4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I need a "There, there." Carwash and antenna. :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:16 PM

I need a "There, there." Carwash and antenna. :(

I've been through the cw so many times. I've had my car almost seven years now and now my antenna is gone. I look at people who's maxes' antennae don't retract all the way or are torn up and I think proudly to myself, "Because I've maintained mine, it still works like new." Now it's gone! I guess it only takes forgetting one time though. I'm so sad. How expensive is a replacement and how hard is it to replace? How hard are parts to find? Anyone find that their reception is not terribly limited without their antenna? The radio stations still come in decently, honestly. And I use my changer and CD player more than anything. But I'm still sad.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:18 PM
Livin dreams thru his Maxima

check the FS threads man ... good luck ...
Old 11-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Brain phuck

You still listen to 'free radio'?? upgrade to sirius. It will probably be cheaper then buying a new antenna haha.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:44 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=499560
Old 11-09-2006, 03:00 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Old 11-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Difficult is NOT impossible!

What do you have to do to maintain them? I have never done anything to mine, and it still works

Oh and I think I saw the whole antenna mast (I think thats what it was called), with no motor for $24.95 on ebay
Old 11-09-2006, 07:14 PM

Shouldn't be too expensive to fix.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Wild for Width

There is an antenna in the rear windshield.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Wild for Width

.......if you have Bose.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

there there sweetie, everyone makes mistakes. Well not me, I still have my antenna, but I'm sure other people do.

:-)
Old 11-10-2006, 01:04 AM

I never use the radio, aux input is where it's at.

But you gotta be careful with those damn carwashes... at least you didn't leave the sunroof cracked too, huh?

P.S. as previously stated, should be a cheap fix.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:17 AM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

sirius FTMFW. I cant wait to have my antenna shaved, its not even hooked up.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by smotz
You still listen to 'free radio'?? upgrade to sirius. It will probably be cheaper then buying a new antenna haha.
Having started in Radio waaay back, I just can't bring myself to start paying for it! Having said that, my antenna has been out of commision for a while now and I get "decent" reception (aftermarket HU-BOSE R.I.P.).
The antenna is easy to remove and not too hard to take apart either. I took it apart once to replace my mast. Problem is now the motor just runs with the mast retracted, so I just disconnected it.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:12 AM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

Originally Posted by Sounbwoy
Having started in Radio waaay back, I just can't bring myself to start paying for it!
My dad felt the same exact way, and used to bust my chops for having sirius. Not that i didnt expect that, hes 42 years old. So last christmas i bought him sirius, all on my dime, all he has to do is listen to it. By mid january he went out and bought a portable unit, set it up for his upstairs, basement, and still has it in the car. He insisted i let him pay for the extra costs (~12.95 because its 6.00+tax ea for his 2 units).

So basically he pays the standard monthly cost, and he wont go without it. I joked with him a month ago about swapping to XM and he almost had a heart attack. Do yourself the favor, and go to a radioshack and play with their demo. Get it for a month, and after ~3 weeks if you dont like it, simply cancel it and return the unit to RS (or whereever you buy it).

You'll never return it =]
Old 11-10-2006, 08:56 AM

go to pepboys, they have a replacement that looks just like ours for 14.95

Like you, I use my changer more because I dont want my antenna getting bent in the wind
Old 11-10-2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by scubasteve
You'll never return it =]
LOL. I'm in his age range! I've listened to them but I'm just not ready yet. I like listening to my own stuff anyway. Maybe one day tho...
Old 11-10-2006, 11:23 AM

id rather go with xm.. my personal prefereance... but. satellite radio is a good. option... but its always good to be able to listen to local stations... for any traffic. and other stuff...
Old 11-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Bad Mother Fornicator

I have an OEM Nissan one in the package. $30 shipped to you. ($40 from the dealer. Let me know.. Very easy to replace. PM me if you need it.
DJ
Old 11-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Donating i30 Owner

ipod > xm,sirrus,cd changer
=)

you FM reception is not affected with the antenna gone.. its the AM that is affected
Old 11-11-2006, 08:47 PM

Use touchless car washes.
Jae
Old 11-20-2006, 05:12 PM

i thought all maximas had a 2nd antenna in the back window? I kow my 96 max and 99 I30 did(because i ripped my antenna off both in the carwash) and the radio reception was still fine
Old 11-21-2006, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by GCOBBLE
i thought all maximas had a 2nd antenna in the back window? I kow my 96 max and 99 I30 did(because i ripped my antenna off both in the carwash) and the radio reception was still fine
I looked at the back window and happened to notice that what I thought was all defroster/defogger was not defrosting/defogging. I was thinking that part of what I was looking at might be antenna and thinking maybe that's why I still get reception. Maybe the antenna gives you the extra reception you need for long ranges from radio station sources? Has anyone driven way out of dodge and still gotten good reception with a torn up antenna?
Old 11-21-2006, 06:17 AM

Recepetion is decent but only with strong stations.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:16 PM

Mine is disconnected and i get decent reception from the more powerful broadcasting radio stations. it's a real cheap fix.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:27 PM

