4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please tell me it's not that bad......

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 12:52 PM

Please tell me it's not that bad......

Well, it finally happened. I have being hearing this clanking noises sometimes coming from the front (as I thought left side) of my 96 SE for a couple of weeks. After reading about this problem in this forum a figured it out that it was time to replace my axels. I guess I waited too long. Yesterday I was driving back home and I heard a couple of clanks and then the front started making this screeching noise like two worn out gears on each other. And then BUM …. There was a laud clank and the front wheels lock. The transmission was also stuck in some high gear and wouldn’t go in to neutral. I got under the car and found that my drivers side axle is broken right where it goes in to the transmission. The thick end of the axle is still going inside the transmission but the seal is gone and it’s just wobbling in the hole. Sorry for a long story.
Please someone tell me that I just need an new axle and non the whole transmission replaced/rebuilt.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:01 PM

Well you should be ok. Hopefully it didnt do too much damage to the tranny. You need a new axle obviously but if you can pull the pieces out of the tranny and pop on the new axle you'll know for sure if it's shot or not. Should be ok with a new axle IMO. Good luck
Old 11-12-2006, 01:06 PM

The thing that bothers me is that it's stuck in gear even though the axle is lose and can't be holding anything inside the tranny. Now I think that pulling the axle out wouldn't realease the stuck tranny ;(. Am I wrong?
Old 11-12-2006, 01:12 PM

Good question. I'm not sure about that. I've heard of some people transmissions locking like that and being messed up. Some I've heard dont cause a problem. It may depend on your car. Either way it'll need work done to it. Get an axle from the junkyard for cheap. See if the tranny works when the axle is switched. If it does then make sure that axle is in good enough shape to stay on. If it doesnt work well.....new tranny
Old 11-12-2006, 01:18 PM

Thanks a lot Cdg2125.
But wouldn't I know if the tranny is messed up after pulling out the broken axle and without installing a junk yard one? Does the tranny needs to have an axle installed to work properly? Are you saying that rotating the wheel with a new axle may unlock the tranny?
Old 11-12-2006, 01:20 PM

Im not sure. I think the tranny will work without an axle, obviously needs to be jacked tho. The install of a new axle would be fairly easy. You just need to swap the axle, but I dont know what will happen with the tranny. It might unlock. Have you tried starting the car? Have you tried just trying to shift the car without it on?
Old 11-12-2006, 01:35 PM

You should be able to move the shifter either way. Usually when a drive axle fails, it will just not move. They will shear inside and not go anymore. There is exceptions. How much is the inner axle moving in the trans? It should move a little (in the up and down position), but not much. What happens if you try to drive the wheels off the ground?

If nothing else, replace the drive shaft. Also, you should drain the trans fluid and look for debris. If the problem is inside the trans, you will have metal evidence. It is possible for the axle to have damaged something inside the tranny. Do some investigating, because you do have a potential trans failure.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:35 PM

The car starts fine with the clutch realeased. The shifter goes left and right like in neutral and also goes in to 3rd gear slot but nowhere else. The tranny is stuck in any shifter position though. I haven't tried pulling the axle out. It rains hear and I don't have a garage.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:37 PM

Also the trans will operate w/o an axle, just don't over do it because you will leak out oil. In my experience, when the seal pops out and flops there, and an axle has a lot of play, it is because a differential carrier bearing has failed. Just something to consider. If you do try it w/o an axle, listen for any bad noises coming from the trans. A s***hiscope will help you too. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2006, 01:45 PM

Well the axle's not really important. It's broken so it needs to come out. Take it apart and try running the car for a mintue to see if you can shift the tranny. Make sure you have something to catch the oil tho. Also, it might only work once you get a new axle in and can roll the car. With the axle moving it could help unlock the tranny.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Maintenance Monster

I'm guessing the problem is something broke (gears, diff pinion shaft, etc) inside the tranny, and now the internals are a mess. You may have a cracked housing. You will need a tranny rebuild in that case, and it would be a good idea to find someone who does a lot of maximas who can get you used parts. Regular transmission shops will run up a big bill quickly if they need to buy new parts other than synchros or bearings. By the sound of it this tranny will need at least a couple of gears replaced. The broken bits can fall down in the housing and jam the shifter. I suggest not attempting to drive the car or shift the gears at all since that will only cause further damage inside the tranny.

It's not good news, but it's not the end of the world either.

Dave
Old 11-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Well if he needs a new tranny anyway why wouldnt you want him to try to shift it? Maybe it didnt break like that. Why just spring for a new tranny when you dont know if this one is completely shot?
Old 11-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Maintenance Monster

Well trying to shift it is no big deal. But forcing it into gear will cause more damage.

Dave
Old 11-12-2006, 08:11 PM

But you said it's already shot. If you think it's shot why shouldnt he try to get it into gear?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:18 PM
I support for what?

Originally Posted by Cdg2125
But you said it's already shot. If you think it's shot why shouldnt he try to get it into gear?
It could be repairable in the current condition it is in. Forcing it into gear and such can damage more internals.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mxrider52
It could be repairable in the current condition it is in. Forcing it into gear and such can damage more internals.
Its stuck in gear, hes tryin to get it out... In any case, getting a used tranny would probably be cheaper than rebuilding it.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:41 PM
I support for what?

Originally Posted by 96i30azn
Its stuck in gear, hes tryin to get it out... In any case, getting a used tranny would probably be cheaper than rebuilding it.
Well it the same thing. In gear or out forcing it will cause more damage.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:43 PM

Ok that does make sense about not causing more damage but, I'm just saying if its already broken it needs to be fixed. Having it fixed as is, is going to cost more than an other tranny anyway so he might as well try to get it out of gear and see what happens.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:00 PM
I support for what?

