4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Smells like gas on cold engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 08:54 PM

Smells like gas on cold engine

Hey guys,

The past couple days here in houston have been somewhat cooler than usual..anyways, with the onset of the cooler weather, i've noticed that when i get into my car it smells like gas. Its very faint, and when i start the car the smell goes away almost instantly. and it doesn't smell like gas on the outside of my car, just inside if my car's been sittin cold for a while. (ie. mornings, late at night, after work)

i have my own thoughts on this....with the cold weather, rubber tends to shrink, so any types of seals might be shrunk allowing fumes to escape? i'm not sure about the fuel system at all though, so any information is welcomed, should i have the car looked at? (does somethin need to be replaced)?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well getting it looked at, I think depends on whether or not you have easy access to a hydraulic lift... paying for a problem you can probably diagnose on your own doesnt make sense to me. Your situation reminds me of my fuel filter change. My filter was maybe 2-3 years old when I was able to get to it and I noticed a copious amount of condensation on the outside of the filter on a cold engine, smelled faintly of gas, but all went away once things warmed up. My hypothesis is that you are experiencing a similar condition but with your fuel pump assembly because it is accessed through your back seat and would probably smell inside the car. It might be a worn seal. There might also be the possibility that it is the gas tank, as it is directly under your fuel pump. Read some write-ups on fuel pump replacement because if you are going to start replacing seals in that region you might as well just upgrade your fuel pump while you're at it. Good luck, keep us updated!