4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Modified engine mounts for lowered cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 08:28 PM
Org Lurker

Modified engine mounts for lowered cars?

Since I've lowered my car with Ksport coilovers (approx. 2-1/2" drop) I've had the typical accelerated CV joint wear. I'm now on my second right axle and its making noise again. Because lowering the car raises the wheel hub centerline in relation to the transmission I was wondering if anybody has made engine mount brackets that RAISE the engine and tranny to attempt to correct the negative angle. I don't want to keep replacing CV joints every year nor do I want to lose the perfect stance I've achieved with the coilovers. I would imagine that raising the engine and tranny only 1-2 inches would help eliminate this problem.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Wild for Width

I think just shelling out and getting raxles and swapping them both out will be cheaper both in cost and in frustration in the long run.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
I think just shelling out and getting raxles and swapping them both out will be cheaper both in cost and in frustration in the long run.
how long would they last with a big drop(2.5+ inches)?
Old 11-06-2006, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by dukelubas
Since I've lowered my car with Ksport coilovers (approx. 2-1/2" drop) I've had the typical accelerated CV joint wear. I'm now on my second right axle and its making noise again. Because lowering the car raises the wheel hub centerline in relation to the transmission I was wondering if anybody has made engine mount brackets that RAISE the engine and tranny to attempt to correct the negative angle. I don't want to keep replacing CV joints every year nor do I want to lose the perfect stance I've achieved with the coilovers. I would imagine that raising the engine and tranny only 1-2 inches would help eliminate this problem.
Good question.

Offset bushing/mounts maybe?

subscribing...
Old 11-06-2006, 06:33 AM
Org Lurker

Originally Posted by ewuzh
Good question.

Offset bushing/mounts maybe?

subscribing...
Yeah, exactly. I haven't done any work on my mounts so I don't know their configuration or dimensions. I may just pick up a set to play around with and see what I can come up with.

The problem with getting Raxles is that there's no guarantee the same thing won't happen to them as well. Since lowering the car creates this "problem" and just replacing the CV joints is nothing but a temporary solution, I'm looking for something that will correct the alignment over the long run. Raising the engine and tranny is really the only way to do it.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:43 AM

Yeah, exactly. I haven't done any work on my mounts so I don't know their configuration or dimensions. I may just pick up a set to play around with and see what I can come up with.

The problem with getting Raxles is that there's no guarantee the same thing won't happen to them as well. Since lowering the car creates this "problem" and just replacing the CV joints is nothing but a temporary solution, I'm looking for something that will correct the alignment over the long run. Raising the engine and tranny is really the only way to do it.
I agree completely. By the way, I have raxles and after a year, the passenger side joint grinds during left turns, so I would love to find a way to eliminate the source of the problem too. Just because they are expensive raxles, doesn't mean the CV joints are magically capable of handling a 30 degree angle on a daily basis.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:12 AM

The only thing I can tell you is, stick with a quality axle and expect to replace them regardless of how good the axles are. Lowered cars all have that symtpom of going through CV joints, it just comes with lowering your car. If you dont wanna go though Axles then go up a bit to like a 1 1/2" drop and be done with it.

-matt
Old 11-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Donating i30 Owner

... dont raxles have lifetime guarentee?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Wild for Width

I agree that raxles are not "extreme drop-proof" but in IMO that is the avenue that would take before fabricating engine mounts and then dealing with the changes in position. For instance, if my engine was raised 1-2 inches my EVAP purge control valve would be smashed into the FSTB. I realize that a FSTB is not necessary but I am just mentioning how much 1-2 inches can be.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by Fr33way™
I agree that raxles are not "extreme drop-proof" but in IMO that is the avenue that would take before fabricating engine mounts and then dealing with the changes in position. For instance, if my engine was raised 1-2 inches my EVAP purge control valve would be smashed into the FSTB. I realize that a FSTB is not necessary but I am just mentioning how much 1-2 inches can be.
lmao.. for the guys with F/I that could be quite a PITA I imagine as well.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by HomerMAC
... dont raxles have lifetime guarentee?
Sure, but it's not like I enjoy pulling off my hub and yanking out the axles every half a year.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Raising the engine would hurt your center of gravity much more than it would help your axles. It might also cause fitment issues with your exhaust. You don't even have that much room to raise it before it smacks into your hood anyway.

Either raise the car a bit or just get Raxles and pray. They're not drop-proof, as has been said, but they're more durable by enough of a margin to offset the price difference two or three times over. All-new joints, excellent boots, and high-quality fully synthetic Amsoil grease go a long, long way...

