4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car making noise in IDLE

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 08:17 PM

Car making noise in IDLE

My stick shift 1995 maxima SE is making noise in the Engine when it's on idle. The noise i think is coming from the left side of the engine. When i step on the clutch and press it all the way in, the noise completely disappears. The noise that it makes is similar to this one in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwZf...h=Maximaintake
Old 11-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Wild for Width

Imput shaft bearing.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:23 PM

Could also be the throw out bearing I would say it is something in the clutch area.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my car is making a noise like that also my dad suggested it might be a throw out bearing does anyone have any idea as to how difficult and complicated this is or how long it would take to do at your house if you had all the tools needed
Old 11-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Wild for Width

If your transmission is making a strange "reciprocating" noise when your foot is off the clutch it is the INPUT shaft bearing. It is NOT your throwout bearing.

Your input shaft bearing spins when your foot is off the clutch, the input shaft gets "input" from the motor (meaning the motor makes it spin) when your foot is off the clutch. When you press the clutch pedal, the input shaft stops spinning, that's why the noise goes away.

The throwout bearing DOES NOT SPIN when your foot is off the clutch. It sits there doing nothing - bearings that aren't spinning can't make noise. When you press the clutch pedal, THAT is when your throwout bearing starts spinning. If your throwout bearing was somehow bad, it would make noise when your foot was ON the clutch.
(credit: Nealoc187)
Old 11-12-2006, 09:45 PM

thankyou Fr33way and send my thanks to Nealoc187 and now does any one know how long it would take to fix and i hope all this is still helping you asamu sorry if im hijacking your thread
Old 11-12-2006, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by massfastmax
thankyou Fr33way and send my thanks to Nealoc187 and now does any one know how long it would take to fix and i hope all this is still helping you asamu sorry if im hijacking your thread
No problem. Thank you all for the responses. The shifting in the car is as good as ever, and the only problem i have is with the noise when i am on neutral. How much damage can bad input shaft bearing cause to my transmission or clutch? Depending on how much it would cost i will not be able to fix it for about 6 months plus, and my solution right now is just to raise my stereo volume when i am in neutral.....
Old 11-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Wild for Width

As it degrades, metal is floating around in your (and mine actually) tranny fluid. The time can be weeks to months to over a year as defining "exactly" how bad the sound is cannot be determined.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:20 AM

Throw out bearings still spin, they ride against the pressure plate. Some bearings will make more noise when they are unloaded.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:23 AM

Your input shaft bearing spins when your foot is off the clutch, the input shaft gets "input" from the motor (meaning the motor makes it spin) when your foot is off the clutch. When you press the clutch pedal, the input shaft stops spinning, that's why the noise goes away.

That is WRONG. Your input shaft spins independent of the crank shaft when the clutch is pressed in. Therefore the input shaft bearing IS spinning, allowing the two shafts to rotate independently. When the clutch is out, and you are driving, the clutch "locks" the crank and input shaft together, therefore the input bearing is not being used. Isn't the point of the clucth to engage the engine to the transmission? If the input shaft was spinning with the clutch out, you wouldn't go anywhere
Old 11-13-2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by mikem29ss

That is WRONG. Your input shaft spins independent of the crank shaft when the clutch is pressed in. Therefore the input shaft bearing IS spinning, allowing the two shafts to rotate independently. When the clutch is out, and you are driving, the clutch "locks" the crank and input shaft together, therefore the input bearing is not being used. Isn't the point of the clucth to engage the engine to the transmission? If the input shaft was spinning with the clutch out, you wouldn't go anywhere

dude you think you are right but are soooo wrong its not even funny. the input shaft has two bearing, one on the front, where shaft come out of the transmission and the clutch slips over the splines, and the other one on the other end of the input shaft. they let the shaft spin without grinding metal on metal. when your foot is OFF the clutch, the shaft is spinning at the same speed as the engine, riding on the bearings, which are supposed to be smooth as glass. when you push in the clutch, it disconnects the transmission from the engine, meaning the input shaft stops spinning, and the bearing stops making noise. DON'T post false information as a fact when you dont know what you are talking about. but i guess you cant do that if you dont know you're wrong.

