4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

got a code: 0302

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 05:31 PM

dexter those pictures are f*cking rediculously huge and i cant even make out what im looking at.

Originally Posted by jremignanti
hey chillin and sounbwoy,
did you guys ever feel the valve diaphragm lift when you revved the engine? If you did, how much does it move when you rev? I can't feel mine moving at all.
I'm going to swing by autozone and borrow one of those vacuum pumps to see if I can get the valve to move with that and how much pressure it takes and then compare that to the amount of vacuum I'm getting to the valve. That should tell me for sure if the EGR valve is bad or if the vacuum source is too weak.
Which would then have to mean that the problem is somewhere in the vac lines or it the BPT valve since that cuts and controls the vacuum to the main egr valve.
ugh... too many valves... at least I understand EGR now. that hasn't help me find the problem. btw, I failed my inspection last month so now I'm on the clock to fix this one.
i was on the clock to fix mine too due to inspection but ended up just paying a guy to pass me because i had like 300 dollars invested in the stupid *** project and i wasnt about to pay for another inspection that i was gonna fail.

i felt my valve lift a litttttle bit when i revved, not enough tohugh obviously. you seem to be on the right track with your whole process of elimination though. let me know what you figure out.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:35 PM

brb. i have to run across the street so i can see the whole picture.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:46 PM

much better.

I say 2da MizzaX's write-up get put in the How To Stickies, for future reference, it was very helpful, straight-forward and cleared lots of doubts.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:38 PM

glad i could help and you saved yoruself some nice change.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:58 PM

Glad you found it. That's a familiar picture!! 95% of the time the valve isn't the faulty part. I think people look at that because it's easier to get to no matter how many times we tell them the big EGR tube is clogged.

For Jremignanti: I never tested the valve. The most I did was push up the diaphragm and hold my finger over the port. It held. I changed it out anyway.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:39 PM

UPDATE: Got bored and since it was still nice outside to work (tommorow will be low 20's) I decided to get as far through as possible, took me about an hour to clear out all the build-up from the back of the intake where the pipe meets (WHICH WAS CLOGGED EVEN WORSE THAN THE PIPE ITSELF!!) the pipe itself took about 20 mins, after that I reassembled everything and noticed that along the way I lost one of the coolant hose clamps (if I had to pick out something to lose it would have been that since they are easy to replace so I'm not bummed out) put everything back together and will get a new clamp tomorrow, can't wait to fire it up and see if theres any improvement (i'm willing to say about 1/4 pound of carbon build-up without exaggerating overall was removed from the pipe and the Intake so I have high expectations)

Can't wait to fire it up!!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:19 AM

Well, let me go ahead and bust your bubble now, but I think you already know....you won't feel a difference. Remember, the EGR just helps to pull exhaust back into the engine to be reburned and works primarily at cruising speeds. The entire time mine was clogged, I still got good power and mileage. Don't forget to reset the ECU. Again, good job!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sounbwoy
Well, let me go ahead and bust your bubble now, but I think you already know....you won't feel a difference. Remember, the EGR just helps to pull exhaust back into the engine to be reburned and works primarily at cruising speeds. The entire time mine was clogged, I still got good power and mileage. Don't forget to reset the ECU. Again, good job!
I thought it would regain some power with a clean valve

oh well still saved myself some serious waddage
Old 12-07-2006, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dexter
I thought it would regain some power with a clean valve

oh well still saved myself some serious waddage
remmeber how you described the IAC Valve? you will feel a difference in idle and throttle response and idle. not to mention the $$$ and the CEL being gone (assuming nothing else is wrong).
Old 12-07-2006, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by 2da mizzax
remmeber how you described the IAC Valve? you will feel a difference in idle and throttle response and idle. not to mention the $$$ and the CEL being gone (assuming nothing else is wrong).
YEAH I'm hoping for an improvement in throttle response since it has been kinda saggy lately

A few things I found along the way that might help your write-up:

-a 3/4" closed end wrench with a slight angle on the closed end works better for leverage than a flathead.
-a really-short flathead can serve as a chisel for the carbon build-up behind the intake.
-in case the nut doesn't come out in one piece a 5mm-6mm (i think I used a 5.5mm) lug can get it out.
-you're not done cleaning out the hole behind the intake until your finger can go all the way through and you can see it looking in where the IAV goes.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:46 PM

update: put everything back together, and fired it up, everything sounds fine, haven't driven it yet (cuz I barely got back from work and started putting stuff back together) but already I feel a better throttle response , I jumped in as soon as I got home and almost ruined an $80 shirt and I didn't think about it until after I was done , if that aint love for the MAX I dunno what is

thanks again to 2da MizzaX for the walkthrough.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dexter

thanks again to 2da MizzaX for the walkthrough.
Hey you did the work, not me. just glad i could help.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:48 PM

Took it out on a Test Drive and DAYUM!!!!

IT FEELS LIKE IT JUST GOT OFF THE ASSEMBLY LINE!!! DAMN There is a world of difference before cleaning and after cleaning, throttle response is smooth and acceleration is quicker than EVER!! I think the MAX has never driven so well since I got it.

Now I'm gonna use the money I saved to get a Y-Pipe.

Driving is FUN AGAIN!!!!

Thanks ALL!!!