Also, remember to go EASY on them in the winter for the first 10-15 minutes of driving after a cold start.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:28 AM

Well here's one alternative solution:

http://www.highangledriveline.com
Old 11-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Org Lurker

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Raising the engine would hurt your center of gravity much more than it would help your axles. It might also cause fitment issues with your exhaust. You don't even have that much room to raise it before it smacks into your hood anyway.
We're not talking through the roof. I've got at least 1-1/2" to my STB. Say everything is raised 1", this being the amount I'd have to raise the vehicle to eliminate the problem, I think it'd be worth it. The exhaust might be a problem, but I'm definitely up for trying a new thing.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:47 PM

You won't eliminate the problem by raising it 1". You'll just reduce it. For the amount of money it'd cost and how much it'd hurt your handling by raising the center of gravity, buying Raxles axles would be a much better deal.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Org Lurker

Originally Posted by d00df00d
You won't eliminate the problem by raising it 1". You'll just reduce it. For the amount of money it'd cost and how much it'd hurt your handling by raising the center of gravity, buying Raxles axles would be a much better deal.
I understand the problem won't be completely eliminated. I'm not sure it'll hurt the performance as much as you make it out. The only way to really see is to try it because there's certainly no way you or I could even calculate the difference in moments created by the two different CG's unless you have intimate knowledge on the exact internal weight distribution of the engine and tranny. I know you have Ksports but you must not be lowered enough that this isn't causing you a problem. I can't see spending hundreds of dollars each year for a band-aid.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Ichiban King

you guys obviously dont know how much the way the engine is positioned affects performance..

just to give you an idea in the new FF-D platform for the Altima they lowered both the QR and VQ down a marginal amount and it practically eliminated TQ steer and improved handling through turns by means of lower center of gravity paired with previously mentioned improvement. It was like half an inch, or perhaps an inch at most..

You want to raise the engine, which is going in the wrong direction all together, if anything you'd want to lower the engine for better center of gravity. We cannot..

So give it up, I'm tired of reading on this.

EDIT: "The engine mounting position is 30 millimeters lower." So more like 1.18 in.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:56 PM
Org Lurker

Originally Posted by Apparition
So give it up, I'm tired of reading on this.
Nobody's spent a dime here, just speculating. And if you're tired of reading on it, STOP CLICKING ON THE THREAD.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:04 PM

I know you have Ksports but you must not be lowered enough that this isn't causing you a problem. I can't see spending hundreds of dollars each year for a band-aid.

I'm actually lowered almost as much as you are...
Old 11-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Ichiban King

Nobody's spent a dime here, just speculating. And if you're tired of reading on it, STOP CLICKING ON THE THREAD.
yeah I guess I just never get tired of flaming, its become a leisure time activity for me..

oh, and stop speculating.. you're speculation no longer has any grounds.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Org Lurker

Originally Posted by Apparition
yeah I guess I just never get tired of flaming, its become a leisure time activity for me..

oh, and stop speculating.. you're speculation no longer has any grounds.
Grounds for what... that this modification would actually work or that it would hurt performance. The original post never said anything about performance. This thread wasn't created to question how such a modification would affect the performance.

If you've got nothing else constructive to contribute except flaming me, then stop wasting your time and leave the thread.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:20 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

Moving the engine is going to accomplish nothing. Even if it didnt affect performance, which it will, its just moving the problem. Instead of extensive axle wear you will just stress other components. Its a stupid idea, raise the car up a notch, buy raxles, or deal with it.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:05 PM
Ichiban King

Originally Posted by scubasteve
Moving the engine is going to accomplish nothing. Even if it didnt affect performance, which it will, its just moving the problem. Instead of extensive axle wear you will just stress other components. Its a stupid idea, raise the car up a notch, buy raxles, or deal with it.
^^^ that's all I was getting at but at the same time, WTF are you thinking modding a car if you don't care about performance. sounds a bit illogical to me, but w/e. If you're going for show then just deal with it, after all the idea behind your car is superficial anyways.

Everyone I can think of, BlackMaxima, ManualMaxima, VIP_Maxima and a ton more all deal with the damn CV's and don't complain.. It's a fact of life, if there was an easy way to get around it, it most likely would've been done before.

Later.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:15 AM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

Lowering a DD that much is kind of retarded anyway, but most that do it (as those noted above) dont come on here with dumb ideas and complain.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:44 AM
Org Lurker

Originally Posted by scubasteve
Lowering a DD that much is kind of retarded anyway, but most that do it (as those noted above) dont come on here with dumb ideas and complain.
You're kidding me right? What kind of assinine response is that?

YOU tell me where I'm complaining about this problem in ANY of my posts. You make it sound like I don't understand that the problem exists because of my own actions.