edit: asamu-95max: it is definately the input shaft bearing making that noise, and most likely the front one, by the bellhousing
Old 11-13-2006, 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=acidspit86]
dude you think you are right but are soooo wrong its not even funny. the input shaft has two bearing, one on the front, where shaft come out of the transmission and the clutch slips over the splines, and the other one on the other end of the input shaft. they let the shaft spin without grinding metal on metal. when your foot is OFF the clutch, the shaft is spinning at the same speed as the engine, riding on the bearings, which are supposed to be smooth as glass. when you push in the clutch, it disconnects the transmission from the engine, meaning the input shaft stops spinning, and the bearing stops making noise. DON'T post false information as a fact when you dont know what you are talking about. but i guess you cant do that if you dont know you're wrong.

I agree that the input has 2 bearings, one is a pilot shaft bearing and the other is the input shaft support bearing. The pilot bearing spins when the clutch is released (pedal DOWN), the input support bearing spins when the clutch is engaged (pedal UP). I admit that I misread and thought people were talking about the pilot shaft bearing, because normally, the input support bearings don't go bad nearly as often as the pilot bearings. I have changed enough in my life to know what is what. And I garantee you that my qualifications both as a mechanic and engineer go way beyond yours. You should work on not being a cocky wanna be mechanic when someone makes a mistake.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:45 AM

I still think you should remove the trans and inspect the throw out bearing and pilot shaft bearing, they are prone to failing. Good luck
Old 11-13-2006, 02:22 PM

ok well i have my spare tranny in my garage right now, i will take pictures of the input shaft, and the bearing i speak of, and how it is assembled to show you what i am talking about. but that has to wait until a little later tonight as im busy right now
Old 11-13-2006, 02:48 PM
Livin dreams thru his Maxima

Originally Posted by acidspit86
ok well i have my spare tranny in my garage right now, i will take pictures of the input shaft, and the bearing i speak of, and how it is assembled to show you what i am talking about. but that has to wait until a little later tonight as im busy right now
Please due post pix ... I'm having the same issue ... it would be nice to be able to pinpoint the problem ... thank you

Ali
Old 11-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Wild for Width

Neoloc178 works in a transmission shop.

I think if you were a little more familiar with this unit you would know that the input shaft bearing and preload on the differential bearing and are incorrectly shimmed from the factory. TOB's are nowhere NEAR as common as these two problems.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:20 AM

mine has been making that reciprocating sound for about a year now when my foot is off the clutch pedal in neutral. When i drive and shift gears it does fine.I dropped my tranny about 4 months ago and replace the tob,clutch disk, and pp thinking it was a problem with the throw out bearing. Put everything back together, cranked the car, let off the clutch pedal in neutral and the sound was still there. sucks. So now im basically just driving it until i find out how much it'll be to fix the problem and save up the money...
Old 11-14-2006, 02:34 AM

Hmm that video from youtube is actually my car, which is an auto. What could be causing that noise from my engine?

I'm completly noob when it comes to how the inner workings of the trans work, but i thought only manuals have input shaft bearings? It's coming from the left side like the manual max in this thread.

Also, when im in 4th gear, i can hear a whine/whistle sound when i accel slowly, which i think could be my trans, it sounds a bit like a bearing also.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:11 AM

ok well i have to fix this problem sometime soon and I also want to upgrade myclutch and pp to the 5th gen one. would it make sense for me to do this all at once. it sounds like this is going to be a lot of work does anyone know about how long it will take and the cost of all the parts that way I can determine if Iwill be able to fix this on my own or if I can afford to have my mechanic do it.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:16 AM

also some one said that this i a common problem due to something being shimmed wrong from nissan do they honor this and replace it by a recall or do they make us pay for their mistake
Old 12-04-2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by asamu-95max
My stick shift 1995 maxima SE is making noise in the Engine when it's on idle. The noise i think is coming from the left side of the engine. When i step on the clutch and press it all the way in, the noise completely disappears. The noise that it makes is similar to this one in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWwZf...h=Maximaintake
check the input and output shaft bearings, i had to replace mine, easy fix
Old 12-05-2006, 07:31 AM

bump to top for more nfo