The antenna is easy to replace, but you need two people. It takes about 5 minutes. You just unscrew the cap on the base stub and then turnt he radio on. You need the second person on the outside to keep the remainder of the antenna from falling on your car and scratching your paint. Then you take the new antenna with the teeth pointed forward or back (I can't remember) and push the end down until it stops. Then you turn the radio off and it will wind the new antenna in. Okay, maybe less than 5 minutes.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxFan
The antenna is easy to replace, but you need two people. It takes about 5 minutes. You just unscrew the cap on the base stub and then turnt he radio on. You need the second person on the outside to keep the remainder of the antenna from falling on your car and scratching your paint. Then you take the new antenna with the teeth pointed forward or back (I can't remember) and push the end down until it stops. Then you turn the radio off and it will wind the new antenna in. Okay, maybe less than 5 minutes.
Can I handle it on my own if I have a remote controlled radio? What do you mean "base of the stub?" That thing screws out? Do you instructions go for the antenna available at Autozone that people have been talking about?
Old 11-25-2006, 06:35 PM
100% chingon

Originally Posted by HomerMAC
ipod > xm,sirrus,cd changer
=)

you FM reception is not affected with the antenna gone.. its the AM that is affected
Actually no, it is the opposite way around. The Bose front end with its diversity setup and the two antennas (screen antenna horizontally polarised, wing antenna vertically polarised) give FM reception way, way beyond the quality of almost all other radios. No fading, no whooshing sounds.
Unfortunately I have to tell you all that because of greedy syndicates running most of the FM stations in the USA, FM stereo will soon be dead, all you will get will be a loud horrible buzzing sound due to the adoption of so called HD radio - they like us to believe HD means High Definition but actually it means High Density, allows them to cram in more of those great voicetracked computer controlled 20 minutes of advertising per hour stations that nowadays populate what used to be radio in the USA.
Here in Monterrey it's even worse so I listen to CDs most of the time.
Probably better to install your own iTrip and listen to your MP3 player instead.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxFan
Check my cardomain page for pics.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2123711/1

I can't get what looks to be the largest cylinder of the antenna out of the thing, man! And I'm not positive that the antenna I got is good. It says it's for Chrysler cars! Got at advance autoparts. I'm gonna check Pep Boys when I get a chance.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:53 AM

You'll need a pair of needle-nosed pliers to loosen the chrome ring that's right on top.
If you don't mind the wait, you can order the exact replacement mast on Ebay.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:03 AM
I30"T"

Hi,

The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago after I put in an after market HU. I forgot the antennae stays up with the cd. Well needless to say it snapped off.

I bought a new one on ebay that was 17 dollars shipped. I'll look for the seller if you need it.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sounbwoy
You'll need a pair of needle-nosed pliers to loosen the chrome ring that's right on top.
If you don't mind the wait, you can order the exact replacement mast on Ebay.
Thanks, but I should have mentioned that I had the chrome ring/sheath off and still could not get that piece out. I didn't use needle-noses, though, and I scratched the paint a little.

But I have the little black plastic piece around the bottom piece of the mast that I can't get out, or I can't see how to get it out. The ring comes off and I can't get anything else to come off.

I should have taken a pic yesterday at that point but I forgot and only got to take these pics right before I went to work this morning.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Preet S 22
Hi,

The same thing happened to me a few weeks ago after I put in an after market HU. I forgot the antennae stays up with the cd. Well needless to say it snapped off.

I bought a new one on ebay that was 17 dollars shipped. I'll look for the seller if you need it.
Thanks, dude. I'm gonna try to make a little video clip of me trying to get that thing off. I don't know where I can post it so people can see it, though.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:54 AM

[QUOTE=Jellyfishian]What do you have to do to maintain them? I have never done anything to mine, and it still works

The maintenance simply consists of putting a few drops of oil on the antenna joints. Also, if you live in a cold area, the antenna's break most often when ice forms on them and the radio is turned off without first getting it off.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:13 AM
I30"T"

Originally Posted by Minimalmaxima
Thanks, dude. I'm gonna try to make a little video clip of me trying to get that thing off. I don't know where I can post it so people can see it, though.
Hey man,

I know exactly what you are talking about. This is the reason I haven't replaced mine yet...........I couldn't get that little piece off either.

I'm going to wait for the weather to get better here and go at it again... I just put some electrical tape on it water doesn't get in.

Here is the one I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...89033502QQrdZ1

Good Luck.

Preet
Old 02-22-2007, 09:17 AM
maxima985spd

18 buck shipped on ebay thats where i got mine. you dont need a new motor

Old 03-01-2007, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by maxima985spd
So how did you get yours in. I can't get the little piece on the top off and then I can't get the remainder of the old antenna out of the shaft. Check these pics. I took the motor and stuff out and tried to get that top slanted piece off and still couldn't get it off.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:31 AM

Old 03-01-2007, 09:41 AM

18.95 on ebay for the oem with regulator........god i love ebay
Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by maxima985spd

oops just saw your post.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:54 AM

Okay so I got so mad I just totally trashed the whole antenna assembly. I mean I beat it to pieces with a hammer. I could not get that friggin piece of the antenna out I found that the aluminum stuff is glued down inthe moulding of the motor and gear casing and I would never have been able to get it out. The remainder of the mast would have had to have come from the top down for me to get it out. So now somebody help me select an assembly to buy on ebay I see this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POWER...89783081QQrdZ1 , but that ain't how mine was made. I did not have all those wires. Just a white plug and the plug into the aluminum part that the mast goes down into.

Quick Reply: I need a "There, there." Carwash and antenna. :(