Ok that does make sense about not causing more damage but, I'm just saying if its already broken it needs to be fixed. Having it fixed as is, is going to cost more than an other tranny anyway so he might as well try to get it out of gear and see what happens.
Technically not true. If your gonna buy a used 5 speed. Might as well get it rebuilt as the 5 speeds have diff. bearing failure and that easily an addition 300-500 on top of the price for the trans.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:40 AM

Thanks everyone. I probably do need a new tranny. I started looking for one and a place to replace it. If anyone could suggest a good shop in DC/Maryland that would be great.
I would try swapping it myself but I don't have a garage and I don't think it is feasible to do on the street....
Old 11-13-2006, 07:13 AM

im having this problem right know my **** is clicking like there is no tomarrow.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:39 AM
shift_Puff

listen, just call a couple of places and see if you can get quotes over the phone, but most shops want to see the car. I think the tranny needs more then just bearing. If the wheels locked up, it means something must have ripped up somewhere in the tranny. About forcing it in and out of gear is up to u, but all i know is that if u don't mess with it, you'll mess up less in there and the bill will be smaller. I suggest u look for a VLSD Tranny from a canadian 5spd SE, I30T US and cdn Spec(manual) or a 2001 Anniversary Edition. If slight performance of a VLSD(both wheels turn together pulling u out of curves faster without spinning the inner wheel) is not worth it for you then just find a regular 5 speed, check the bearings and put it in. my 0.02
Old 11-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Maintenance Monster

There could be fewer reusable parts left by creating additional damage.

Dave
Old 11-13-2006, 09:48 AM

aha. It all makes sense now haha. Sorry about being a P.I.T.A
Old 11-13-2006, 10:11 AM

Has anyone suggested checking the shift linkage? It may be worthwhile to uncouple the shifter from the tranny and try and work it from under the car.

If I were in your shoes, I'd drop the tranny and carry to a couple of shops (They will rip you on diagnostics if it's in the car), and call a couple of junkyards to price a replacement. If you can find one used with under 100k miles, it will last longer than the rest of the car. I would not spend more than a couple hundred on repair if for no other reason than that the tranny is not a weak point on this vehicle, there are thousands of good 5 speeds in junkyards, and a handful of VLSD units if you want a challenge!

I don't envy you, but hang in there and use this forum to save some misery!
Old 11-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Maintenance Monster

Originally Posted by 96gxe5spd
Has anyone suggested checking the shift linkage? It may be worthwhile to uncouple the shifter from the tranny and try and work it from under the car.
While it's certainly not a bad idea to inspect it, his description "the front started making this screeching noise like two worn out gears on each other...There was a laud clank and the front wheels lock" suggests that a gear stripped or the differential grenaded. If it was simply a shifter linkage problem I don't think any of that would have happened.

If I were in your shoes, I'd drop the tranny and carry to a couple of shops (They will rip you on diagnostics if it's in the car), and call a couple of junkyards to price a replacement. If you can find one used with under 100k miles, it will last longer than the rest of the car. I would not spend more than a couple hundred on repair if for no other reason than that the tranny is not a weak point on this vehicle, there are thousands of good 5 speeds in junkyards, and a handful of VLSD units if you want a challenge!
There are thousands of 5 speeds in junkyards. Whether they are good or not I think we can argue about. I recommend in the strongest way possible to get a good return guarantee from the seller and immediately take the tranny to a transmission shop to be opened and inspected. Many, many used trannys really are knocking on the door for a rebuild, and considering that half the cost is removing and installing the thing, now is the time to get that used tranny rebuilt.

Dave
Old 11-13-2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by dgeesaman
There are thousands of 5 speeds in junkyards. Whether they are good or not I think we can argue about.....
Dave
I called like 10 junk yards in Maryland/DC area and non of them had a 5-speed. I only found one in CT for $525 shipped.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:20 PM
I support for what?

car-part.com is your friend...
Old 11-16-2006, 12:50 PM

So I finally got it to a mechanic yesterday ( got my paycheck on the 15th) and he confirmed that the transmission is gone. He also said that it needs a clutch kit and a clutch slave cylinder since they usually get damaged from a bad transmission. And this i find confusing. The clutch is 2 years old and I never had a problem with it. The differential bearing that failed is on the output side of the transmission so why would it damage the clutch? Am I wrong?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Maintenance Monster

The clutch is probably fine. I have never seen a bad diff bearing damage any part of the clutch or throwout fork. While I can understand the mechanic including the clutch kit in the estimate (if the wear is anything significant, now is the right time to change it), I don't understand pricing out a slave cylinder at all. I find that recommendation a little concerning.

BTW, expect both diff bearings to be badly spalled, and the input shaft bearings damaged from the debris in the oil.

Dave
Old 11-16-2006, 01:09 PM

no idea, but if all else fails get a second opinion of possible. did you know the transmission was going out?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:28 PM

It was a little noisy (could hear the engine noise difference when the clutch was depressed and released in nuetral). But from the clunks I suspected just the axle not the whole tranny to go...

Originally Posted by nguyen925
no idea, but if all else fails get a second opinion of possible. did you know the transmission was going out?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:47 AM

Thanks everyone for the help. Appreciated.
Here is the outcome of the story: The differential driver's side bearing fails. The bearing is completelly gone !!! I can see only the racers on the case and on the diff. shaft. The differential assemby is just dangling inside. I assume there was some gear damage as well. All the chunks of the chewed up bearing probably got spread all over the inside. So, trying forcibly shift would definetelyy cause more damage. The mechanic was right, I did need a clutch kit. He showed me my old plates and they were all scratched and worn out.

I got a VLSD from 98 SE with 80k for $550. Plus $475 labor + $130 axle + $140 clutch kit = $1295 out of my pocket

I found