4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Budget Y + Cat + SP2 = Weird Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:47 PM
C++

Budget Y + Cat + SP2 = Weird Noise

Hi,
I just noticed this sound when I drive around in my car. It's weird I had my Y-pipe, cat and SP2 installed about a month ago.

Now the weather is getting colder and I am getting weird noises. I have had my car for a year now, and last year I never got these sounds which is why I am confused.

Like I would turn my car on and it would sound normal. I would stop at a light and I hear noises from my pipes. Like its vibrating back and forth or something. It is very odd. I think it may be my hangers but I am not sure.

Along with that when I am crusing around sometimes, the exhuast sounds like butt. I don't know why. But it's really annoying. I checked the gaskets and it seems fine. Maybe it's just me, but I think something is wrong.

Any ideas?

Thank You
C++

Old 12-04-2006, 05:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Possibly the 'bees in a can' noise people are always talking about with new exhaust setups. Happens because of the lack of a resonator in the exhaust.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:59 PM

i think all the sp2 setups with after market y-pipes sound like "butt" u wouldn't been much better off with a budget b-pipe and muffler or budget b and Apexi WS2 muffler.

Resonated B-pipe FTW
Old 12-04-2006, 06:12 PM
B!tch We Got a Problem

I also had a noise coming from my LSS y-pipe! The sound was on the passenger side floor. The flex pipe should be straight. After supporting it, the noise was gone!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Team Ramrod

Sounds like you just have a leak.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:32 PM
C++

Like today, I was in reverse, and I could hear and feel something vibrating from under the car somewhere. Prolly around the rear end of the car...

Old 12-05-2006, 01:01 PM

have you tried putting the stock muffler back on ?
Old 12-05-2006, 01:04 PM
What was that?

Try going under the car and shaking the pipes around to make sure everthing is snug. If so then it must be coming from a leak or just bad exhaust tones.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:40 PM
C++

Originally Posted by x X CLoud X x
have you tried putting the stock muffler back on ?

I can't. I threw it out.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:42 PM
C++

Originally Posted by Caracicatriz
Try going under the car and shaking the pipes around to make sure everthing is snug. If so then it must be coming from a leak or just bad exhaust tones.

Well just like most people I don't have my Y-Pipe hanger on because it wouldn't fit properly.

But I think I know what the problem is. There is a hanger right where the pipe bends for the first time, I put a hose clamp around it, and I think it either came loose or is falling apart or something, beecause my B-pipe is hanging lower

Old 12-06-2006, 07:42 AM

im putting my budget y and sp2 on around 12.. if i have any problems w bees in a can or leaks im gonna be pist off
Old 12-06-2006, 02:38 PM
C++

Originally Posted by happy4444
im putting my budget y and sp2 on around 12.. if i have any problems w bees in a can or leaks im gonna be pist off

Well how did it go?

Old 12-06-2006, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by C++
Well how did it go?

it was a disaster..... the very first bolt i took off the manifold snapped, and i thought it was gonna be a long day, but luckily the rest came out easy. all the bolts attached to the body came off fine but the bolts that hold the exhaust piping together-FORGET IT.. i took the entire exhaust off in once peice except for the muffler and threw it all the fu@k out. thank god budget gave their free test pipe because my cat was impossible to get off. the nuts that are originally 14mm were rusted enough to fit a 12mm socket, and they wouldnt budge. so i threw the test pipe on and its fine till i order a cat tomorrow b/c it smells. other than the maifold bolt breaking installing the NEW exhaust with all the old **** removed took an hour w 2 ppl...

THIS IS AN ALL DAY PROJECT!! like 10am to 5pm.. i thought itd take a few hours but i ran into trouble w the manifold. i ended up drillign it all the way through and using a bolt and nut. you never know wut to expect so set plenty of time aside.

overall the sp2, budget y, and test pipe sound OK.. i wasnt too impressed, but im hoping when i get a cat it will sound better.... it pretty much sounds like a pontiac grand am or grand prix.. one of those V6's, and i hate it lol.... ill have to see how it sounds wit the new cat. im prayin it will sound better or else having an exhaust is gonna get old realllllll quick..

o yea gains.... hmm idk to be honest w u guys i mean im sure it did something but i gotta wait for the ecu to adjust...

hope this helps!
Old 12-06-2006, 11:09 PM
C++

Originally Posted by happy4444
it was a disaster..... the very first bolt i took off the manifold snapped, and i thought it was gonna be a long day, but luckily the rest came out easy. all the bolts attached to the body came off fine but the bolts that hold the exhaust piping together-FORGET IT.. i took the entire exhaust off in once peice except for the muffler and threw it all the fu@k out. thank god budget gave their free test pipe because my cat was impossible to get off. the nuts that are originally 14mm were rusted enough to fit a 12mm socket, and they wouldnt budge. so i threw the test pipe on and its fine till i order a cat tomorrow b/c it smells. other than the maifold bolt breaking installing the NEW exhaust with all the old **** removed took an hour w 2 ppl...

THIS IS AN ALL DAY PROJECT!! like 10am to 5pm.. i thought itd take a few hours but i ran into trouble w the manifold. i ended up drillign it all the way through and using a bolt and nut. you never know wut to expect so set plenty of time aside.

overall the sp2, budget y, and test pipe sound OK.. i wasnt too impressed, but im hoping when i get a cat it will sound better.... it pretty much sounds like a pontiac grand am or grand prix.. one of those V6's, and i hate it lol.... ill have to see how it sounds wit the new cat. im prayin it will sound better or else having an exhaust is gonna get old realllllll quick..

o yea gains.... hmm idk to be honest w u guys i mean im sure it did something but i gotta wait for the ecu to adjust...

hope this helps!

Yeah def wait for the ECU to reset, you'll notice a HUGE difference. I know I did... Just drive like 200 miles and you'll see

Old 12-07-2006, 09:24 AM

c+ does urs sound liek a pontiac too or is it my cat?