only when you have NOS or forced induction?
Old 11-04-2006, 05:51 PM

yeah im curious of this too, for when mine craps out i'd like to know whats best to replace it with for someone who does hard driving on their n/a.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The stock pump is good for over 250 WHP so you're not even close to maxing it out.
Old 11-04-2006, 06:43 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

gains, no. But if you wanted to run one I recommend getting an AFPR to bring the FP back down to 3 bar. Chances are the new one will raise the pressure slightly so the new regualtor will fix that. (shameless plug: I can get you an AFPR for $40).
Old 11-04-2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
The stock pump is good for over 250 WHP so you're not even close to maxing it out.
ah, alright. well what fuel pumps are people getting that are OEM replacements? or is it not too expensive at the dealership?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:38 PM

I just put in a "Master" fuel pump. Made in Japan, $170.

This pump puts out. I feel a big improvement in HP.

My 2c. if you change the fuel pressure then you need a new code on the ECU. The stock ECU assumes a fuel pressure of 35lbs in all it's injector and timing computations. If you up the pressure then you fool the ECU into running rich.

But all you're really doing is working the cr@p out of the pressure regulator. Has anyone measured a pressure increase?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:39 PM

... as Jon said...
Old 11-04-2006, 08:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by xlr8r
I just put in a "Master" fuel pump. Made in Japan, $170.

This pump puts out. I feel a big improvement in HP.

My 2c. if you change the fuel pressure then you need a new code on the ECU. The stock ECU assumes a fuel pressure of 35lbs in all it's injector and timing computations. If you up the pressure then you fool the ECU into running rich.

But all you're really doing is working the cr@p out of the pressure regulator. Has anyone measured a pressure increase?
None of what you said here makes any sense or is correct. I don't even know where to start...
Old 11-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

Originally Posted by nismology
None of what you said here makes any sense or is correct. I don't even know where to start...

I am DEFINITELY going to have to go with him on this one

Bosch makes replacements IIRC... Our stock fuel pumps aren't exactly the most unreliable on earth. Are you replacing it because you want to mod the car (e.g., add air a la FI, etc), or what? I agree with what the others have said- unless your application requires MORE fuel than stock, upgrading to a higher-pressure pump in is overly costly at best and foolhardy at worst- for a near-stock N/A application you will need ADDITIONAL hardware to LOWER fuel pressure back down to stock levels.

AutoBlown and PepGirls carry replacement pumps as well.