Thanks for knocking down my "dumb" idea, but everybody idea has to start somewhere. The invention of the light bulb or steam powered engine started somewhere as well. A good majority of those who've thought outside the box have been called idiots for trying something new.

Maybe there's a lack of understanding here. I'm not building a performance race car. My Maxima sees 20+K miles a year. I'm not lowered to the point where my wheels are tucked into my fenders. What do you know - I AM interested in modifications that make the car look good. I AM interested in modifications that make it faster and handle better. Why is it a crime to try and make your car look better??

I'm also interested in modifications that will last a substantial period of time with reasonable durability. If I run into a problem that I think I can fix, I'm certainly going to try.

I'm sorry I even brought it up. All I was doing was asking an F-ing question and I get flamed for it. Here's the reason my post count is so low after being a member for two years. It's impossible to contribute to this community when the community doesn't want to hear it.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Ichiban King

You're kidding me right? What kind of assinine response is that?

YOU tell me where I'm complaining about this problem in ANY of my posts. You make it sound like I don't understand that the problem exists because of my own actions.

Thanks for knocking down my "dumb" idea, but everybody idea has to start somewhere. The invention of the light bulb or steam powered engine started somewhere as well. A good majority of those who've thought outside the box have been called idiots for trying something new.

Maybe there's a lack of understanding here. I'm not building a performance race car. My Maxima sees 20+K miles a year. I'm not lowered to the point where my wheels are tucked into my fenders. What do you know - I AM interested in modifications that make the car look good. I AM interested in modifications that make it faster and handle better. Why is it a crime to try and make your car look better??

I'm also interested in modifications that will last a substantial period of time with reasonable durability. If I run into a problem that I think I can fix, I'm certainly going to try.

I'm sorry I even brought it up. All I was doing was asking an F-ing question and I get flamed for it. Here's the reason my post count is so low after being a member for two years. It's impossible to contribute to this community when the community doesn't want to hear it.
Listen man, when I first came here some of my best buddies now, used to flame the living hell out of me back then.. but, that's asside from the point. The real deal is, we all have good ideas and bad ones; this one wasn't so great. Don't let that discourage you though man. Just think really hard and do some research on your idea, then say it to yourself so you can hear what other ppl hear and then if you consider all of that and you get flamed, obviously you didn't consider something.

The light bulb wasn't a ridiculous idea, the reason Edison got "flamed" haha, if you will, is that back then people didn't wanna hear about magical light apparatus'. Now, you relating raising engine height to ease stress on CV axles isn't quite in the same boat because it has more negative effects than positive. Did the lightbulb have a contradictory nature like the engine?.. Not IMO. Anyways..
Old 11-07-2006, 07:07 AM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

The original post never said anything about performance. This thread wasn't created to question how such a modification would affect the performance.
I AM interested in modifications that make it faster and handle better. Why is it a crime to try and make your car look better??
Just because YOU didnt mention performance doesnt mean that we wont. And if your interested in performance (im not sure if you are or arent, at this point) then our points about it affecting performance are relevant.

Ideas are subject to scrutany. If you cant take the heat, get out of the fire.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:38 AM
SLOW

I don't know how you guys are having such problems with axles. I had my 96 dropped THREE inches in front from March 2001 to Nov 2004 when it got totalled... I had to replace one, perhaps two CV boots (just the boots were bad, not the axle) in that entire span of more than 3.5 years dropped lower, and I guarantee driven harder than anyone else in this thread and probably anyone else on the board. Countless hours on the road course, over 300 drag strip launches including about 200 of those on slicks dropping the clutch from 5500rpm, etc. I never had a problem with an axle once in the 95k miles I put on that car in 3.5 years, just a torn CV boot or two.

My current turbo car now has close to 70 1/4 mile passes on it with over 400whp, also dropped 2.75" inches in front, and was down 2.2" on Tein S-Techs for the last 2 years until I put my Ksports on about 4 months ago. Still haven't had to replace an axle for anything other than my own stupidity of tearing up the threads on one of the axles I had - again, nothing to do with the lowering.

BTW I've never put anything other than cheapo Autozone or Napa axles in the car - Maybe I'm just lucky, who knows. I probably just jinxed myself into axle replacements every 2 weeks now lol. knock on wood.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Maxima Owner

if anything u need to alter the location of the knuckle...uneed something like a ball-joint extender or anything to move the knuckle/hub up ur mount of drop.....2.5" is too much drop anyway...even on coilovers
Old 11-07-2006, 07:50 AM
SLOW

Also, raising the engine 2" or whatever would I think be much more trouble than it's worth. It would, as others said, severely jack your handling moving 400-420lbs worth of engine and transmission, and fluids up higher - raising the center of gravity quite a bit. Who knows what other problems it would cause...